A Goodreads user asked Jeff Strand:

Wow! What a range on the genre. Interested in how this happened. Humor and then Horror? I'm sure there is an interesting story behind this. Thanks for any replies. BTW, haven't read any of your books yet, but you caught my interest at the library and I think I will start the first one tonight.

Jeff Strand Hi, Cindy! Even though I became a huge horror movies/fiction fan in high school, I was a humor writer, and my early novels (How to Rescue a Dead Princess, Out of Whack, Elrod McBugle on the Loose) aren't horror at all, though I did write some horror stuff that was never published.

Graverobbers Wanted (No Experience Necessary), the first Andrew Mayhem novel, was meant to be a comedic whodunnit mystery. The book ended up MUCH darker than I'd anticipated, but still, I considered it a mystery novel.

Readers and reviewers, on the other hand, called it a horror novel, which was totally fine with me. I decided that I needed to "brand" myself better to build an audience, so I embraced the "humorous horror" label and that's all I wrote for a while.

I've since done "serious" horror novels (PRESSURE, DWELLER), and, more recently, comedy novels with no horror (KUMQUAT, I HAVE A BAD FEELING ABOUT THIS), but my next two books, WOLF HUNT 2 and FACIAL, both combine horror and humor. Who knows what I'll do after that...?