Charles Kell
Charles Kell asked Ben Marcus:

Dear Ben, I am a huge fan of your texts and find them unlike any other thing being currently written. Can you talk briefly about John Hawkes--your interactions with him; ways he has possibly influenced you; perhaps (and this is cliché) some "writerly" advice he has given to you?

Ben Marcus I got to Brown after John Hawkes retired, so I sadly missed out on him as a teacher. But I've heard the most incredible testimonies — Jeffrey Eugenides has spoken about what a tremendous teacher Hawkes was. I met him a few times at Robert Coover's house. He was hilarious, warm, brilliant. Of course I was terrified of him, because I'd read all of his books and I had no idea what to do with the real person in front of me. He had no idea, rightly so, who I was. I was just an interloping student, eating Pilar Coover's amazing food. I'm sure I looked like a stunned beast to him. That's what I felt like.