A Goodreads user asked James Patterson:

Every one of your books make your fans/readers want to turn the pages, to know what happens next. As a reader of your books, I love how you make the perspective of a character seem very likeable, and very interesting. How do you make your stories become so intriguing and addicting?

James Patterson Thanks, I like to think my books are pretty exciting. I look at every scene as if it were happening in a movie. Then I write an outline, scene by scene, omitting any parts that readers would skip over. Short chapters are great for that. I make sure I’m constantly putting in twists, never letting the reader get too comfortable or have too good of an idea what’s going to happen next.
James Patterson