Kshitiz Agrawal

i want to start reading Lee child , will it be a good idea to start from his first book Killing floor ? (for Jack Reachers character building )or i can hop on to any book? what would you say ?

To answer questions about Killing Floor, please sign up.
Jeff I've read 18 of 20 in order (I missed one book, and am about to start reading "Make Me"). I don't think you have to read them in order (other than 17,18,19 since they are part of a 3 story arc) , but I highly recommend starting with Killing Floor. The first 3 paragraphs are still one of the coolest things I've ever read from this type of genre. Awesome start to a book. Almost every book could be read independently, though Child does reference past stories from time to time, he does a good job of giving you the pertinent information that you need.
Brent Winters
Teri Christman I started with a random one and really liked it so I decided to go back and read them in order. I am really enjoying the overall character development that runs through the series. It does add to the stories. They definitely refer back to early things you would miss or not understand if you read them out of order.
Annotaré From bookseriesinorder.com

Chronological Order of Jack Reacher Books

In chronological order, The Enemy would be the first book to read, as it takes place while Reacher is still in the Military followed by Night School. The Affair would be the next book to read, as it covers the end of Reachers Military career, and leads into Killing Floor. The short stories have Second Son(Reacher is 13) and High Heat(Reacher is 16).

After that, all books would go by the order that they were published. Persuader also had flashbacks to during Reacher’s military career.
Daniel Tartaglia I read the first book because of the same concern you expressed in your question. I have now started on the second book and I'm about half-way through... All the information about the character in the first book is turned into a monolog in the second book. He even makes a one sentence reference to the events in the first book... Also, all the same set-pieces from the first book are in the second, but the second one has more action and IMO better pacing.

I think you could skip the first book without much problem. I don't know if you can skip the second or not and I won't know until I started on the third. :-)
Hogenmogen My local library is small and doesn't have a lot of books. It has several Jack Reachers, but not Killing Floor. I've read 4-5 of them. I could easily follow who he was, because there is always the explanation in the first few chapters. There are some references in various books about his backstory and why he left the military and how he got his money and all that. I don't know if Killing Floor has that. Normally, it's not important to the story being told.
Mikey Inglish It's probably his greatest. One of the two best books anyways. Start with this one for sure.
L8blmr I did the exact same thing as Teri and agree that it is better to start at the beginning. Though each story could probably stand alone, there will be references to earlier events, I imagine, and Jack's own development as sort of an anti-hero hero. In particular, there is an event in the first book that could have a lasting effect on him.
Paul Raymer This is the first of his series that I have read, but I always think it is a good idea to start from the beginning.
Melinda If I know a book is from a series, I like to start with the first book. I didn't realize the book I chose while at the library was a series until I started reading it. Our library is small and doesn't have the whole series, so I read almost all of them out of order. I still haven't read every book in the series. I would suggest if you can to start at the beginning.
Jim Chandler Yes. It's the way I started and now I have read them all.
E.R. Yatscoff Read my thrillers. Lee Child sells plenty enough books.
Kathy Read in chronological order, start with The Enemy, the Night Schoo, the Affair, then Killing Floor
Baden Eunson
Charlie Farley Yes - read them in order. It always makes more sense.
Kumari de Silva You can hop into any book. They are all fine stand alone, the author will give you enough clues to figure out what's going on. . .but - - but why would you want to read 'em all out of order? I say start with "The Enemy" which provides the backstory or "The Killing Floor" which was the first one published
Marilyn Brazier Not really but I would recommend you do. The back story adds more to Reacher the man but each book is complete, This is a slow burner, but is well worth it. He drinks less coffee this time.

Mdutch Yes! Because after the first book, you can be done with the whole series. I've only read four, but regretted all but the first one. Go back and read Bourne to remember how a real action thriller reads.
Simon Thorpe Right after reading the entire Rebus collection, I am ready for Jack!
Rob Robinson I've read them all and I would suggest starting with the first one and working your way through them. The backstory on his previous life experiences does follow chronologically from one book to the next.
Cathy Sturm I always like to read any series in order but i don't think you HAVE to ...there is a 3 book arc ...I think it's the 16th 17th & 18th which DO need to be read in order
Stephen Arnott Although most of the books are stand-alone, start with the 'Killing Floor'. It's a good introduction to the character and his family background.
Kevin If you like thrillers with lots of action that reads like a movie, than you should read the first one. I recently finished it and it was exactly like a movie I saw not too long ago. I liked it but that's just my opinion.
The first one is good if you want to know what kind of person Reacher is but that's why there's a second book.
Wendy I started just past the middle of the series, and liked it so much that after 4 books, I went back to the beginning. Yes it's important for character building to start from the beginning and get to know Reacher and what happens around him, but having said that, each book does stand on it's own as a good read. Personally I like following a character through many books and it becomes a bit like a TV soap opera, you know him to some degree and he's like an old friend after a while.
Carol Seeger You can read them in any order. They do not follow one another. However, I always try to read in book order just encase the author slips in a ringer.
S.T. King I personally don't think it matters where you start as from at least the first three stories (the ones I've read) the stories are different entirely. In other words, the stories seem to be independent of each other -- that is, the first is not connected to the second and so on.

Killing floor is my favorite of the first three.
Image for Killing Floor
by Lee Child (Goodreads Author)