Start by marking “Best Kept Secret (The Clifton Chronicles, #3)” as Want to Read:
Best Kept Secret (The Clifton Chronicles, #3)

Best Kept Secret

(The Clifton Chronicles #3)

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  38,411 ratings  ·  2,438 reviews
The third novel in Jeffrey Archer’s compelling saga, the Clifton Chronicles

1945. The vote in the House of Lords as to who should inherit the Barrington family fortune has ended in a tie. The Lord Chancellor’s deciding vote will cast a long shadow on the lives of Harry Clifton and Giles Barrington.

Harry returns to America to promote his latest novel, while his beloved Emma
Published April 28th 2013 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about Best Kept Secret, please sign up.
Leslie
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Phyllis Fredericksen Yes. They follow an English family before/ after WWII.

·  38,411 ratings  ·  2,438 reviews

Start your review of Best Kept Secret (The Clifton Chronicles, #3)
Ujjawal Sureka
Jun 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Series: Clifton Chronicles #3
Genre: Historical fiction, Mystery
Publication Date: March 2013

- This is the third book in the Clifton Chronicles series. The story line, like the other books books of this series, is engaging and fascinating at the same time.
- This one is filled with political back and forth making it a very interesting read.
- The book kept me guessing for which secret was the title referring to, it was fun to explore what it was. The story really picked up at some point in the middl
Anuvab Banerjee
Mar 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Its a little slower compared to its prequel. However Archer, if anything, understands the business of selling books better than anyone else. This third book is more of an extension of the previous installment, and if anything it may be called the second part of "Sins of the Father", and not exactly a separate book. The story moves on to the next generation of the Clifton-Barrington family and introduces quite a few characters. Written in Archer's patent British style, the master story-teller lea ...more
Nicole
Aug 14, 2013 rated it did not like it
Best Kept Secret was another disappointment. The struggles and achievements of the characters are not developed and far too predictable. Harry needed to be on the New York Times Bestseller List. A few pages later the goal is accomplished. Emma wants to locate her late father’s child. Walla, it’s done. Now she wants to adopt her. Check. Sebastian is having problems socially in school. An incident occurs and abracadabra he is the hero. These examples are endless. Characters unknown to me but proba ...more
Jim
When The Sins of the Father ended Hugo Barrington had been killed and the House of Lords had tied on who should inherit his title, and all that therein is. Giles Barrington? Or Harry Clifton? One was unquestionably the legitimate son. The other possibly the first born son.

The third book in the Clifton Chronicle series, which spans from 1945 - 1958, opens with the Lord Chancellor casting the deciding vote. His decision will have a far reaching impact. One will inherit everything. His decision wil
☮Karen
Since this is third in a series, anything I say about the characters would be a spoiler. All of these books end in a cliffhanger, and this one is no different. If I so much as indicate who is married or divorced or living or dead, it could ruin things for those yet to read this series. So again, I'll only say how much I'm enjoying the series. I very recently read the author's bio on Wikipedia and never knew what a crazy life Jeffrey Archer himself has lead. Plenty of fodder for his book writing ...more
Tony Nielsen
Feb 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
You can shoot me down if you like but I can't help liking Jeffrey Archer. In spite of being a bit of a cad he sure writes a good yarn, and this is no exception. Luckily I was given an advance copy to read and as usual I breezed through it quickly. This is the third episode in the Clifton Chronicles, mostly we follow on with the story of Harry and Emma Clifton, their son Sebastian and their adopted daughter Jessica. Emma develops an academic career and ultimnately joins the Barrington business wh ...more
Char
I've loved this series so far, though I cannot seem to pinpoint why. This book wasn't quite as good as the first two, and it ended on a much bigger cliffhanger.

At this point, it's starting to seem a little silly because nothing ever goes wrong for the Clifton family. Well, maybe I should say: nothing ever STAYS wrong with the Clifton's-they always somehow seem to come out ahead.

