The Next Best Book Club discussion

Cynthia's Seasonal Challenges > SPRING CHALLENGE TASK SUGGESTIONS

Comments Showing 1-50 of 289 (289 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by Cynthia (last edited Jan 26, 2009 06:42AM) (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) | 1826 comments It's time to start thinking about the the kind of tasks we might want to do for the Spring Challenge. I'll take suggestions till Feb 25, then I'll post the final challenge suggestions (minus the 25 point tasks which will be posted once the winner's of the winter challenge decide on them) on the 27th. If you made a suggestion for the winter challenge and it didn't get used feel free to throw it out there again. Anyone can make a suggestion (even if you haven't participated in the winter challenge) - make as many as you want.

Can't wait to see your ideas!!!

message 2: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) 1. Where Easter is the theme/story of Easter etc
2. Fertility, new life, babies, children theme.
3. About nature, the natural world etc
4. With the word 'egg' in the title
5. Borrow a book from a friend and give it back.
6. Read a book set in your town, or a place near you that you know.
7. Read a book and then try to emulate something that happened in the book in real life.
8. Read a book about flowers.
9. Read a book with the name of a flower in the title.
10. Read a book with a yellow front cover.
11. Read a book out loud and record your reading on a cassette or whatever.
12. Re-read a book you had to read in school.
13. Read 15,000 pages (not just for one book mind... unless there is a book which has that many pages in which I'd like to know of it.)
14. Have a book themed dinner party where everyone gets together, brings a book and then you each exchange a book randomly (book swinging party?) and then read it.
15. Read a book about food and then cook something related.

message 3: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Wow Fiona! those are great ideas.

How about:
1. Read a book with word in the title or a character named March, April, or May.
2. Read a book about restorations or renewals.
3. Read a "green" book. (IE: The cover can be green, or it can have "green" in the title, or a character named Green, be about gardening or conservation, etc...)

Ok... have to work now. I'll be back with more later!

message 4: by Jen B (last edited Feb 05, 2009 12:30PM) (new)

Jen B (jennybee618) Those are all good!

I admit to loving this challenge so much that I’ve been writing down suggestions for tasks since December. :) Here are mine:

Read a book in which one of the main characters has the same name (first, middle, or last) as you or someone you’re close to

Read a book with one of the seven deadly sins in the title (wrath, sloth, greed, pride, envy, lust, gluttony)

Read a book by an author from your city or state (or country if you live outside the US)

Read an epistolary novel (one told in letters/correspondence)

Read a book that you were made to read for school and didn't enjoy/appreciate at the time. (Read it without the Cliff's Notes this time)

Read a book with the name of a planet/moon in the title

Ask one of your Goodreads buddies to recommend a book that isn't on your TBR or Read shelves, and read that book.

message 5: by silvia (new)

silvia  | 282 comments read a book about a place then visit that place.

read a book whit a flower in the title
read a book whit a insect name in the title
read a book whit a bird name in the title

(very springy suggestions)

read a book recomended from another tnbbc menber
read the book you have for the longest time in the tbr pille

message 6: by Laura (last edited Jan 26, 2009 07:27AM) (new)

Laura (apenandzen) In honor of our fearless leader, Lori, Super Mod, read a book whose title begins with the letters "L", "S", or "M".

Read a book with a title that includes easter, bunny, rabbit, or any book about rabbits.

Read a book about green energy or about renewing or protecting the environment.

Read ANY book that is voted on for a TNBBC group read. (And it would be nice if up to the full six books could be included in this task for bonus points or something like that.)

Read a book with one or more people on TNBBC (outside of the voted-on group reads) and discuss it in a TNBBC thread.

In honor of Lent, read a book about giving something up, or quitting a habit.

In honor of Good Friday and Easter Sunday, read a book with Friday or Sunday in the title.

In honor of April showers, read a book with any rain, thunder, or storm-related weather word in the title.

In honor of tax day (US April 15th), read a book with any number in the title, or the word tax, return, internal, revenue, or service in the title.

message 7: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) In honor of Memorial Day, read a book about any soldier, living or dead.

message 8: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Read a book that was published in 2009.

message 9: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa | 137 comments Read a non-fiction book about St. Patrick's Day, Easter, or Mother's Day.

Read your mother/grandmother/mother figure's favorite book or a book that reminds you of them.

Read a book related to what you are giving up for Lent or what you would give up if you "celebrated" this event.

Go to your bookshelf, close your eyes and point. Read whatever you are pointing to.

