Charlie
Charlie asked:

Does anyone else find it funny that if a vampire takes the another vampires blood they learn all their secrets but when Matthew drains Phillipe Matthew does not learn about Diane or any of the other secrets.

To answer questions about The Book of Life, please sign up.
Rebecca
Marissa Lewis I think this is because Phillipe's mind was so twisted and lost at the time of his death that whatever thoughts and secrets he had would have been so convoluted Matthew wouldn't have been able to make any sense of them.
Holly
Martha First of all, it's stated repeatedly that the memories a vampire gets by feeding are fleeting snippets, not coherent cinematic productions. Second, Philippe's memories were purposely scrambled by a witch (implied to be Janet) before he was captured by Benjamin, so that Benjamin wouldn't get the information he was seeking. Third, by this time, Philippe's memories of 16th century Diana are, well, centuries old, and vampire feeding goes for the recent memories, not the ancient ones. So yes, Matthew got his father's memories... of being tortured. If he got snippets of Diana in there (possibly because she timewalked to comfort Philippe in his time of need, as she promised him), it'd be just another incomprehensible image in among all the pain.
MJ It's been a while since I read this book, and it truly pissed me off, so I haven't re-read, but I seem to remember it as both the 'scrambled mind' and Phillipe purposefully withholding that information. He knew his death was coming, he also knew Mathew couldn't be let in on his future without causing damage.
Selena I was thinking about this as I re-listened to the Book of life and while I agree with the previous answer, could someone like Gallowglass or Fernando who knew what was coming have taken a bit of Phillipe's blood for just those memories?
Image for The Book of Life
by Deborah Harkness (Goodreads Author)