Tumer
Tumer asked Susan Vreeland:

Dear Susan regards from Cyprus. I am an Author of one book which very soon it will be complete. Please tell me your experience on how you a broach a publisher company when you write your first book? Give me your advice on how I should go on, on that subject. Look forward for your reply all the best Tumer

Susan Vreeland My first caution is that you don't submit it to a publisher as soon as you finish a first draft. Do many revisions. Have other writers read it and give you feedback. Don't defend your work to them. Take their solid criticism to heart, and revise, revise, revise. I usually write twelve drafts. As a beginning writer, you probably won't write that many because you won't know how to revise them, but certainly you will revise about five times.

From reference books, find the names and addresses of literary agents and send out about three letters of inquiry describing your book in one or two short paragraphs. Do not send out the entire manuscript, and never send what an agent has not asked for. He may make a decision on reading only three opening chapters. In that case, do not give him more than that. As one letter come back declining representation, don't be disheartened. Immediately rewrite your letter of inquiry and send it to another agent. Don't be ashamed if it takes a dozen inquiries before you find an agent willing to represent you. Then it's up to that agent to sell the book to a publisher. When he is successful at that, he will get 15% of what you earn on the book.

Before you send out those letters of inquiry, take a look at my page, "Thoughts on Writing", http://www.svreeland.com/writing.html. Read it multiple times. At the base of the page are some topics that refer you to other advice pages. Read "Developing Your Characters" and "Revision Checklist" and revise according to the suggestions on both of those pages. Only then will you be ready to send out a letter of inquiry.

My best wishes,
Susan Vreeland