Start by marking “The Book of Life (All Souls Trilogy, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Book of Life (All Souls Trilogy, #3)

The Book of Life

(All Souls Trilogy #3)

4.18  ·  Rating details ·  113,838 ratings  ·  9,878 reviews
The #1 New York Times bestselling series finale and sequel to A Discovery of Witches and Shadow of Night

Bringing the magic and suspense of the All Souls Trilogy to a deeply satisfying conclusion, this highly anticipated finale went straight to #1 on the New York Times bestseller list. In The Book of Life, Diana and Matthew time-travel back from Elizabethan London to make a dramatic return t
Published July 15th 2014 by Viking Adult (first published July 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Book of Life, please sign up.
Cam A feminist? Hardly. It's yet another book where the male romantic lead exhibits controlling behaviors reminiscent of abusers that are written off as…moreA feminist? Hardly. It's yet another book where the male romantic lead exhibits controlling behaviors reminiscent of abusers that are written off as "protective," or otherwise explained away ("he's centuries old! he's old fashioned!"). Ugh. So sick of this crap. (Note: I'm not saying I hate the books. I've read all three and I love the witchy parts. I just can't stand controlling, in-the-real-world-he'd-be-an-abuser asshole Matthew.)(less)
Shakya Kayne Just as a tree can be grafted with another tree to make a new species, so can human DNA. Also if you think of our junk DNA as sleepers cells that can…moreJust as a tree can be grafted with another tree to make a new species, so can human DNA. Also if you think of our junk DNA as sleepers cells that can be woken at any time under the right circumstances then you start to get the idea. When a Witch made a child with a Daemon they produce a new species or one with subtle differences and as such new or different abilities. Matthew's human DNA had a sleeper cell that produced blood rage when it was woken by the introduction of Vampire DNA. Hope this helps.(less)

·  113,838 ratings  ·  9,878 reviews

Start your review of The Book of Life (All Souls Trilogy, #3)
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
What a huge let down this book was. I'm talking EPIC proportion let down.

First of all, I am shocked at all the positive reviews I'm seeing. I feel like we didn't read the same book.

A Discovery of Witches was one of my favorite reads of 2011. I wasn't as much into reading then, and I stumbled across this one while randomly perusing my library for books. I fell in love with the story, the characters, and the magic of it all. I felt like the story was building up for something important, something powerful.
Kristina
I guess the good news about Deborah Harkness’s The Book of Life is I didn’t throw it across the room in disgust. I couldn't—it's too damn dumb to make me angry. Mostly I shook my head in bewilderment at the overwhelming idiocy. This last book in the trilogy is pretty much the same as the first two: excessive details, wandering plot lines, horrible pacing, paper-thin characters, and fang-less boring vampires. When I finished reading all 561 pages, I thought: what the fuck. How can something this awfu ...more
Lyndi W.
I'm disappointed that so many people are refusing to read this book because it's taken so long to come out. Shit happens that pushes publication dates back. Lots of shit happens. And some of you guys are acting like it's a personal affront and the author is just trying to piss you off. You're acting like children. No wonder authors hate reviewers. The book hasn't even come out yet and you're already talking trash.
Dianna
Jul 17, 2014 rated it it was ok
Melanie
Dec 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I am looking forward to this novel with much anticipation and joy.

To all the naysayers and fair weather fans out there, I have a few things to say to you.
1) D.H. is a novelist. While she may blog and update frequently, she must not be treated as an on demand writer. As a reader, it is hard to wait but novelists should be regarded for what they do so well. Let's not treat our dear author as a blogger or fan fictionist.

2) Waiting is part of being a reader. JK Rowling also made reader
Lucia
"If you truly love someone, you will cherish what they despise most about themselves."

My Diana and Matthew:

Similarly as its predecessors, The Book of Life is another thoughtful and thrilling page-turner. In this final instalment, author will take you on a thought-provoking journey woven into a beautiful paranormal tale that will awaken your imagination and appease even the most demanding readers.

Similarly
Jessica ☕ Rodrigues
Sep 15, 2013 rated it did not like it
What just happened?

I was so disappointed. I adored A Discovery of Witches and Shadow of Night, but I feel like this book did not tie up any loose ends, answer any questions, or really provide any satisfaction for the build-up of the previous two novels.

A few of my main concerns:

Ashmole 782? (view spoiler) ...more
Emily
Jul 18, 2014 rated it it was ok
I'm truly shocked that this book recieved such great reviews. Ms. Harkness still spins a great tale, but I thought the whole of this novel was poorly constructed and lacking substance. The conclusions were tenuous stretches at best and she had a lot of trouble tying everything up at the end given the complexities she'd introduced. As a result of her difficulties (and profitability), it's quite clear from this book that there will be additional novels to join what was to be a 3-book series. This ...more
Bradley
Dec 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Re-read 12/18/17

Much of all the esoteric stuff I loved from the first read was just as enjoyable the second time around, but this time I focused more on the people and the relationships a bit more.

