What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Drowning Anna
This topic is about Drowning Anna
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. YA: girl tries to commit suicide, while in hospital mum reads her diary, "Blue" in title? 90s/00s [s]

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Rachel Brand (pixieauthoress) I read this book when I was a young teen, so it was published before 2004. All I remember about it is that the main character attempts to kill herself (possibly a bloody suicide, in a bathroom?) and while she is in hospital her mum sits at her beside and reads her diary and finds out what was going on with the girls life. I think she was being bullied by some girls she knew, but it wasn't anything majorly serious which pushed her to kill herself. She just had normal teenage issues. I think the book flashes between her diary entries and her mum sitting at her bedside, thinking about what she's read. If I remember rightly, her dad didn't live with them but he appears somewhere in the story. I think that at the end the girl wakes up.

I reckon that the book was British, but it may well have been American. Pretty generic teen literature but it's stuck in my head for years. I think it maybe had the word "blue" in the title and had a wishy-washy cover (at least in Britain) which didn't reveal much about the story.

Thanks to anyone who comes up with any ideas!

message 2: by April Ann (new)

April Ann (bloomer) | 516 comments Could it be Drowning Anna by Sue Mayfield? Published in 2002.

"Beautiful, intelligent Anna Goldsmith has just attempted suicide. As she lies in a coma, her friend Melanie and Anna's parents try to figure out why she tried to take her own life."
Drowning Anna by Sue Mayfield

Rachel Brand (pixieauthoress) Yes, that's the book! I recognised the author but not the title so Amazoned Sue Mayfield and the UK title for the book was "Blue."

Thanks! :)

message 4: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1396 comments Great. Another success. Will change the topic title and folder. I think if it's not done by the original poster I'll just do it without fanfare from now on as I'm not sure these comments of mine are useful.

Rachel Brand (pixieauthoress) Thanks Lisa :)