Bonnie Bennett
Bonnie Bennett asked Andrew Shaffer:

How do you come up with your stories? And another thing, do you know from the start how everything is going to turn out? Or do you let the characters "tell you" what should happen as you write each book?

Andrew Shaffer If I prepare an outline and know the answer to every question, I usually lose interest in writing the book. The fun part is getting to know the characters, and seeing where they'll lead me. Stephen King says it's like being a paleontologist, dusting the ground away from a fossil until the full shape of the dinosaur reveals itself.

That said, it's a heck of a lot easier to write a book if you have an outline prepared -- just not as enjoyable. I go back and forth on this issue...my process really depends on the book.