An Easy Way to Promote Your Book: Goodreads GiveawaysPosted by Mimi on November 1, 2019
Whether you want to break out your debut book, keep the momentum going with your latest release, or rekindle interest in an older title, Goodreads Giveaways is here to help. Authors and publishers use Goodreads Giveaways as a creative way to promote their books to potentially millions of readers, add an element of excitement to their marketing, and help readers introduce their books to friends.
We designed Goodreads Giveaways to deliver several marketing benefits to authors:
Drive entries to help build your audience and discovery of your book:
- Giveaways are shown in the popular Giveaways section of Goodreads, where readers can discover new books.
- Your giveaway is prominently displayed on your book page on Goodreads to help your title gain more entries and keep building the audience for your book.
- Your followers on Goodreads and anyone who has already added the book to their Want-to-Read list automatically get notified about your giveaway.
Help drive reader-to-reader discovery:
- Learning about a book through a friend is one of the most powerful forms of discovery. Every time a Goodreads member enters your giveaway and your book is added to their Want-to-Read list, an update is shared in the newsfeed of that person’s friends and followers, introducing your book to even more people.
- About eight weeks after your Giveaway ends, winners receive an email from Goodreads to remind them to rate and review your book. This will help other readers discover and decide to read your book too.
Help capture an audience for your book:
- Everyone who enters your giveaway automatically has the book added to their Want-to-Read list on Goodreads. This builds an audience of people interested in your book on Goodreads and provides opportunities to engage with them in the future, e.g. when the book goes on sale, if you share Kindle notes and highlights about your book, etc.
Choice of format - print or Kindle ebooks:
- You can offer up to 100 copies (either print book or Kindle ebook) in a Goodreads giveaway.
- Print books are often preferred by winners who like to post a photo of the book in social media. You are also able to include a personal note and signature in your print book for additional excitement around your giveaway. Authors and publishers are responsible for the cost of the books and mailing them to winners.
- With our Kindle Ebook Giveaways option, you no longer have to spend time and money mailing books to winners as Goodreads handles the distribution for you. Another benefit is that winners immediately receive the book upon winning the giveaway, allowing them to start reading (and talking about) the book much sooner. This option requires a Kindle Direct Publishing account.
- PRO TIP: The cost of the Kindle ebooks are included in the giveaways listing price so you may want to choose 100 copies to get the book into the hands of as many readers as possible.
All of the above benefits are included in the Standard package which costs $119 (either Kindle ebook or print book). The Goodreads Giveaways program is open to your choice of U.S. and/or Canada residents.
EXTRA BENEFITS IN OUR PREMIUM PACKAGE
The Premium package gives you even more chances to personally connect with readers. For $599, in addition to all the benefits of the Standard package, you receive:
- Exclusive “Featured” placement on the highly-trafficked Giveaways homepage with millions of visitors each month, helping to give your giveaway significantly more visibility and potentially more entrants.
- A message written by you to readers who entered but didn’t win, giving you the opportunity to connect directly with readers interested in your book and potentially convert their interest into purchase.
- PRO TIP: Consider a limited time offer for your book immediately after your giveaway ends as a thank you to those who entered and a reason to buy now.
Get started with your Goodreads Giveaway. Click here to learn more.
BONUS TIPS TO GET MORE OUT OF THE GOODREADS GIVEAWAY PROGRAM
To help you get the most out of your giveaway, here are five tips:
1. Maximize the exposure for your book by running the giveaway for 30 days.
Since the goal of your giveaway is to gain as much awareness as possible, take advantage of all the time your book can be shown to potential readers.
2. Get the word out about your giveaway.
Don’t forget to promote the giveaway yourself! It gives you a fun reason to talk about your book again. Share the link to your giveaway on your website, via your newsletter, and your social media accounts. Link to your giveaway at the end of any excerpts you create online. Just before the giveaway ends, promote the giveaway again so people don’t miss their chance to win.
3. Run multiple giveaways in advance of publication.
If you have budget, a series of giveaways can fuel continuous buzz for your book, building readers’ anticipation. Many authors and publishers start running giveaways over six months in advance of publication. With each giveaway, you may grow the number of readers invested in your book launch. It also helps to keep your book top of mind among readers as Goodreads emails those who entered previous giveaways, letting them know about the next one.
4. Giveaways aren't just for new books.
A giveaway for an older book can be run anytime to rekindle interest in an older title or be used to cross promote your next book. It can also re-engage the audience you have already built to start reading your book.
5. Craft your giveaway description based on reader feedback.
You have around 150 characters to hook people in. That’s the amount of copy shown for each giveaway on the page listing current giveaways. But you’re a writer and we think you’re up to the challenge! Think about the words that will prove irresistible to readers and drive them to click “view details” to learn more about your book. If this is your first giveaway, study the descriptions and reviews of similar books and see what piques customers’ interest.
PRO TIP: Look at how people who have read and reviewed your book already are describing your book and use that as your guide when writing your description and choosing the genre.
6. Complete your bio on Goodreads.
The first few lines of your bio get pulled onto the unique landing page for your giveaway, along with a “Follow Author” button to allow readers to stay up-to-date on your activity on Goodreads. We recommend making your bio personal and friendly, while drawing attention to any previous success. For inspiration, see Lauren Blakely, Mike Omer, and William P Young.
Do you have more tips for giveaways? Please share your tips in the comments!
Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)
date newest »
back to top