Timothy Michael Lewis
Timothy Michael Lewis asked David Gaughran:

When do you think we will finally get rid of rip-off "Author Services" like Author Solutions?

David Gaughran I really don't know. The outcome of the class action suit could have a big effect on Author Solutions' future, but I'd hate to let that be the ultimate arbiter as federal class actions are judged on very technical grounds and fail all the time for reasons nothing to do with the issues at stake. In general though, I think Penguin Random House, the owner of Author Solutions, and the other publishers who partner with them have been largely getting a pass from the writing/publishing community. It's amazing when you contrast the level of criticism Amazon gets for things it *might* do in the future with the complete lack of criticism Penguin Random House gets for the large-scale exploitation of writers at Author Solutions. That has to stop. I've no problem with Amazon being subjected to scrutiny - it should be - but Penguin Random House is getting away with it, aided and abetted by the press who either won't write articles about what's going on (but are happy to slam Amazon on the flimsiest pretext), or just write Author Solutions puff pieces because Author Solutions is an advertiser. It's shameful and drives me crazy.