College Students! discussion

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lori, The Over-Caffeinated Coffee Girl (new)

Lori Walker | 2109 comments Mod
How do (or did for you graduates) you juggle school and reading for pleasure?

Personally, I have to make a choice between homework (the less important stuff) and reading in order to get any reading done. Or else I show up really early for class and read in the hallway, but that's not really quality reading. I'm really wanting to incorporate more reading into my life, but I hate having to schedule it (it's like those couples who are having fertility issues and have to schedule sex--it's supposed to be enjoyable, but eventually becomes a chore) or purposely not do something else.

message 2: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberlywithat) | 2140 comments I will usually read when I first get home from classes, usually while I'm eating lunch. Itgives me time to wind down and be ready to do homework, or go to work my shift. And then I'll read just before I go to bed. Not as much reading time as I'd like, but its ok.

message 3: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (xtoloveistolivex) | 534 comments I'm working full time and going to school full time, so I pretty much just read whenever I have the chance. I read on my breaks at work and before bed pretty much always. Whenever I get home from work and/or school I usually will read. I make myself find time, because I'd have a nervous breakdown if I had to stop reading!

message 4: by April (new)

April (booksandwine) At school we have a couple of lounges in the classroom buildings, so I do my reading between classes in one of the comfy chairs in the lounge. I try and get reading and homework done first so I can get to my books. I work about 20 hours a week, but my job is fairly simple so sometimes I get to read/do homework at work.
But yeah, it can be tough balancing books and school-work, definately if you have a free minute, whip out your book. This sounds dumb, but I always have my book on me just in case I have an unexpected wait or some free time.

message 5: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberlywithat) | 2140 comments April, that doesn't sound dumb at all. I'm exactly the same way!

message 6: by Janet (new)

Janet I usually try and do my homework in-between classes so I can read when I get home. But I ALWAYS read before I go to bed. That is pretty much it. Haha.

message 7: by Allison (new)

Allison i will read before bed and when i take a bath.
although, right now, i haven't been reading at all. i'm just to tired, or only have time for a shower.

message 8: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (misslaurenwilk) | 425 comments I usually read when I get home for school or work. I *try* to do homework instead of reading, but it doesn't always work out that way.

message 9: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 4407 comments Mod
i would always try to read in between classes if i had to wait..always bring my book with me just in case..i would also read if a bunch of us got together at my boyfriend's apartment to watch the Phillies games..i would read and watch the game at the same time. lol..it didn't matter because normally i was one of the only girls there.

message 10: by Anna (new)

Anna Shumaker (annashu) I would always carry my books around and read between classes or on the bus to work. I would always feel guilty if I sat around for a full day reading for pleasure instead of school but sometimes it was necessary to gain some sanity.

message 11: by Rafaela (new)

Rafaela | 136 comments I try to read in between classes and at lunch time but it isn't working, definitely. It's difficult to remain focus and ALWAYS there is someone who comes and starts talking to me (people doesn't care about the fact that I'm reading!).
At night, when I have the homework done, I usually read until fall asleep.

message 12: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) I read in between classes or when waiting for the instructor to arrive.

message 13: by Emily (new)

Emily Okay having a hard time juggling right now, should be studying for class but all I want to do is read!!! seriously there are so many books that I want to get to!!! What are your top ten to-read books??

Mine are in no particular order:
Wuthering Heights
The Omnivore's Dilemma
The Bell Jar
The Know-It-All One Man's Humble Quest to Become the Smartest Person in the World
Wasted A Memoir of Anorexia and Bulimia
My Horizontal Life A Collection of One-Night Stands
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close
The Count of Monte Cristo
A Short History of Nearly Everything
Something Wicked This Way Comes

message 15: by Jen (last edited Nov 10, 2009 09:31AM) (new)

Jen (wishesandwanderlust) | 696 comments Emily- My Horizontal Life is a good book to read when you're brain needs a break. It's a nice easy, light, funny read.

Oh, and the only book on my TBR that I can't wait to read is The Book Thief. It has been been sitting in my bookcase for a few months but I still haven't gotten around to it yet.

message 16: by Heather (new)

Heather (andshewontsleep) | 278 comments Jen, you have to read The Book Thief right away! It's such a great book. Make sure you have a box of tissues with you though.

message 18: by Jen (new)

Jen (wishesandwanderlust) | 696 comments Heather- I hope to read The Book Thief soon! I have finals next week so hopefully I'll get to it around Thanksgiving!

message 19: by Tahleen (new)

Tahleen I remember in my senior year, at some point I was just like "f it" and read whenever I felt like it haha. I still got (most) of my work done but sometimes I needed a break.

message 20: by Lori, The Over-Caffeinated Coffee Girl (new)

Lori Walker | 2109 comments Mod
That's pretty much where I am. In the past week-ish, I've finished 3 books. I'd say my sanity is more important than some of these classes I'm taking.

message 21: by Melissa (last edited Nov 15, 2009 07:37AM) (new)

Melissa | 279 comments I have a hard time finding time to read now. When I liven in Colorado I would take the train to school, which tooK 45 minutes so I would read there and when I was on break at work. I also had an hour drive home so I would listen to alot of books on cd. Now I live five minutes from everything so I dont get the train ride or the hour drive. So I have been reading before bed. My quarter ends Thursday and I plan on getting through a huge list of books before January while quilting 5 pillows for Christmas gifts.

Here is my list.
Finsish:
Anna Karenina
The Handmaid's Tale
Start:
Blackbird House
Nocturnes
Midwives
World Without End
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies
The Lost Symbol
The Chronicles of Narnia