What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED!: YA: girl tries to commit suicide, while in hospital mum reads her diary, "Blue" in title? 90s/00s [s]

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Brand | 54 comments I read this book when I was a young teen, so it was published before 2004. All I remember about it is that the main character attempts to kill herself (possibly a bloody suicide, in a bathroom?) and while she is in hospital her mum sits at her beside and reads her diary and finds out what was going on with the girls life. I think she was being bullied by some girls she knew, but it wasn't anything majorly serious which pushed her to kill herself. She just had normal teenage issues. I think the book flashes between her diary entries and her mum sitting at her bedside, thinking about what she's read. If I remember rightly, her dad didn't live with them but he appears somewhere in the story. I think that at the end the girl wakes up.

I reckon that the book was British, but it may well have been American. Pretty generic teen literature but it's stuck in my head for years. I think it maybe had the word "blue" in the title and had a wishy-washy cover (at least in Britain) which didn't reveal much about the story.

Thanks to anyone who comes up with any ideas!

message 2: by April Ann (new)

April Ann (bloomer) | 516 comments Could it be Drowning Anna by Sue Mayfield? Published in 2002.

"Beautiful, intelligent Anna Goldsmith has just attempted suicide. As she lies in a coma, her friend Melanie and Anna's parents try to figure out why she tried to take her own life."
Drowning Anna by Sue Mayfield

message 3: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Brand | 54 comments Yes, that's the book! I recognised the author but not the title so Amazoned Sue Mayfield and the UK title for the book was "Blue."

Thanks! :)

message 4: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1382 comments Great. Another success. Will change the topic title and folder. I think if it's not done by the original poster I'll just do it without fanfare from now on as I'm not sure these comments of mine are useful.

message 5: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Brand | 54 comments Thanks Lisa :)