Goodreads asked P.D. Gyngell:

P.D. Gyngell My most recent book 'The China Piece Pile" which can be found on amazon kindle as an ebook and soon to be a paper book on createspace, (sorry about the plug I just couldn't help it.) was formed when I was delivering kitchens for a living.
I got into my transit van one lovely summer's morning ready to resign myself to another day of work. As I pulled away from my house in Westerham, Kent, I noticed I had a spider happily sitting in its web between my side mirror and door.
As I drove away and toward my place of work in Morden, Surrey, the spider remained. I arrived an hour later and still it was there. It was at that moment that I thought, 'This spider is now as far away from its familiar surroundings as it possibly could be. How the hell is it going to deal with that? How would I deal with that?"
To this day, I thank that spider for giving me the inspiration to get off my arse and write something to full completion. I hope it lived a happy life!!