Jennifer
Jennifer asked Scott Hildreth:

What's your writing process? Where do your ideas come from? Are they deep, from things you've experienced… or the back of a cereal box?

Scott Hildreth I sit down for about half a day and develop the characters in my head. Who they are, not really much other than that.

And I become intimate with them. Background, history, etc. And let them just take off and do what they do. For instance, the scene in Broken People when the Fat Kid kicks the peanut butter across the store....

I had no idea that was going to happen. He merely went in for chocolate bars. But that scene became instrumental in telling the story.

So, the characters are based on my understanding of people. And eventually, the characters simply do what they do.

I think it gives my writing depth and it doesn't ever seem rehearsed. It seems more real to life.

Short answer.

Cereal box.