Goodreads asked J. Leigh Bralick:

J. Leigh Bralick The Madness Method series was actually inspired by a guy I knew just a little...he would randomly disappear for months at a time, and was always very cagey about talking about his job. I had a notion he was in law enforcement, so I did some research on working as an undercover agent. What I found was just fascinating, and kind of heartbreaking too.

I was particularly struck by the thought of what it would be like to build friendships and trust with people you know from the beginning you are going to betray. I tried to imagine what that would be like...how hard that would be. And I remember thinking, wouldn't it be even harder for a young man who already struggles with wanting true friendship and acceptance? How would that kind of life affect him? That's how Prince Tarik was born.