Charity Kelly
Charity Kelly asked:

Her name is Mia? Huh? What?

To answer questions about A Mango-Shaped Space, please sign up.
Siv I don't understand why her name confuses you...? It's her name. Nor do I understand the comment about unhealthy family relationships. They seemed like a pretty average family to me, different personalities bouncing off each other at different times in different ways.
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) Yeah, I noticed that too. "Mia" is "mine" in Spanish or Italian. Perhaps her parents admired Mia Farrow in the sixties or something; otherwise, it just goes to show how unhealthy the family relationships are. Her mom should have read Kahlil Gibran: "Your children are not your children. They are the sons and the daughters of life's longing for itself. They come through you, though they are not of you, and though they be with you, they belong not to you. You can give them your love, but not your thoughts; they have their own thoughts. You can house their bodies but not their souls, for their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow, which you cannot visit--not even in your dreams. You can strive to be like them, but you cannot make them just like you."
D Mia is a name with many meanings... it can be a diminuitive of Maria/Mary/Miriam, with all the Biblical and cultural associations that go with those names, or it can mean "mine" in various languages, as some have noted, or "beloved" in Danish (or so I have read... I do not speak Danish myself).
Juli I love the name Mia! :)
Pooppoopmysoup mia is a name what a pain lol dat rymes heheh
Image for A Mango-Shaped Space
by Wendy Mass (Goodreads Author)