15 Benefits of Being Friends with a Book Nerd

Posted by Hayley on December 12, 2015


Books are undoubtedly awesome, but so are the people who love them. We asked on Facebook and Twitter: What's a benefit of being friends with a book nerd? (Goodreads members are basically experts on the topic, after all.) Check out our favorite answers below!


1. "You know about SO MANY great books. All. The. Time." (@sqq100)

2. "Lots of wonderful late-night talks about books and how fun reading is." (Katie Morrissey)

3. "You can know that they REALLY want to be your friend. Most book nerds don't have time for casual friendships and, generally speaking, would rather be spending their free time with fictional people than real people. If a book nerd wants to spend time with you, that's the greatest compliment you can get." (Faye Lilley)

4. "Free grammar corrections." (@bart_carter)

5. "They don't talk when you're reading. They just pick up their book." (Michelle Vollers)

6. "Help to avoid bad books." (Damian McMillan)

7. "You read books that are outside of your comfort zone. You're no longer stuck in one genre." (@RitaHumola)

8. "Victorian comebacks and random quotations." (@livesingularity)

9. "Every time you visit their house, you have pretty bookshelves to look at!" (@profsslockhart)

10. "You'll have someone to book shop with who won't rush you!" (Diana Rivero)

11. "Unending supply of new words to use in regular conversations." (@iCoder1978)

12. "Always knowing what the movie adaptation left out." (@veragfischer)

13. "They're easy to shop for." (Denise Lacombe)

14. "Book swapping. I love it when this happens: 'I found this on my bookcase and thought you would like it.'" (Lucy Hutchinson)

15. "They understand you." (@AngelaRoquemore)


Are there really only fifteen benefits of being friends with a book nerd? Of course not! Tell us more in the comments.


Comments Showing 1-50 of 145 (145 new)


message 1: by Emily (new)

Emily Understands the terrible sin that is spoiling a book and thus is very careful not to burst out their reactions to the ending of the book you are currently reading.


message 2: by Robert (new)

Robert Patterson Emily wrote: "Understands the terrible sin that is spoiling a book and thus is very careful not to burst out their reactions to the ending of the book you are currently reading."

I know! I almost gave away the ending to a book last month, stopped myself in time:)


message 3: by Liza (new)

Liza Robert wrote: "Emily wrote: "Understands the terrible sin that is spoiling a book and thus is very careful not to burst out their reactions to the ending of the book you are currently reading."

I know! I almost ..."


I actually did this once because my friend was not as far as I thought she was in a book. I back tracked hard and played it off like I was trolling her. xD


message 4: by Colleen (new)

Colleen No book shaming with the amount of books in one's house! Being out in public with books is appropriate. Being excited together about the latest being published. Book clubs and author visits.


message 5: by Tina (new)

Tina Rich We will NEVER turn the corners of the pages down. Your book will be returned in pristine condition.


message 6: by Kitty (new)

Kitty Nicole We also understand that the only thing worse then interrupting someone while they are reading is interrupting them within the last few sentences of a book. Especially a good book.


message 7: by Nadin (new)

Nadin You will have someone to talk and discuss each single thing in the book you both read with each


message 8: by Robert (new)

Robert Patterson Liza wrote: "Robert wrote: "Emily wrote: "Understands the terrible sin that is spoiling a book and thus is very careful not to burst out their reactions to the ending of the book you are currently reading."

I ..."

Lol, Awesome


message 9: by Sarina (last edited Dec 13, 2015 02:06AM) (new)

Sarina If you are a reader yourself, you'll get the greatest pleasure---the chance to share your passion with someone who loves books as passionately as you do (sometimes even more fiercely than you do!) :3


message 10: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Faulkenburg The librarians know you by name.


message 11: by Stuti (new)

Stuti **** I LIVE FOR BOOKS***** they will never let you get bored. They'll allways have something to talk about or some story to tell.


message 12: by Mitch (new)

Mitch C. They have creative minds.


Amy "the book-bat" Catherine wrote: "The librarians know you by name."

