A Goodreads user asked Laurie Halse Anderson:

Hi Laurie! I cannot wait to read your book Speak but have read your novel Chains. What inspired you to write a novel about slaves from the Revolutionary War? How much research did you have to do in order to make the book more accurate, if any?

Laurie Halse Anderson I am so frustrated by the lack of information and conversation about the role of slavery in American history!!!! It's the root of all the racist BS that oppresses so many Americans today.

Slavery is America's Holocaust and we (esp my fellow white people!) need to own it, understand it, and recognize the implications it still has today.... if we are ever going to make America a country of justice and opportunity.

I've done done years of research and worked closely with a number of historians to try and get the history accurate. It's been an amazing project to work on.