The Rory Gilmore Book Club discussion

Rory Book Discussions > ACC - The End of It

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (new)

whichwaydidshego | 1996 comments Mod
Discuss!

message 2: by Alison, the guru of grace (new)

Alison | 1282 comments Mod
"Best and happiest of all, the Time before him was his own, to make amends in!"

"Really, for a man who had been out of practice for so many years, it was a splendid laugh, a most illustrious laugh. The father of a long, long, line of brilliant laughs."

message 3: by Robbie (new)

Robbie Bashore | 592 comments "Merry Christmas, Bedford Falls!"

While reading this chapter, I couldn't help comparing and contrasting it with It's a Wonderful Life. Both Scrooge and George become more hopeful about the future and determined to make the best of it. Both were shown ways in which they unknowingly affected the world around them, albeit one because of his good deeds and the other for his bad deeds or lack of deeds. Both had guides from another plane. George's journey even resulted in affecting his angel for good!

These both are timeless classics, because they tell us something about ourselves and our own lives. Think of all the things we do, good or bad, that affect others. We often don't recognize the things we are doing that impact others, and we certainly can't begin to imagine how many people are ultimately affected. Someone who has learned a lesson of some kind from us may pass it on to others, and so on, and so on, and so on...(what was the name of that shampoo in the commercial?)

What would the world be like if we were never born? What if we continue on our paths of indifference? How can we be more thankful, and how should we go about showing our thankfulness?

Scary stuff, really, yet hopeful.

I'm changing my rating to 5 stars!

message 4: by Sera (new)

Sera Robbie, you make another good analogy. In the ACC movie, Scrooge wakes up, gets dressed and goes outside and starts saying hello and Merry Chistmas to everyone he sees on the streets. Now that I think about, it does remind me of IAWL.

I love the part when Dickens writes that Scrooge becomes like a second father to Tiny Tim.

I think that another message of the ACC is that "it's never too late to change". Thus, there is hope for everyone no matter how old.

message 5: by Meghan (new)

Meghan Well, now I just feel like a group hug is appropriate.

Call me cheesy or a girl, but I just love a happy ending with an uplifting moral. It inspires me to be a better person and that, I think, was the point for Dickens. So kudos, Mr. Dickens. Your tale continues to inspire long after you and your children.

message 6: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Meghan, I cannot tell you how THRILLED I am that you liked this book!

message 7: by Robbie (new)

Robbie Bashore | 592 comments Sera,
I love how Scrooge become 2nd father to Tiny Tim, too. I also liked how he started to get the point with the 1st ghost and, by the end, was kind of asking to learn more lessons.

And, Meghan, I guess I'm a cheesy girl, too!

Often, when I'm reading great books, I'm just so amazed that somebody could come up with an original story and then tell it in a beautiful and/or amazingly effective way. Thank God for writers!

message 8: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (new)

whichwaydidshego | 1996 comments Mod
I haven't finished it yet, sadly (am dying to because it really is just so rich and wonderful), but Robbie, your post brought to mind this movie I recently watched called Akeelah and the Bee. I highly recommend it, but in it without being preachy, it shows how this girl effects her entire community and even beyond with her goodness, vision, and simple kindnesses. It's not an easy path, but it is beautiful to watch unfold. I love movies where everyone grows a little. Even more when someone effects their world for good. what seems small can be mighty! This quote is from the movie (originally Marianne Williamson):

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same."

I find that fantastic.

message 9: by Sera (new)

Sera Awww, Michelle, that quote brings tears to my eyes. Thank you :)

message 10: by Arctic (new)

Arctic | 571 comments just finally finished this last night when my baby surprised me by going to sleep for the night early (and hence rising early...). it'd been a struggle to find five minutes to read, so it was nice to sit down and finish it in one straight hour.

there is a part at the end that i think is remarkably similar to what you quoted Michele:

"Some people laughed to see the alteration in him, but he let them laugh, and little heeded them; for he was wise enough to know that nothing ever happened on this globe, for good, at which some people did not have their fill of laughter in the outset; and, knowing that such as these would be blind anyway, he thought it quite as well that they should wrinkle up their eyes in grins as have the malady in less attractive forms. His own heart laughed: and that was quite enough for him."

also loved this line, as you could really feel his genuine excitement for life:

"I don't know anything! I'm quite a baby! Never mind! I don't care! I'd rather be a baby!"