I walk in the library door and they automatically go to the reserve shelf, I don't even have to ask. They even know my dad by sight now if I need to send him to pick something up.


message 14: by Kikki (new)

Kikki They will never return your book to you damaged in any way at all, and will ALWAYS return a book they borrowed to you, even if they move away they would wrap it and ship it back to you (I know this from personal experience)


message 15: by Derek (new)

Derek Having conversations about fictional characters that are important as real people, and trading awesome quotes that are appreciated.


message 16: by Storm (new)

Storm They understand what you're talking about when you say, "Oh my goodness, that good-looking guy looks just like 'insert fictional character'!" And agree. ;)


message 17: by Fatema (new)

Fatema I love how very relatable almost every answer is.


message 18: by Erma (new)

Erma Talamante Saying "Shh. Reading." and not being considered rude.


message 19: by Michelle (last edited Dec 14, 2015 10:18AM) (new)

Michelle I'm not sure I agree they (we....) are easy to shop for. My friends, family etc won't buy me a book as I will usually have read it. However, they have been well trained to buy national book tokens (UK) so in that regard, we're easy at least!


message 20: by D.G. (new)

D.G. Stormsiren99 wrote: "They understand what you're talking about when you say, "Oh my goodness, that good-looking guy looks just like 'insert fictional character'!" And agree. ;)"

Hahahahaha! So true!!!


Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ Henriet wrote: "Hi i've got a question, but it isn't about this blog or article, but I don't know where to ask so I'm asking it here: Is it free to join a give away here on goodreads? I really don't have anything ..."

Yes it is.

I love Number 5!


message 22: by H (last edited Dec 14, 2015 10:38AM) (new)

H Books Hi i've got a question, but it isn't about this blog or article, but I don't know where to ask so I'm asking it here: Is it free to join a give away here on goodreads? I really don't have to pay anything like shipping or something like that?


message 23: by Erma (new)

Erma Talamante Bookstyle wrote: "Hi i've got a question, but it isn't about this blog or article, but I don't know where to ask so I'm asking it here: Is it free to join a give away here on goodreads? I really don't have to pay an..."

It costs nothing but your time to enter for books. If you win, the organizer of that particular giveaway will send you the book at their own cost.

You only are asked to post a review of the book you are sent, but even that isn't mandatory. :)


message 24: by H (new)

H Books Erma wrote: "Bookstyle wrote: "Hi i've got a question, but it isn't about this blog or article, but I don't know where to ask so I'm asking it here: Is it free to join a give away here on goodreads? I really do..."i
Nice! thanks! I would love to review for my blog c:


message 25: by Sikata (new)

Sikata they make you believe that the life is much than what you think it to be. they help you understand the importance of solitude.


message 26: by Hayley (new)

Hayley Having a conversation that nobody else would understand, since you speak in Harry Potter terms!


message 27: by Rossana (new)

Rossana Peña Rivera 3. "You can know that they REALLY want to be your friend. Most book nerds don't have time for casual friendships and, generally speaking, would rather be spending their free time with fictional people than real people. If a book nerd wants to spend time with you, that's the greatest compliment you can get." (Faye Lilley)


message 28: by Laura (new)

Laura  Elena they're with you while you grief because a character died.


message 29: by Amber (new)

Amber Hetchler Emily wrote: "Understands the terrible sin that is spoiling a book and thus is very careful not to burst out their reactions to the ending of the book you are currently reading."

My best friend does this to me ALL THE TIME. She should understand since she's a book nerd too but...


message 30: by Katy (new)

Katy Amy "the book-bat" wrote: "Catherine wrote: "The librarians know you by name."

I walk in the library door and they automatically go to the reserve shelf, I don't even have to ask. They even know my dad by sight now if I nee..."


Whenever I check out my books, my librarians always know exactly whose card to check it out on, and always comment on what I'm reading. They know me so well, they even give me suggestions on what to read next!


message 31: by Vee (new)

Vee Unfortunately for me I don't have book friends but fortunately I can make acquaintances online.

During a Skype conversation: "Why do you have so many books?"

Comment from a friend: "You have too many freaking books."


message 32: by Amber (new)

Amber Hetchler Vee wrote: "Unfortunately for me I don't have book friends but fortunately I can make acquaintances online.

During a Skype conversation: "Why do you have so many books?"

Comment from a friend: "You have too..."


