Goodreads asked P.D. Gyngell:

P.D. Gyngell Writer's block, horrible thing that. When this happens my first plan of attack is to drop everything. Forget about sitting there waiting for the blank computer screen to magically give you direction, that is just not going to happen.
So what I tend to do is accept the fact, wait for my next day off and then go out for a really long walk with my dog. Within the first five minutes my mind is cleansed. The next twenty is generally spent in getting my dog under control and then everything after that gives me the oppotunity to work out a solution.
Usually I get back, have a cuppa and try again. If I still have the dreaded block I will write anything that comes to mind, if still, nothing happens I will repeat the process.