A Goodreads user asked Dan Brown:

I would like to know, as an author, how much reading should you be doing to refine your writing skills? Also how much daily reading do you do whilest busy working on your novel? Thank you.

Dan Brown Reading great novels is crucial to the development of any novelist, and there is no substitute for reading voraciously. At the same time, it is important that a novelist develop his or her own distinct voice and writing style. From the standpoint of giving your mind the creative space to find your own voice, I would recommend that you not read other novels while writing your own novel. Some writers will strongly disagree with this notion, but I believe that nature abhors a vacuum; that is, the less you read (while actively writing), the more eagerly your mind will strive to create. In my experience, a distinct voice will more readily emerge from silence than from cacophony.
Dan Brown