Eden
Eden asked:

Best translations : The resurruction

To answer questions about Resurrection, please sign up.
Brittany The Maude translation is the best for any Tolstoy work; not only are they both (Louise and Aylmer Maude were husband and wife) brilliant with the languages, they knew Tolstoy personally and he himself was a proponent of their translations. The Mauds seem to capture the essence or spirit of Tolstoy's writing better than any other translator.
Valus Markel Vera Traill, hands down
Josh I am reading the Anthony Briggs translation (Penguin Classics) and can attest to it's quality
Mike I am reading Maude now. It is decidedly British; especially for the commoner vernacular and slang. I feel like I am reading Dickens not Tolstoy. I know “faggot” means cigarette in this context, but I still would prefer a more modern and American transition. I guess I am not to “ducky” on Maude’s version.
Steven Eldredge Anthony Briggs for Penguin Classics.
Eden which is the best translation
Image for Resurrection