I'm going to try the next one just in case it holds a big surprise, (like all the Clifton's die or something), and the
Razvan
Jul 22, 2013 rated it it was ok
Let me preface this by saying that I almost never write reviews, and if I do, is because I have experienced a rather extreme emotion: either highly impressed or mostly appalled. Sadly, in this book's case, is the latter.

I am[ considering if I might need to use the past tense after this book ] a fan of Jeffrey Archer, always found his books clever, entertaining and highly readable. Although one can get used to his style and characters, it usually still manages to deliver some surprising stunts th
BAM The Bibliomaniac
Oh my heart! Archer just tugged my strings! Such a storyteller. This series is perfect for audio because I feel like I'm being told a real tale. The format of the first two books ( switching between personalities with different narrators) is not apparent in this book. Some original characters move one, but they are replaced by great new ones. I think my favorite is Lady Virginia, a cunning, manipulative, money hungry minx.
Damn you, Archer!!! Why must you persist in the cliffhanger endings????
Rohit Enghakat
Nov 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
The third instalment of the Clifton Chronicles. As usual, the author churns out a thrilling series with new characters added. The third book is more about the life of Sebastian Clifton. It seems like somewhat like a replay of Harry Clifton's childhood. Enter Harry's old foe Alex Fisher who tries to Barringtons' company along with Giles' wife (a new character), almost jeopardising the political career of Giles. Enter Don Pedro (another new character), who plays with the life of Sebastian.

The boo
Pamela
Mar 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Third installment, three times the drama; a bit overly dramatic at times, verging on a melodramatic soap-opera feel. Not my thing. Perhaps that's because I'm neither 'Young nor Restless'. But overall, the Barrington/Clifton personal/political/business tensions/exploits were engaging and riveting. And book three once again proved Archer is still king of the CCC - Clifton Chronicles Cliffhangers. Oh my, no parent wants to get a call like that!!!

Four stars - enough to entice me into reading the fou
Tracy
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm really enjoying this series. It's a family saga I suppose you could call it but it's not too soap opera-ish that it bothers you. Instead, early on you fall in love with the main characters and then of course you follow their lives and get all tangled up in what happens, always hoping for the best and preparing for the worst. This particular book ends on a cliffhanger and I'm of course going to HAVE to start book 4 today....
Sunethra Mahidhar
Mar 15, 2013 rated it liked it
As tradition, I've been buying the copies of the Clifton Chronicles the day it released. Best Kept Secret, the third out of four of the chronicles was no different. It was even more special because it was a one of a kind autographed by the author himself copy.

The book has an unsual beginning. The demise of Lord Harvey seems mysterious. More like the author deliberately kills him so that Giles Barrington could win the vote.

Following this, Harry and Emma begin their search for adoption. Jessica C
Pooja Jeevagan
Mar 13, 2013 rated it liked it
I liked the beginning of the series...I really did...
I expected a lot from this one, I actually did...
I was surprised when it was confirmed it has moved from a series of three to a series of 5...and in between reading the book, how I hoped it would have been restricted to three...at least it wouldn't have deviated so much...it wouldn't have just kept on people to keep going...
And then, I was speechless, when I realized that the author is planning to increase the series to even 7 or 8...Phew!!

Thi
Kerri
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.5
Another excellent installment in The Clifton Chronicles. I'll skip details about the plot, but I am so invested in these characters. As well as Harry, Emma and Giles still holding center stage, Sebastian Clifton is now older and becoming a more major character. I'm anxious to start the fourth book, but it'll be at least a week or two before I can - so I'll be left wondering about things for a while!
Eddie Owens
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
Jeff churns these out at two or three books a year and they continue to sell in their millions.

Basically, he's the ultimate storyteller, who doesn't let character development or dialogue get in the way.

Always easy reading and you are never bored for too long, before he chucks in another twist.

