Linda Lewis
Linda Lewis asked:

I confess that I didn't "get" the clue Elizabeth left in her letter to the judge. Can anyone help me out?

To answer questions about Best Kept Secret, please sign up.
Leslie The answer is in the sentence. Its an anagram.

"Common pests I confused when in my right mind".

Anagram of "common pests I" = compos mentis = in one's right mind

In the Archer story, the dying Lady Barrington (a skilled crossword solver) left this clue uncompleted as a coded signal that she was mentally capable when she changed her will shortly before her death.
Nejha Mason The answer to the missing clue was "in my right mind" that's why the judge had to get the next days paper to check the answer. She did the whole crossword puzzle and left out only that clue.
Louise Sider I got that she was coherent enough to do the crossword puzzle in case they contested the will, albeit I too missed the meaning of unanswered clue??
Mukul Malhotra Well, the reason the crossword puzzle was included was to signify that she was very much aware and in her senses, when she signed her second will just before she was dead.

This was an answer to the questions being raised in the House of Lords pointing her inability to sign an important draft at such a precarious situation.
sujay gokhale The crossword clue was...Common pests I confused. I and confused should have had a dash in between. The letters in commonpestsI can be rearranged (unconfused) as compos mentis which in Latin means in their right mind.
Image for Best Kept Secret