Ben, for example, was something of a mystery and less a bogeyman. I may have gotten a bit annoyed with the babies this time, all the focus on them, but to each their own when it comes to that. And then there was a few slow parts that annoyed me but not by much. There was enough
Sean Barrs the Bookdragon
This series went from mediocre to bad to terrible over a course of three books.

The main problem is the author clearly didn’t think anything through. She can write well; her prose is quite flashy in places and some of her characters are quite intriguing. The first book was a great idea and it really set the tone and got the plot moving, the problem was from there the author clearly had no idea what to do.

In Shadow of Night Diana found herself transported back in time to the Elizabethan era.
Nathan
Jul 16, 2014 rated it it was ok
This book was flat out boring and a disappointing end to the series. I realized that the series lost it's charm when I was mid way through the book and basically nothing had happened to further the overall story from the previous two books.

The book is written in a mix of first person from Diana's POV and will randomly jump to third person, gets annoying rather quickly.

The menagerie of forgettable characters gets in the way of the overall story. This book felt like Twilight for adults, smotheri
Sue (Hollywood News Source)
description

You can win The Book of Life's paperback, All Souls trilogy swags and Diana's commonplace book in Young Adult Hollywood.

In this final conclusion of All Souls trilogy, Diana and Matthew returns to the present time. In Sept-Tours, they reunite with their family, and together, they’ll face the threat of danger, and search for the missing last pages of Ashmole 782.

It’s always a sob-fest to see one of your favorite series come to an end. I’ve read A Discovery of Witches and Shadow of Night countless of times. I can quot
Phrynne
Jan 23, 2014 rated it liked it
I had a moment's panic when I started this book because there were so many characters everywhere and I didn't remember any of them! But I persevered and many of them disappeared never to be seen again. The rest fell into place and their identities became apparent. Matthew and Diana however seem to have had character transplants. Overnight they have changed from young lovers to old fuddy duddies and I barely knew them any more. They also spent the entire book overreacting to every event and rushi ...more
Trish
Jan 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

This marks the conclusion of the All Souls trilogy and I couldn't be happier. From the first book on, this had become my new favourite story about witches and other supernatural creatures.

In this third volume, Diana and Matthew are home from their timewalk in the past. They had to leave loved ones behind, which is never easy, and had to discover that disaster had struck in their original timeline as well.
Not to mention that Diana is pregnant (with twins no less!) and the enemies are closing in from all sides,
Jenny
Jul 28, 2014 rated it it was ok
I mean, let's face it, this is "Twilight" written by a college professor. The love scenes are embarrassing and clunky, but the archive scenes are hot. All those old books with their archival boxes slowly being removed and their parchment being stroked. The two main characters are tedious and unlikable, but since there are thousands of pages at our disposal, some of them have been filled with other characters you can like. At the end of the day, the plot didn't make a lot of damn sense, but who c ...more
Winnie
Oct 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: waiting-for, 2014
WOW... The wait was worth it!!!!
This was a captivating book...
I think... The end is only the beginning because...
************************************************
I need this book Like today!!!!...
omg omg faints!
• Lindsey Dahling •
Hell if I know why I enjoyed this.

Nothing really happens.
Nothing is really resolved.

And yet I couldn’t put the damn thing down.
Joeanne
Jul 16, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A Discovery of Witches, Book I in the All Soul's Trilogy was fresh and creative, a great story. It had some flaws but all in all it was a well built world, an addition to the fictional realm of witch folklore for adults.

Book II Shadow of Night was historical fiction, a name dropping time travel trip filled to the brim with characters from the Crusader states, the Kingdom of Jerusalem, the House of Austria, along with a British monarch and her noblemen. It reeked of elitism, classism,
Darth J
Jun 13, 2013 rated it really liked it

"It begins with A Discovery of Witches..."

Between the absinthe-green covers of this tome lies the final chapter of the All Souls Trilogy, where we find Diana and Matthew still on their search for the elusive Book of Life.

Bound in the blood, skin, and hair of daemons, witches, and vampires, the Book of Life is an allegorical alchemical text detailing the history of the three races (
Melanie
May 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The third book of the trilogy, with a lot of threads to weave together, creatures to sort out, and battles to fight. Deborah Harkness does it all, and then some, with gasp-worthy moments on and off the battlefields that her vampires, witches, and daemons have to populate, and moments of sheer beauty. I am, simultaneously, well-satisfied, and sorry that the trilogy isn't (at least) a quartet.

Wonderful, wondrous, magical, and excellent.

I received an ARC from NetGalley. This is an hone
Allie
Dec 18, 2013 rated it liked it
description

Bet you never thought you'd see Jay-Z in a review for "The Book of Life"! Anyway...

3.5 Stars. I liked it (overall...I am pretty sure), but I am going to apologize in advance because this review will most likely end up being a disorganized collection of my thoughts on this book and series, but after finishing it, I don't think I can write it any other way.

First off, I would definitely recommend reading a wiki page about Book 2 in the trilogy before starting the third book. Let me explain - I started the first few pagway.

