Amber Hao
Amber Hao asked Susan Vreeland:

Did you attempt to create a mood in "Girl in Hyacinth Blue"? What feeling did you want this book to evoke? I read it when I was 14 and the whole time I had this far away feeling of nostalgia :)

Susan Vreeland I did not consciously try to create the feeling of nostalgia, although that is an element in the chapters "Adagia" and "Magdalena Looking." Each chapter functions as a separate story, and so there is not a single mood that I intended to convey in the novel as a whole. "Hyacinth Blues" has the mood of flippancy and humor, for example, which is not evident in the other stories. I believe the feeling of nostalgia was in you, ready to come out when you imagined your way through these diverse stories.