James Cardona
James Cardona asked James Cardona:

When and where do you write? Can you write anywhere or does the location have to be quiet and alone? Do you have any rituals that you do when you write?

James Cardona My writing occurs in a several step process and each of these steps requires a different setting. So I guess it kind of depends on if we are talking about idea formulation, putting the first words to paper or editing.

But in general I like to write alone and in a distraction free environment. I also do not like to write unless I have a several-hour block of time so that I can really start flowing. If I only have a few minutes or tens of minutes, I will edit though.

As to the ritual part of the question, I think I am a bit of an oddball because I like to set the atmosphere of the room to the scene that I am working on. So for example, if I am writing a romantic scene, I will put on soft music, dim the light and recline with my laptop on my belly. For intense action scenes I will put on pulse-pounding music, put the computer on the table and stand in front of it. My wife thinks it's hilarious because I sometimes bounce around and wave my hands during the creation of those intense scenes.

For the book I am working on now, The Dark Castle: Book 2 of The Apprentice Series, I am trying something new which is dictation software. It feels really weird to me so far, but it is an experiment so I am going with it for at least a little while. I am hoping that it will decrease the time it takes me to complete a book by a sizable percentage. We'll see.