Sophie
Sophie asked Alice Oseman:

I just want to say that Solitaire is now one of my favourite books and I only brought it yesterday and finished it this morning! You really are amazing, this might sound silly but thank you so much for writing Solitaire and making it relatable and just *squeals and flaps arms to express my thanks* I can't wait for your next book!!!

Alice Oseman "Sorry I couldn't fit it all in one question because of characters length -_- but how did you come up with this idea, I really want to write but when I try to write about reality stuff which is something I'd love to do, I just go blank or make things to complicated. Do you have any advice?? Thank you!"

Thank you so so much, I'm so happy you enjoyed it!

Solitaire started with the characters - I thought about them for months, figuring out their voices and their relationships to each other. I wanted to write them so badly but I wasn't sure how to put them into a story. So I sat down in front of a Word document and told myself - okay, you have to come up with a plot for these characters. And I then thought, what's a really interesting, weird thing that could happen at a school to create some drama? And that's when I thought "pranks".

My advice for creating a plot is just come up with one single line that summarises what happens. Mine is something along the lines of "anonymous bloggers prank a school and it gets a bit out of hand".