Kuroi
Kuroi asked Sebastien de Castell:

What inspired the idea of the Greatcoats - as in, the coats themselves? And do they really have bone plates?

Sebastien de Castell Years ago my brother bought me an actual wool greatcoat. It seemed like an odd gift at the time but I found myself on a lot of night shoots as an actor where I'd be in all kinds of weather and found I'd always bring the greatcoat with me. It kept me warm and dry no matter what the circumstances, had big pockets hidden inside where I could keep everything I needed, and just generally made me feel 'ready for anything.' So when I was creating the King's Magistrates I wanted them to have their own equivalent of a knight's armour, but where a knight's protection is all about war, the magistrate's needed to be about travel. So I gave them long leather coats with very thin plates from the bones of a type of large bird in the north of Tristia that are both lightweight but very durable. The coats have dozens of pockets so that the magistrate could carry all the things they'd need to stay alive in a variety of life-threatening situations.