Jessica
Jessica asked:

I wish I could watch the horror films of Stanislas Cordova! Any suggestions for similar filmmakers I could try instead?

To answer questions about Night Film, please sign up.
M Jessica, me too! :) In addition to the Lynch, Kubrick and von Trier suggested below, I'd also suggest Dario Argento's 'Suspiria.' It ends in a silly way but up until then it's very eerie, with a nice, creepy score, and amazing visuals/production design.
Patrick Brown A few suggestions:

Michael Haneke's films, especially Funny Games and Cache. Nobody implicate's the audience quite like Haneke, and I think his twisty, anxiety-riddled films would be vaguely like Cordova's.

The Korean version of Old Boy (directed by Chan-wook Park). A very situational and psychological approach to a thriller. I wouldn't necessarily call it a horror movie, but it is, without a doubt, horrifying.

And though they aren't horror films, certain Bergman movies might be appropriate. I'm thinking mainly of Persona here.

Lastly, there are some moments of pure terror in the Japanese film Pulse (directed by Kiyoshi Kurosawa). Overall, I don't think it's a great film, but there is one scene that makes me scared just thinking about it.
Paul Dabrowski I would have to say check filmmakers of the Italian giallo period, those of the like Bava, Fulçi, Argento. Very twisted.
Julie Levenhagen One of Cordova's movies described reminded me of Repulsion, directed by Roman Polanski. Psychological terror at its best.
Rachel C. David Lynch! Start with "Mulholland Drive" - very hallucinatory and moody. Or try "Antichrist" directed by Lars von Trier.
Ryan I felt the same way after reading this book. So, I looked up different lists of "most disturbing films" and came up with quite a few, but most didn't seem very "Cordova". There was a lot of torture-porn, like "A Serbian Film" and "Human Centipede" (which is actually uber-gross comedy, at least that's how I viewed it.), some Japanese torture-horror, like "Audition" (which bored me, frankly). I just got the sense that while Cordova was very disturbing, he did it in a much more subtle way, leaving his gross scenes (fingers hacked off pressed against the car window) for when they'd be the most shocking and effective. I also felt like his films would be well plotted, and not overly artsy.

So I refined my search and came across this list: http://www.tasteofcinema.com/2014/25-...

This is more along the lines of what I imagine Cordova to be like. More Lynch/Argento/Hitchcock/Kubrick, and less Miike/Roth/von Trier.

For example, I just watched von Trier's "Antichrist" and had this to say to friends: "well, it'll be memorable, but that's about as much as I can say for it. There are better films out there that explore grief and loss, though none, perhaps, as artsy or graphic. I can't say as I recommend this film be watched by anyone. Someone I read described this film as "suicidal" and perhaps that's the best description. It's gross, overly-sexualized in a torture-porn sort of way, with scenes designed simply to shock and not as the result of what one could consider reasoned actions by the characters. If it has any redeemeing qualities, the acting by Charlotte Gainesbourg was really good. You believed her almost all of the way through this dark spiral."

So, if that's what you think Cordova would be like, check it out. If not, maybe try a few from the list linked above. Hope that's helpful!
Layne There's a French horror film called "Martyrs." It is not for the squeamish, has serious psychological elements, as well as some torture-porn like the Hostel movies. Ambiguous ending and interpretations.
Louise The car with the missing finger scene made me think of something Takashi Miike would do -- one of those "I have to look away or I'm going to throw up" scenes.
Kel Midthnaetitulla I'm late to the party, but Niko Nikolaidis's "Singapore Sling" would definitely fit the night film movie bill.
Evan Hammerman I'm surprised no one mentioned "Salo" by the Italian director that was murdered (sorry, cranial vapor lock on his name).
KATHLEEN Not really film, but that "Dark Mirror" series on Netflix scared me right off on the first episode or two and it seemed Cordova-like to me. Don't know if I will go back-definitely not during an anxious/depressed time in my life.
Max Rohleder Try any of Max Castle's work.
Tom Check out the recent movie "John Dies At The End." It is one of the most bizarre, insane, unbalancing things I've ever seen. I feel like it's something Cordova might have made if Cordova was into fart jokes.
Mkfs There was a neat film a couple years ago called Berberian Sound Studio that was about the strange goings-on during the filming of shlock horror film. It's worth a watch.

For classic horror directors, Argento is the man. Also check out John Carpenter, Wes Craven. "Cordova" might be alluding to Jesus Franco.
Ami I would also suggest Dario Argento's line of work. In fact, Dario was who I had in mind the entire time reading this novel. Both directors have a few similarities.
Katie Alejandro Jodorowsky! Especially the part where the movies were banned but people were watching them anyways!
Margaux Andrea According to an interview with Marisha Pessl, Cordova was inspired by the myth surrounding Stanley Kubrick... so "The Shining" perhaps?
Dan I see some similarities to Darren Aronofsky. It's been a wile since I saw Pi, but as I read Nightfilm I remember thinking that tone-wise it was very similar to Aronofsky's early film. That and the sheer creepy bizarreness.

Cordova's films would be much darker and complex, but I still have to say The Blair Witch Project. They both have in common that unseen terror.
Image for Night Film
by Marisha Pessl (Goodreads Author)