Challenge: 50 Books discussion

Finish Line 2009! > Fran's 50 in 2009

Comments Showing 1-50 of 124 (124 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Fran (new)

Fran Smith (Mfran) | 352 comments Hi, I'm new here, and new to all of this, so please excuse any etiquette mistakes. Since this is the year I turn fifty, this seems to be a perfect challenge for me. Now if I can just figure out the system! and remember what I've read since Jan. 1.

message 2: by Fran (new)

Fran Smith (Mfran) | 352 comments #1- The Tender Bar, J.R. Moehringer, A until he goes to Yale, C-, after
#2, The World According to Bertie, Alexander McCall Smith, B+, lots of fun
#3- Gilead, Marilynne Robinson, A Wonderful

message 3: by Mary Todd (new)

Mary Todd (MaryTodd) | 924 comments welcome! and happy 50! I've been doing 50 for 6 years and it's not too bad!

message 4: by Fran (new)

Fran Smith (Mfran) | 352 comments #4 Why Him, Why Herby Helen Fisher - still not too sure what I thought of this one, but I did keep picking it up over the novels I'm reading, I need to find a discussion on this one, B

message 5: by Fran (new)

Fran Smith (Mfran) | 352 comments #5 Lord John and the Hand of the Devil = C=

message 6: by Fran (new)

Fran Smith (Mfran) | 352 comments #6 This One is Mine, Maria Semple - B

message 7: by Fran (new)

Fran Smith (Mfran) | 352 comments #7 Find Me, Carol O'Connel - B

message 8: by Fran (new)

Fran Smith (Mfran) | 352 comments #8 The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
by Mary Ann Shaffer, Annie Barrows - Loved it! A

message 9: by Fran (new)

Fran Smith (Mfran) | 352 comments #9 Blue Smoke and Murder, Elizabeth Lowell - C

message 10: by Fran (new)

Fran Smith (Mfran) | 352 comments #10 The Mirror, Marlys Millhiser, B+

message 11: by Fran (new)

Fran Smith (Mfran) | 352 comments #11 Whistling in the Dark, Kesley Kagen, A, absolutely loved it

message 12: by Fran (new)

Fran Smith (Mfran) | 352 comments #12 The Secret History of the Pink Carnation, c

message 13: by Fran (new)

Fran Smith (Mfran) | 352 comments #13 Plum Lucky, Janet Evanovich, C
#14 Land of a Hundred Wonders, Lesley Kagen, B

message 14: by Fran (new)

Fran Smith (Mfran) | 352 comments #15 The Comforts of a Muddy Saturday, Alexander McCall Smith, C

message 15: by Fran (new)

Fran Smith (Mfran) | 352 comments #16 Mistress in the Art of Death, Ariana Franklin, A

message 16: by Fran (new)

Fran Smith (Mfran) | 352 comments #17 How we Decide, Johah Lehrer, B

message 17: by Fran (new)

Fran Smith (Mfran) | 352 comments #18 The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo, D, a disappointment.

message 18: by Fran (new)

Fran Smith (Mfran) | 352 comments #19 The Deepest Water, Kate Wilhelm B

message 19: by Fran (new)

Fran Smith (Mfran) | 352 comments #20 The Lace Reader, Brunonia Barry, A. loved it!

message 20: by Fran (new)

Fran Smith (Mfran) | 352 comments #21 The Road, Cormac Mc Carthy, A

message 21: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 487 comments Hi Fran-
I really enjoyed The Lace Reader too! What did you think of The Road?

message 22: by Fran (new)

Fran Smith (Mfran) | 352 comments Melanie, Hi, I'm not sure about The Road. It was beautifully written, but not my cup of tea? I can understand why so many people love it, and I've recommended it to my sons, but not something I really enjoyed. Now, the Lace Reader I want to go back and reread to see what I missed all along.

message 23: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 487 comments I really liked The Road but I understand what you mean about not really being a book one enjoys because the content/concept is very dark and downright disturbing.