FirstAnyway...

3.5

Stacee
October 2017: Yep, this is still just as fantastic as the first time I read it. I loved the story and the ending and the everything. Now I’m ready for more books with Gallowglass, Miriam, and I could easily do with a million pages of Ysabeau. I’m going to have to reread these more often.

Original review
This was absolute perfection. I felt there was a lot of loose ends that needed to be taken care of, so I wasn't sure what to expect. It definitely didn't disappoint.

I don't want to say too much because sp
Emma
Mar 24, 2015 rated it did not like it
What the hell happened?

By the end of this book, the only thing you'll realise is that the whole story was completely pointless.

All that fannying about from one country to the next and one time to the next was really just a cover for the fact that:
a) it is Romeo and Juliet with a happier ending (unsuitable love match due to family conflict)
b) it is Twilight (poor vampire husband can't control himself round the mrs)
c) it is every 'i'm-a-nobody-but-all-of-a-sudden-i'm-the-chosen-one' story you'
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
For more reviews (and the giffy version of this review), Cover Snark and more, visit A Reader of Fictions.

Oh my kanye, I’m finally done; I’m finally free. Yes, I’m fully aware that I subjected myself to this torture. I even wrote a post about how terrible an impulse it is but I just had to finish this series. Maybe it’s because I already put so much time into it. Maybe it’s because I liked the first one and I was hoping that would turn out to be an opinion I could understand. Either way, here I
 Linda (Miss Greedybooks)
ALL SOULS TRILOGY ROCKS!

I enjoyed the further adventures of Matthew and Diana - and all the witches, vampires, daemons that are searching for the Book of Life. The trials they go through to figure out DNA of creatures and warmbloods kept me interested and going until the reveal.

I do hope the Bishop-Claimont scion story will continue as the babies grow and learn what and whom they are.

There is more to tell of past lives - so many other tales that need to be told!

Philippe and Ysabea
Jaya
GR asks me, Wht did I think? Well...
1st read 2 stars
2nd read 2.65 stars
Third time lucky? Notching up to 3.85 Stars
This time I was better prepared for the useless and disappointing parts. And BR-ing it, helped me better to vent out anger and frustrations.
P.S: I desperately pray for a book for Gallowglass. I sincerely hope she does write one else, I'l probably act like a crazy fan and send her emails to give us a story for that poor, awfully amazing charater.
Stephanie
A disappointment, I'm very sorry to say

2-1/2 stars, generously rounded to 3 in consideration of the previous 2 books

I was so looking forward to the publication of this, the final book in the All Souls trilogy. I reread books 1 & 2 this spring as I impatiently waited for Delivery Day. So I cannot tell you how disappointed I was when I finally got the chance to read The Book of Life.

Perhaps the kindest way of explaining my response is that I COULD put this book do
Jennifer Davis
Aug 04, 2013 marked it as to-read
Please update the Deborah Harkness website with some new info about the All Souls Trilogy! Ready to read Book 3!
anieva
Jul 22, 2014 rated it it was ok
While this book was engrossing despite itself, it was a frustrating book, at least for me. I am not sure why I feel the need to discuss this book, since there are so many frustrating books out there, but here goes...

It read as if less attention had been given it by the author than the first two in her trilogy. So frustrating when that kind of thing happens. It was like, in some ways, an outline of what it could have been, despite its 560 or so pages. There were so many times when I had to try t
Ashley
Dec 26, 2012 added it
This needs to come out NOW

• The Witch's Daughter (The Witch's Daughter, #1)
  • Of Blood and Bone (Chronicles of The One, #2)
  • Ninth House (Alex Stern, #1)
  • Kingdom of Ash (Throne of Glass, #7)
  • Storm Cursed (Mercy Thompson, #11)
  • The Wicked King (The Folk of the Air, #2)
  • The Winter of the Witch (Winternight Trilogy, #3)
  • The Winter Witch
  • Circe
  • The Vine Witch (Vine Witch, #1)
  • Finale (Caraval, #3)
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • A Secret History of Witches
  • Sorcery of Thorns
  • Harley Merlin and the Secret Coven (Harley Merlin #1)
  • The Bride Test (The Kiss Quotient, #2)
  • Harley Merlin and the Mystery Twins (Harley Merlin #2)
  • The Kingdom of Copper (The Daevabad Trilogy, #2)
My life has been a series of left turns that nevertheless took me in the right direction (though it didn't always seem so at the time). I went to college to be a theater major and ended up studying the Renaissance. I went to grad school to become a college administrator and loved to teach so much I became a college professor instead. I thought I wanted to be a Tudor-Stuart historian, and found mys ...more

All Souls Trilogy (3 books)
  • A Discovery of Witches (All Souls Trilogy, #1)
  • Shadow of Night (All Souls Trilogy, #2)
“I see you, even when you hide from the rest of the world. I hear you, even when you're silent.” 71 likes
“If you truly love someone, you will cherish what they despise most about themselves.” 34 likes