Who am I to criticize, when he's sold two hundred million books.
Yesha- Books Teacup and Reviews
You can read all my review on Blog - Books Teacup and Reviews

4.5 Stars

Best Kept Secret was most dramatic in The Clifton Chronicles series so far. It revolved around Clifton and Barrington’s life after dispute on inheritance of Barrington estate. New phase, new obstacles, and new enemies in their life. There was bit of everything, family drama, rivalry, court room drama, revenge, family support and love, loss, suspense, entertainment, politics, money and art fraud.

What I Liked-

The writing was am
Luffy
Jun 20, 2013 rated it it was ok
Some random thoughts about Best Kept Secret.
1) The beginning was as easy as it was interesting to follow.
2) The stakes were nowhere as high this time as in the last book.
3) We see quite less both of Giles and Harry, even if the chapters are titled in their name.
4) As soon as Major Alex appeared the story began to get murky for me personally.
5) The underused mothers of Harry and Giles made me curious about the first Chronicles book.
6) ...until that is when the entire mess of Don Pedro's shenaniga
Anne
Dec 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I finally finished this and so I have finally come to understand the brilliance and perfection of this sequel to The Sins of The Father, Best Kept Secret!

Before I say anything, I must emphasize how much I love Harry! Like, I LOVE Harry! Way too much! Way, way too much! *Takes in a deep breath* now that I have gotten that off my chest, let us begin!!

There is violence, death, and tragedy! Not to mention twists and turns and so much intrigue. Each character is strongly written and in this install
Sathya Sekar
Apr 06, 2013 rated it did not like it
Mr Archer appears to be seeing too many movies of the 50s and 60s. The dries starred with "Only Time will tell"- and I think Time has told. Mr Archer, its about time you give your pen a rest. Your imagination appears to have dried up and you present one cliche after another for us to swallow. The characters have all become uni-dimensional. There is no spark here, as the one Massie and Old Jack and Emma brought to the first two books. The people have become boring and the plot seems taken right o ...more
Blaine DeSantis
Aug 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another fun, and fast installment in the Clifton Chronicles. This one is set in post-WWW2 England and there are some really great moments regarding an inheritance trial, a decedents will, a contested election between old foes and the smuggling of Nazi forged currency back into England. We are given a good introduction into young Master Sebastian Clifford, family nemesis Major Fisher and new evil guy Don Pedro Martinez.
This book is short on character development but long on action and the plot a
Matt
Oct 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
Jeffrey Archer forges ahead in the Clifton heptalogy, keeping volume three full of excitement and intrigue. After an eventful vote in the House of Lords on the Barrington family fortune, Harry and Emma are able to move forward with their lives, intertwined as one. They seek to expand their family in a not so traditional manner, perfectly suited for this Archer tale. Giles Barrington continues his life as a Member of Parliament and faces a tough Conservative candidate when the election is called. ...more
Melodie
Jan 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The third generation of the Clifton/Barringtons start moving to center stage in this installment of the Clifton Chronicles. Sebastian, son of Emma and Harry is a handful as a toddler and becomes more so as he grows. His half-sister Jessica is given a back seat to Sebastian's spotlight, though I sense(and hope) given the length of the series she will be given her place in the sun.
The saga has moved into the nineteen fifties. Women are taking their place in the workforce and starting to be heard
Dave
Feb 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jeffrey-archer
This entire series has been very good. I usually stop after 3 but I may go on and read 4 and 5
Vikas Singh
May 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Once again a great storyline. The series is based enjoyed if you have on your shelf the entire seven volumes so that you can go from one to the next. Finished this one in one sitting. The plot is so gripping that you do not want to put down the book for a second. The end leaves you thinking but by now the reader is aware of the storyline progress and can make out that it is not Sebastian who died in the crash.
Natasa
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I just love the way Archer weaves the story with so many strands. He continues to keep us interested by giving us just enough information to tell the main plot but leaves out enough info so we keep reading on to find out what happens. Archer takes on many exciting adventures and weaves them all into one fantastic story.
Amruta
May 02, 2013 rated it it was ok
So, here's another disappointing venture by Mr. Archer, a man who has previously written so many wonderful books!

