Jess
Jess asked Tana French:

Hi Tana! One thing I really love about your books is the way that they look at bigger societal issues while also dealing with the mystery at hand, like the gender dynamics of In the Woods and the class struggles in Faithful Place. What is the writing process like for including these concepts? Are they something you strategically set out to include or do they flow naturally from the characters and the story?

Tana French Thank you very much :-) That's not a deliberate plan (I almost never have anything like a plan) - the themes just sort of work their way in. I think it's because when you write psychological crime, you spend a lot of time thinking about *why* this specific character would commit such an immense crime as murder - and the answer is often (not always) rooted deeply not only in the individual character, but in the flaws and priorities of the society around him or her. So, to one extent or another, societal issues tend to seep into the books.