Harry Potter discussion

Characters > Dumbledore vs. Gandalf

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael (last edited Dec 15, 2007 09:11AM) (new)

Michael Who is the better wizard and why?

And what pissed off each other most when they were roomies in college?

message 2: by Rachel (new)

Rachel ooh...tough question. i think i would have to say gandalf. dumbledore is pretty freakin' awesome, but i don't know how he would do versus a balrog. that's really hard though, because they really both are so powerfully knowledgeable and skilled.

as far as the roommate question goes: dumbledore couldn't stand gandalf's smoking, and gandalf coudln't stand dumbledore's freakin' bird.

message 3: by Annie (new)

Annie (annieiscool13) Gandalf.

message 5: by Annalisa (new)

Annalisa (goodreadsannalisa) Gandalf

message 6: by Pandy, "It unscrews the other way." (new)

Pandy | 1575 comments Mod
That's a hard question for me. I think I'd go with Gandalf.

message 7: by Savannah (new)

Savannah Morrow (SCMorrow) | 319 comments well... I am reading LOTR series right now so... I think I am still gonna say Dumbledore.

message 8: by Allie (new)

Allie (pearlrose95) | 155 comments Dumbledore

message 9: by Amelia, free market Puritan (last edited Oct 01, 2009 05:34PM) (new)

Amelia, free market Puritan (aeimaginer12) GANDAAAAAAAAAALF! he came back from the DEAD! and he's awesome in combat i mean him and saruman were kung-fu fighting!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-LSmx...

message 10: by Brianne (new)

Brianne (iliketoreadbooks) | 242 comments i think dumbledore may have more versatility in his spells. and this is coming from a total lotr fan.

besides i think gandalfs powers come with rules

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Well, seeing as I am a HUGE Lord of the Rings fan, I have to say GANDALF!! He's awesome!

message 12: by Brianne (new)

Brianne (iliketoreadbooks) | 242 comments really? he is AWESOME! but, could he best dumbledore? what spell would he use?

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah in the movies Gandalf doesn't show a whole bunch of magic, I don't know about the books, I've nerver read them but till soon. So, that said I will say Dumbledore because he would seem to have more spells and magic to use.

message 14: by Brianne (new)

Brianne (iliketoreadbooks) | 242 comments well, gandalfs super powerful, but you don't see a lot of it. so... dumbledore!

message 15: by Brianne (new)

Brianne (iliketoreadbooks) | 242 comments it seems like it takes gandalf a lot more effort to cast any of his spells.

it's two different types of magic

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah, and if you want to think of this it is different times to Dumbledore is in modern times and Gandalf is in like medieval times. It might have nothing to do with it but I think it does.

message 17: by Brianne (new)

Brianne (iliketoreadbooks) | 242 comments yeah, dumbledore's really good at magic, but a lot of people in his world can do magic

gandalf on the other had is like one of the only people that can

Amelia, free market Puritan (aeimaginer12) and he FIGHTS!

message 19: by Brianne (new)

Brianne (iliketoreadbooks) | 242 comments yes gandalf would probably be immune to dumbledores magic, since he's been in wars and people have died for him

Amelia, free market Puritan (aeimaginer12) i like that wicked staff of his. and to me, ian mckellan was such a great casting pick to be gandalf! not knocking michael gambon (or that other guy, sorry i dont remember!) but ian's just great!

message 21: by Brianne (new)

Brianne (iliketoreadbooks) | 242 comments who thinks ian mckellan would have been really weird for dumbledore?

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah, 'cause I'll always see him as Gandalf!

message 23: by Brianne (new)

Brianne (iliketoreadbooks) | 242 comments yeah, and who liked harris better than the hippy?

message 24: by Henry (new)

Henry Muldoon-Black | 16 comments Gandalf, he's a god.

message 25: by Anthony (new)

Anthony Stargaryen | 120 comments Henry wrote: "Gandalf, he's a god."

Gandalf is a Maia, which is closer to an angel. The Valar would be the Middle-Earth version of gods.

message 26: by Jojobean (new)

Jojobean Omg why would this be a question? If i had to pick id say Gandalf