Read a book about or that takes place in a well-known Spring Break destination (i.e. Florida, Mexico, Carribean, etc)

message 10: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 1000 comments For Mother's Day, read a book that centers around a mother/daughter or mother/son relationship

For April Fool's Day, read a humorous book

Read a book where an animal is the main character

message 11: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) 1. Read a book about a bird, double points if it's a chicken!

message 12: by Lisa Julianna (new)

Lisa Julianna (lisajulianna) | 1053 comments WOW!!! you all have such great suggestions....not even close to finishing the winter challenge but getting excited to do the spring one...hehe!!!

message 13: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) In honor of St. Patrick's Day, read a book with the word green, Patrick, Saint, or Ireland / Irish in the title.

Read a book that has your mother's first name or a name beginning with her initial in the title or as a character in the book.

message 14: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) pssst...Fiona...what's the significance of the chicken? Do you mean like little Easter chicks?

message 15: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) Yeah, little Easter chicks. But chickens lay eggs and they're funny creatures.

message 16: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa | 137 comments oh fiona i <3 you

message 17: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) Err... wow! I <3 you too!

message 18: by Jon (last edited Jan 26, 2009 09:07AM) (new)

Jon ooh how excitement - ive been waiting for this too!

It will be Autumn in Australia but wont hold that against the Northern Hemisphere lol, after all i lived there for 32 yrs, have tried to chuck in a couple of more global book suggestions though

1. The Pullitzer prize is awarded in May, read a book that has won a major literary prize - e.g Pullitzer, Booker, Orange, Whitbread etc
2. April 25 is ANZAC day in australia - read a novel set in Australia and/or by an Australian author
3. H.M Queen Elizabeth II is 83 on 21 April, read a book relating in some way to the British Monarchy past or present. Fiction or Non-Fiction
4. 'Spring into something new' - go to a library or book store and pick the first book in the alphabetical section for the first letter of your first name - i.e for Jon pick the first book in the J section.
5. With continuing trouble in Gaza - read a book set in either the Muslim/Arab or Israeli world - (in the broader sense i.e not neccecarily relating to conflict)
6. 5pnts read one of the nominated group reads - we have to have a way to make sure we can fit them in too! I can only manage one Feb one now cos ive got no more spots to fill and no time to read anything non challenge related!
7. For a novelty tie breaker type thing - why not have a dastardly 50 pnter you can only do if you comeplete the entire challenge - open to suggestions

8. Springs about births and beginings - read a book written in the year you were born (or could make it decade if thats too hard to work out without our librarians help! insert web link poss)
9. March 21 is Human Rights Day in South Africa - read a book set in Africa or by an African Author.

And id like to second some of the other great suggestions people have had - gosh we are creative!:

Read a book set in your town, or a place near you that you know.
Read a book with the name of a flower in the title.
Read a book about restorations or renewals.
Read a book with one of the seven deadly sins in the title (wrath, sloth, greed, pride, envy, lust, gluttony)
Read a book that you were made to read for school and didn't enjoy/appreciate at the time. (Read it without the Cliff's Notes this time)
Read a book with the name of a planet/moon in the title
In honor of April showers, read a book with any rain, thunder, or storm-related weather word in the title.
In honor of our fearless leader, Lori, Super Mod, read a book whose title begins with the letters "L", "S", or "M". nice one!
In honor of St. Patrick's Day, read a book with the word green, Patrick, Saint, or Ireland / Irish in the title.
For April Fool's Day, read a humorous book
Read a book that has your mother's first name or a name beginning with her initial in the title or as a character in the book.

thats me done for now! how on earth will you pick Cynthia? its getting to be an international phenomenon! dont hesitate to edit any of mine to make them make more sense if used.

message 19: by Nancy (last edited Jan 26, 2009 12:48PM) (new)

Nancy - Read a graphic novel
- Read a book that has been translated
- Read a book about birds, with a picture of a bird on the cover, or a bird's name in the title
- Read a Mythopoeic Award winner
- Read a "May-December" romance
- Read a book about food, health, or weight loss
- Read a book by a Goodreads author
- Read a book by an author who uses three names (Michael Marshall Smith, Patricia Nell Warren, Edgar Allan Poe, Joyce Carol Oates, etc.)
- Read a book about the ocean or sea

message 20: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Jon wrote: "April 25 is ANZAC day in australia - read a novel set in Australia and/or by an Australian author..."

