Bridget
Bridget asked Michael Pollan:

What impact do you believe your writing has had on the American diet?

Michael Pollan It's hard to say except anecdotally, but one curious effect has been on meat-eating among my readers. After Omnivore's Dilemma came out, I heard from many people who said that, after reading my depiction of industrial animal agriculture, they no longer ate meat and had become vegetarians. Yet at the same time I heard from a number of vegans and vegetarians writing to say that, after reading the SAME book, they had decided to begin eating meat again-- because they had learned about a humane and sustainable way of raising meat animals (in my depiction of Joel Salatin's farm) that they wanted to support. It gratified me that people could reach such different conclusions from the same book.
But overall, it's hard to believe my work has affected the American way of eating except at the margins.
Michael Pollan