A Goodreads user asked Anne Lamott:

One of the experiences you share in your writing is that of having had an abortion—can you share some advice about discussing this topic compassionately with conservative Christian friends, who seem to prefer spouting talking points to engaging the (woman's) human cost in this topic?

Anne Lamott I don't personally find it useful to talk about abortion, Obamacare, immigration, or the environment with my conservative friends. We will NEVER change each others' thinking, and will ruin the meal or coffee or mood by trying. I ask myself frequently, "Would you rather be right, or would you rather be happy?". That settles for me.
People get to think what they want, and I do, too. But I hate arguments and debate--I always have since I was a little child. I do what I can to advance the causes I so passionately believe in, and I try to tell the truth, and then I have it to let it go at that.