I'm reading Tender Morsels by Margo Lanagan, an author from Sydney. What a fabulous writer! I'll have to read another one of her books if your suggestion is used, or maybe read another of Isobelle Carmody's. Decisions.....

message 21: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) OK, I'm back with more!

1. Read a fiction book about a country you wish you could travel to in springtime.

2. Read a non-fiction book about organization or spring cleaning techniques.

3. Read a book about something that bounces. (Get it, spring? Boing! LOL)

4. Read a book that includes a color in the title. Then eat a food other than candy that is that color. (Example: Yellow - Curry)

5. Read a fiction book about cooking or BBQ. Choose a recipe from the book and prepare and eat it.

6. Read a book with a setting on or near a large body of water.

OK... Back to work again! :)

message 22: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) What does ANZAC stand for? The 25th is my Birthday.

message 23: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (hayes13) Jen suggested: Read an epistolatory novel (one told in letters/correspondence)
That way everyone can read 84 Charing Cross Road, which is a personal fave of mine!!

message 24: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Hayes wrote: "Jen suggested: Read an epistolatory novel (one told in letters/correspondence)
That way everyone can read 84 Charing Cross Road, which is a personal fave of mine!!"

I loved the movie and have been wanting to read the book.

message 25: by Jen B (new)

Jen B (jennybee618) Fiona, it looks like ANZAC stands for "Australia and New Zealand Army Corps" day. It is one of the holidays marked on my calendar, which for whatever reason includes all Australian, British, Canadian, and Chinese holidays. I can celebrate all year round...

message 26: by DevonAlyse (new)

DevonAlyse | 75 comments How about reading a book in which one of the main characters or the author has your name.

I guess, maybe I have a semi-random name, so this is always fun for me...

message 27: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) I'm already looking forward to the next challenge - some of these are very inspiring, esp. the international ones! Those typically include books I'd be less likely to read.

message 28: by Beth (new)

Beth | 342 comments WOW! Great suggestions, everybody! I'm quite impressed!

I only have one so am feeling a bit lame in comparison...

March, April and May’s birthstones are Aquamarine, Diamond and Emerald...read a book with one of those in the title.

message 29: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melitious) There are some really great suggestions, so far. I had a good one a while back, but didn't write it down. I am already starting to pick out books that are on my TBR that might fit with some of these suggestions.

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 636 comments wow lots of great suggestions..i haven't read through them all..so i apologize if i am posting something simlar..

March is National Women's History Month so read a book where a woman is the main character

read a book written in the last 5 years

read a book with an author that has same birthday month as you

read a book set in a place you've always wanted to visit/live

read a book from an author that was born/or had lived in your state/geographical area

Read a book about a person you admire

Read a book about a subject you wish you could have studied in school

message 31: by Alice (new)

Alice (aliceg) | 254 comments This is soooo cool!

1. Read a book where the title includes just one letter on it's own other than I.

2. Read a book where one of your names is the same as one of the author's names.

3. Read an autobiography of a radio or television personality.

(ok I own up those first three were very much tailored to fit my tbr books!)

4. As it'll be Easter read a book that has a name of a biblical character in the title.

5. The last week of Fairtrade Fortnight is the first week of March. Read a book which is set in a developing country or where ethical/fair trade is an issue.

6. The London Marathon is on 26th April. Read a book where either the theme is running or running is in the title.

7. The Queen's (Britain's) birthday is on 21st April. Read a book where royalty is the main theme.

8. 15th April is the anniversary of the sinking of the Titanic. Read either a non fiction book about the Titanic or a fiction book about a boat journey.

Ok that's all I can come up with!

Alice x

message 32: by Nancy (new)

Nancy - read a book with a woman's name in the title
- read a mystery by a British author
- read a book featuring a significant gay or lesbian character
- read a collection of short stories or essays
- read a book about homelessness
- read a book by a Swedish author
- read an Edgar Award winner
- read a science fiction book published before 1980

message 33: by Heather (new)

Heather Nancy wrote: "Hayes wrote: "Jen suggested: Read an epistolatory novel (one told in letters/correspondence)
That way everyone can read 84 Charing Cross Road, which is a personal fave of mine!!"

I loved the movie..."