I am hoping that Brunonia Barry releases another book soon - I think that The Lace Reader was her first one, which is pretty impressive.

message 24: by Fran (new)

Fran Smith (Mfran) | 352 comments #22 The Virgin Blue, Tracy Chevalier, C

message 25: by Fran (new)

Fran Smith (Mfran) | 352 comments #23 The Masque of the Black Tulip, by Lauren Willig

message 26: by Fran (new)

Fran Smith (Mfran) | 352 comments #24 Doghead, by Morten Ramsland

message 27: by Deb (new)

Deb Fran wrote: "#12 The Secret History of the Pink Carnation, c"

What did you think of Pink Carnation - I have this on my to read list

message 28: by Fran (new)

Fran Smith (Mfran) | 352 comments Hi, They're fun. I didn't absolutely love it, but I did go back to the library for two more in the series. Sometimes a little too much romance, but addicting. Fran

message 29: by Fran (new)

Fran Smith (Mfran) | 352 comments #25 The Serpent's Tale, Arianna Franklin, B

message 30: by Fran (new)

Fran Smith (Mfran) | 352 comments #26 Blindness by Jose Saramago

message 31: by Fran (last edited Mar 25, 2009 06:45PM) (new)

Fran Smith (Mfran) | 352 comments #27 Living Dead in Dallas, Charlaine Harris, B

message 32: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 487 comments Hi Fran,
I just finished Living Dead in Dallas too. What did you think?

message 33: by Fran (new)

Fran Smith (Mfran) | 352 comments It was fun! My first Sookie, and now I'm anxious for another. How about you?

message 34: by Fran (new)

Fran Smith (Mfran) | 352 comments #28 The Keepsake, Tess Gerritson, B

message 35: by Leshawn (new)

Leshawn | 460 comments Congratulations on 28 books Fran!
I just read my first Sookie and I just received the next one and I'm anxious to begin!

message 36: by Fran (new)

Fran Smith (Mfran) | 352 comments Thanks. Hope you enjoy it. I'm looking forward to another. I just wish I'd started at the beginning.

message 37: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 487 comments Fran wrote: "It was fun! My first Sookie, and now I'm anxious for another. How about you?
"

Same here! They are good to read after the "heavy", more serious books - kinda like candy for the brain : )

message 38: by Leshawn (new)

Leshawn | 460 comments Oh Melanie, I love "candy for the brain"! What a great description!

message 39: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 487 comments Thanks, Leshawn!

message 40: by Fran (new)

Fran Smith (Mfran) | 352 comments #29 Bones of the Barbary Coast, Daniel Hecht, B. I loved it until the end, too many loose ends, I mean, give me a break, it was fiction, a few more could have been tied up!

message 41: by Fran (new)

Fran Smith (Mfran) | 352 comments that last post sounded strange, a few more LOOSE ENDS could have been tied up!
#30 Slumdog Millionaire, Vikas Swarup, A Very good.

message 42: by Fran (new)

Fran Smith (Mfran) | 352 comments # 31 People of the Book, Gerladine Brooks, ran across it by accident in the library, fantastic, A

message 43: by Fran (new)

Fran Smith (Mfran) | 352 comments #32 A Version of the Truth, Jennifer Kaufman, A light, fun read, B
#33 Grave Good, Ariana Franklin, #3 in the series, also a B

message 44: by Fran (new)

Fran Smith (Mfran) | 352 comments #34 Tall Grass, Sandra Dallas, A loved it.

message 45: by Fran (new)

Fran Smith (Mfran) | 352 comments #35 Year of Wonders, Geraldine Brooks, Fantastic

message 46: by Fran (new)

Fran Smith (Mfran) | 352 comments #36 The Writing Class, A Novel, Jincy Willett, Very good

message 47: by Fran (new)

Fran Smith (Mfran) | 352 comments #37 The Girl Who Stopped Swimming, Joshilyn Jackson, Loved it!

message 48: by Fran (new)

Fran Smith (Mfran) | 352 comments #38 The Seduction of the Crimson Rose, Lauren Willig

message 49: by Fran (new)

Fran Smith (Mfran) | 352 comments #39 Dead as a Doornail, Charlaine Harris, B

message 50: by Fran (new)

Fran Smith (Mfran) | 352 comments #40 Outliers, Malcolm Gladwell, A

« previous 1 3