Heidi Cooke
Heidi Cooke asked Susan Vreeland:

I really enjoy the fact that your books are based on weaving fiction around art history. What was your inspiration for Lisette's List?

Susan Vreeland It first came from the place, Roussillon. For that, please see a prior question, "How did you decide on the location of your story?" several questions earlier. The setting in Provence led me to the Postimpressionist Cézanne, a native son of Provence. To set a novel in Provence without featuring him would have been an artistic and literary crime. Then, to give a sense of the progress of art history, I added the Impressionist Pissarro, the modernist, Picasso, and the post-modernist, Chagall. The story also came from my outrage at the German seizure of art of the countries under Occupation. That gave me the idea of hidden paintings being stolen, although at the beginning, I didn't know how to accomplish this. I got a clearer notion of the story after about the fifth draft.