I love the movie too...it's one of my favorites! Every book lover should see the movie or read the book. IMHO of course. Anne Bancroft is hilarious in the movie.

message 34: by Heather (new)

Heather Okay, I had several ideas for the Spring Challenge, but after reading all of these wonderful posts...I suddenly couldn't remember any of mine. Anyone else have this problem?

message 35: by Maria (new)

Maria (minks05) | 481 comments 1. read a book from your child's school reading list, or call your local high school/secondary school to get an idea of their reading lists

2. read a book where the character has a profession you always wanted to be

3. read two books with similar themes (an example would be two books dealing with a utopian society, or two dealing with the death of a spouse, etc..)

4. read a book about a local historical event/person/place

5. read a book whose title starts with the same letter as your Middle name

message 36: by Meghanly (new)

Meghanly | 218 comments YEA!!! So exciting!

In honor of Daylight Savings Time, read a book with Hour, Clock or Time in the title.

In honor of Cinco de Mayo, read a book set in MEXICO or by a Mexican author.

Honor your mother on Mother's Day - read a book that she recommends, or one you know was one of her favorites, or a book with the word "Mother" in the title.

Arbor Day is in April! Read a book with the word tree or the name of a type of tree (oak, maple, etc.) in the title.

April Fool's Day - Read a book with the words prank, joke, or hoax in the title.

Read a Young Adult Novel nominated for the Michael L. Printz Award for excellence in Young Adult Literature. Find a list of current and past nominees/winners at http://www.ala.org/yalsa/printz

message 37: by Jon (new)

Jon ANZAC stands for "Australia and New Zealand Army Corps" - thanks for answering for me Jen!

its kind of like memorial/rememberence day overseas - Australia day would have fitted better but that was yesterday! and plenty of good authors - Tim Winton, Bruce Chatwin, Bryce Courtney, Coleen Mculloch, Peter Carey

message 38: by Angie (new)

Angie Beth, you only had one suggestion, but it was a very good one!

My suggestions: Read a book with the name of a color in the title.

Read a Newbery Award winner. (The 2009 Newbery Award winner was announced today--The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman.)

Gotta go.

message 39: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) Heather (one of many) wrote: "Okay, I had several ideas for the Spring Challenge, but after reading all of these wonderful posts...I suddenly couldn't remember any of mine. Anyone else have this problem?"

yep, know exactly what you mean, Heather!

message 40: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) What about:

Read a book that was originally written in a foreign language but translated into English

Read a book which weighs at least 1 pound (I'd recommend either small hardbacks or really thick paperbacks)

Read a collection of short stories / anthologies

Read a book off a shelf of one of the top 3 winners of the winter challenge

message 41: by Angela (new)

Angela | 1934 comments These are all great suggestions!!! I do not have anything to contribute at this time, but I also wonder how Cynthia chooses from all these suggestions.

message 42: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) I was wondering about that too....

DO TELL US Cynthia! I'm curious how you whittle it down. I'd find it nearly impossible.

message 43: by El (new)

El -In honor of the Ides of March, read a non-fiction or fiction book about Julius Caesar, Brutus, or others involved in Caesar's assassination.
-For Mother's Day, read a book about motherhood (non-fiction or fiction).
-Read a book with a Spring word in the title (rain, thunderstorm, flowers, etc.).
-Read a book about Women's Rights and/or the Suffrage movement in honor of Women's History Month.

message 44: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) I'm back with more again!

1. Read a book about a sport that can be played outdoors.
2. Read a book about animals that talk (even if its in their own head).
3. Read a book by a Mexican author for Cinco de Mayo.
4. Read a book about a new or first time mother for Mother's day.
5. Read a book with "Earth" in the title for Earth Day.
6. Read an E-book to save trees in honor of Arbor Day.

message 45: by Heather (last edited Jan 26, 2009 07:05PM) (new)

Heather March 14th is "National Potato Chip Day" (I'm not making this up)
Read a book with the word potato, chip, or crisp

message 46: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) | 1826 comments I just kind of look through the suggestions and try to come up with a well balanced board...have some author related, some title related, some character related tasks, some holiday or seasonal tasks...try to pick tasks from different people. I don't have a formula or anything (this will only be the 3rd board I've put together so I'm still figuring things as I go).

message 47: by Bonnie (last edited Jan 26, 2009 11:40PM) (new)

Bonnie | 271 comments Can I please put in a plea that none of the tasks be overly specific? By that I mean tasks where the title has to contain a few specific words that are not very common in book titles (i.e., December/January/February is impossible for me to fill in the winter challenge). I don't have access to a public library with English books for the next year, which means I have to buy or borrow all the books I read. I really, really want a shot of finishing the Spring Challenge but it's not quite worth it to me to pay $10 or so for a book that I have no real interest in just to complete a task. However, if most people like the very specific tasks, then I bow before the majority and hope the contest is still going strong when I get back to the States and have a library system again!

