Morris Turner
Morris Turner asked Martin Roy Hill:

Martin Roy Hill Morris, I apologize for the delay in answering this.

I suspect that American History article on the Pea Island rescuers was the one I wrote for them many years ago?

The Coast Guard has a long history of providing opportunities to African Americans. The first US naval vessel commanded by an African American was the Revenue Cutter Bear (the Revenue Cutter Service joined with the US Lifesaving Service to form the Coast Guard in 1915). In the late 1800s, the Bear was commanded by CAPT Michael "Hell Roaring Mike" Healey, a mixed race African American who was a famed Arctic ship captain.

During WWII, when the services were still segregated, the Coast Guard had the first warship manned entirely by African Americans. (Yep, the Coast Guard fought in WWII and every American war from the Quasi-French War to OIF.)

If you are interested in the Coast Guard, you might be interested to know that Amazon has among its Kindle Shorts my short mystery story "Marque and Reprisal," which features a Coast Guard investigator. I am also in the plotting stages of a novel that will feature a special Coast Guard investigation team.

Obviously, I am a very proud veteran of the U.S. Coast Guard.