This is the third book in the Clifton Chronicles series. While I loved the first one, namely 'Only Time Will Tell', the second one ('The Sins of the Father') dragged so much in the climax, it became almost impossible to complete. The third one is even worse!

It picks up from where the second book ended - with the mysterious death of Lord Harvey, and the much-too-convenient hung vote of
Kathryn
It took me quite a long time after reading the first in this series before reading the second and now I’m reading the third within 12 months after reading the second, so I’m improving in the rate I’m getting around to these books! This one certainly ends on a cliff-hanger, so I’m even more keen to read the fourth - Be Careful What You Wish For - as soon as possible!

I’m enjoying following the fortunes of Harry Clifton and his family. I like Jeffrey Archer’s style of writing, and this was classic
Rahul
Jun 22, 2013 rated it liked it
It's a decent book. A typical Archer book with those twists and turns. He does know how to hold a reader's interest. Needless to say, like the previous novels in the series, it also has a cliffhanger ending.

I'm sure those who haven't read much of Archer will love it. But for someone who has read a lot of his books, it gives you a Deja Vu feel. He is repeating himself. It has many elements that we have already seen in 'Not a Penny more...' and 'First among equals'.

All in all, if you have been fo
Toni Osborne
Jun 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Clifton Chronicle book# 3

The book picks up after the events in “The Sins of the Father” and is a real pot boiler that continues the Clifton gripping family and political sagas which spans the years 1945 to 1958 in this installment.

The momentum of the narrative swings between Giles Barrington, now Member of Parliament and the Cliftons: Harry and Emma. The first have of the story moves forward by the legal ruling as to who is the true heir of the Barrington’s and the second part see Sebastian,
Who's Son Died? 28 182 Dec 28, 2014 01:29PM
How's the book? Good or Average? 9 61 Jul 27, 2013 08:34PM
I missed the reason for... 1 38 Jul 18, 2013 05:20PM

• Mightier than the Sword: by Jeffrey Archer (The Clifton Chronicles Series, Book 5) | Summary & Analysis
  • ‫خطايا الأب - الجزء الثاني‬
  • Jeffrey Archer: Stranger than Fiction
  • Series Order: Jeffrey Archer: Clifton Chronicles in Order: Kane and Abel Series
  • एक होती बेगम | Ek Hoti Begum [ Marathi ]
  • D. Manuel I -  Duas irmãs para um rei
  • Mysteriet i Genbrugsen
  • A Noite em que o Verão Acabou
  • Satans sommer (Martin Juncker-krim, #2)
  • Vildskud (Rebekka Holm, #8)
  • Margarida Espantada
  • Guerreiros da Tempestade
  • ‫غيوم داكنة‬
  • I Guds rige
  • Proxy
  • Sandeh (Marathi)
  • The Sun Sister (The Seven Sisters, #6)
  • Nemesis (Nameless Detective, #37)
Jeffrey Howard Archer, Baron Archer of Weston-super-Mare (born 15 April 1940) is an English author and former politician.

He was a Member of Parliament and deputy chairman of the Conservative Party, and became a life peer in 1992. His political career, having suffered several controversies, ended after a conviction for perverting the course of justice and his subsequent imprisonment. He is married

The Clifton Chronicles (7 books)
  • Only Time Will Tell (The Clifton Chronicles, #1)
  • The Sins of the Father (The Clifton Chronicles, #2)
  • Be Careful What You Wish For (The Clifton Chronicles, #4)
  • Mightier Than the Sword (The Clifton Chronicles, #5)
  • Cometh the Hour (The Clifton Chronicles, #6)
  • This Was a Man (The Clifton Chronicles, #7)

News & Interviews

“There are defining moments in one's life when you learn about yourself, and you deposit that knowledge in the experience account, so you can draw on it at some later date.” 28 likes
“The sign of a great man is how you handle defeat. - Old Jack” 23 likes