I'm glad I have at least one book friend. They're good to have around when you're grieving over your favourite character being dead. And you never run out of book recommendations.


message 33: by Vee (new)

Vee Amber wrote: And you never run out of book recommendations. "..."

One would be great.
I find good book recommendations from GoodReads reviews, blogs, Kirkus Reviews and a variety of sources online like the NYTimes "By the Book" series.


message 34: by Kay (new)

Kay J I'm a book nerd. These are awesome
#5 this is so me and my friend.
#9 i have friends who constantly buy new shelves all the time.
#10 this is very important.
#12 hahahahaha so true.


message 35: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Hicks I'm a book nerd, oh hell, a nerd period! To think I used to be ashamed of that fact, but not anymore! I love being a nerd (Book) or otherwise! We nerds are great intellectuals and we pride ourselves on our gift of intelligence and we enjoy sharing our wealth of knowledge with others! Gotta love the Book Nerd -- (Nerds in General!) :-)


message 36: by Tashy (new)

Tashy Jones I don't really have any book friends, but I imagine not getting a response of "do you really need more books?" every time you go on a shopping spree would be lush


message 37: by Selena (new)

Selena How about being there to comfort you when your favorite character dies because they totally get it?


message 38: by Shari (new)

Shari Your book collection doubles because book friends alway share.


message 39: by Claire (new)

Claire I AGREE WITH ALL OF YOU!!!!!


message 40: by Beth (new)

Beth Roberts Emily wrote: "Understands the terrible sin that is spoiling a book and thus is very careful not to burst out their reactions to the ending of the book you are currently reading."

I SO get it! I actually didn't buy a book on Amazon because I habitually read the 1-star reviews and this d@*!n woman said who did it! Because the book had curse words in it! And she didn't like the sex! So she spoiled it for everyone who is just trying to get an overview of the raves and cons. Can you IMAGINE???!! What nerve!
I was ready to spend $12.99 I didn't really have so I could read it with a Goodreads group! I was SOOO. . .well you know. I'm still going to read it, but I've got it on reserve at the library.


message 41: by Beth (new)

Beth Roberts Shari wrote: "Your book collection doubles because book friends alway share."

Yes, but honey. . .
You're supposed to give them back, lol. . .


message 42: by The Book Hermit (new)

The Book Hermit I like #10. I am guilty of #9.


message 43: by The Book Hermit (new)

The Book Hermit Beth wrote: "Shari wrote: "Your book collection doubles because book friends alway share."

Yes, but honey. . .
You're supposed to give them back, lol. . ."

AND, please in good condition.


message 44: by Michael (new)

Michael They understand why you fall in love with fictional characters.


Amy "the book-bat" Kevin wrote: "Beth wrote: "Shari wrote: "Your book collection doubles because book friends alway share."

Yes, but honey. . .
You're supposed to give them back, lol. . ."
AND, please in good condition."


I no longer loan books because they never seem to find their way back to me. The non-book nerds have ruined it for everyone. :-(


message 46: by Petra (new)

Petra Telepathy about books~
One time in class a boy wanted to get me and my best friend to fight about something he knows we love reading. At the time we were both reading 'The Selection' By Kiera Cass and he asked what kind of book he should read thinking we would have different suggestions. We looked at each other and cracked up laughing!


message 47: by Shari (new)

Shari Beth wrote: "Emily wrote: "Understands the terrible sin that is spoiling a book and thus is very careful not to burst out their reactions to the ending of the book you are currently reading."

I SO get it! I ac..."


I am??


message 48: by Beverly (new)

Beverly Bookstyle wrote: "Hi i've got a question, but it isn't about this blog or article, but I don't know where to ask so I'm asking it here: Is it free to join a give away here on goodreads? I really don't have to pay an..."
If you're picked for a free book it's mailed to your address. No charge.


message 49: by Kay (new)

Kay J Beth wrote: "Emily wrote: "Understands the terrible sin that is spoiling a book and thus is very careful not to burst out their reactions to the ending of the book you are currently reading."

I SO get it! I ac..."

Oh my! Im now intrigued on what book it is


message 50: by Lily (new)

Lily They are willing to share stories as a family or a group, perhaps reading an excerpt or a poem.


« previous 1 3
back to top