So, my suggestions are generally inspired by spring observances (thank you wikipedia):

1) For Mother's Day: Read a book where a mother is a main character or a biography of a woman who was a mother.
2) St. Patrick's Day: Everyone's Irish on St. Patty's! Read a book set in Ireland/about Ireland/by an Irish author.
3) April Fool's Day: Read a humorous book/a book that makes you laugh
4) Day of Silence: Read a book by a LGBT author or with a LGBT main character.
5) In honor of Buddha's Birthday and the fact that May is Asian Pacific Heritage Month: Read a book by an East Asian author/set in East Asia/about East Asia
6) In honor of International Children's Book Day and Children's Day (Japanese holiday): Read a book where a main character is a child (under 18).
7) Astronomy Day: Go among the stars! Read a sci-fi book or a book about astronomy or has the word planet/star in the title
8) Memorial Day & Victory in Europe Day: Read a book about war or about/by a soldier
9) Middle Name Day (yes, there is a middle name day!): Read a book by an author whose first or last name is the same as the first letter of your middle name (last name if you have no middle name)
10) In honor of ANZAC day, Canada Book Day and Tartan Day: Read a book by a Canadian, Scottish or Australian author or set in one of those countries (or maybe just scrap that and make it a task where you have to read a book by an author from/set in a member of the Commonwealth).
11) For the Queen's Birthday: Read a book where the main character is royalty (king, queen, prince, princess) or a biography of royalty
12) In honor of the many, many lesser known holidays/observances: read a book that relates to one of the following: Pi Day (March 14th), Tolkein Reading Day (March 25th), Arbor Day, Cinco de Mayo, Daylights Saving, the sinking of the Titanic, Human Rights Day, National Potato Chip Day, etc.
13) Spring Plants (others have had similar suggestions): Read a book with a plant's name in the title (expanding on the flower in the title suggestion)
14) To the other spring words people suggested, I would add: Sun, Bird, Cloud, any animal (has that already been said?)
15) Going off what others have said: Read a book where the author or character has the same name as you or someone in your immediate family; all three of my names (first, middle, last) are fairly rare and I can mostly find them only in relation to romance novels! If I have the pool of my brothers' and parent's names to draw from, I have a hope of finding something good to read!

I liked a lot of everyone else's idea, especially anything that would let me clear off my TBR list (i.e., bnoir's read the book you have for the longest time in the tbr pile)

message 48: by Jon (new)

Jon I agree with Bonnie - im not overly keen when the tasks get overly specific - its good to have things that make you branch out a bit, on the other hand i think weve had enough books with the month in the title. Also not overly keen to limit book choice to a narrow genre like sporting, cookery or spring cleaning as would have zero interest - i prefer it with a little bit of leeway. And also prefer not to have the tasks that involve something other than the reading itself - but thats just me..still loveing the ideas!

message 49: by Sherry (new)

Sherry | 49 comments wow, these are all great suggestions!
I do take exception to the following one, though!
Honor your mother on Mother's Day - read a book that she recommends, or one you know was one of her favorites
I'm sorry, but my Mom's reading material in the last couple of years has been "Bodice Rippers"!!! Please, don't pick this one...I can't handle it!

What about reading a book, that the author was born in the Spring? (Too much research?)

message 50: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie | 271 comments Sherry, College Students! 2009 challenge has a link to authors' birthdays.

Famous spring authors include:

March: Jack Kerouac, Tom Wolfe, John Irving, Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Douglas Adams, L. Ron Hubbard, John Updike, Tenessee Williams

April: William Shakespeare, Anne McCaffrey, Washington Irving, Maya Angelou, Booker T. Washington, William Wordsworth, Barbara Kingsolver, Tom Clancy, Henry James, Robert Penn Warren

May: Walt Whitman, Joseph Heller, Niccolo Machiavelli, Karl Marx, L. Frank Baum (Wizard of Oz), Diane Duane, Dante, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Ian Fleming (James Bond), Ralph Waldo Emerson

Not an all-inclusive list, but just a sample of some of the more well-known choices. I think Sherry's idea is good because everyone can probably find an author they want to read and it spans a lot of genres (classics, sci fi, mysteries, poetry, thrillers, modern fiction, etc.)

« previous 1 3 4 5 6