Fans of Interracial Romance discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived Threads > General Rules of the Road (Board Rules)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 88 (88 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books), Sees Love in All Colors (last edited Jan 05, 2010 11:52AM) (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) (Gatadelafuente) | 7290 comments Mod
For now I have made the group public. If we run into issues, I will make it restricted or private. This is a pretty mature crowd here on goodreads, so let's hope for the best.

Basic Rules:
1. No accusations, criticism, or negative comments about someone's personality and what you don't like about them. I don't know how else to put it. If you don't like something about someone's personality, I'm sorry. That probably won't change with you posting a page of what's wrong with that person. If you have an issue with another member, take it off the list. Keep the subject on topic. In other words, handle it in a one-on-one manner. Goodreads has a private email function. If it is clear that members cannot manage to get past personal conflicts and continue to bring those into posts, those members may be removed from this group for the sake of the entire group dynamic.

2. Agree to disagree. I know it's hard when someone doesn't see things your way. You might feel alienated. We are all different. We are not always going to agree. It's a good thing that there are so many people with different views in the world. If we cannot disagree without getting personal, then we probably should just delete this group now. I don't want to do that, and I don't think anyone else does either. This may be unpopular but no quoting what someone said in a previous post so that you can tell them what they said was wrong or what the flaws were in what they said, or for whatever reason. If the person said something that you don't understand, ask for clarification. It's fairly inflammatory to quote someone's words back to them. Don't do it.

3.Please place a spoiler space if you are discussing major plot elements.

4.Feel free to start a thread for a topic. Keep in mind some topics are more 'inflammatory' than others. The rules about personal arguments still applies.

5.This forum is about unity. That doesn't mean we'll always see things the same way. Treat each other with respect. Let me repeat that. Treat each other with respect.
Respect doesn't mean having the same beliefs as another person. Respect means esteem for others.

6. Authors are welcome on this forum. Please feel free to create a thread to introduce your book or your work.

Further Expectations:

*We all know to treat each other respectfully and agree to disagree.

*I don't know that cursing is not allowed, but try to keep the language fairly clean, just in case.

*It's pretty obvious that we aren't all going to be best buds on this group. Having said that, I will once again reiterate that you need to keep your personal issues off this board. If there is a member on this group you don't like, ignore that person. Snide comments are being noticed. I'm not your mother, neither is Arch or New_User. If you want to have your hands slapped, we will do that for you, but it's not very respectful to you as an adult. If you want to be treated like an adult, act like one. Keep your snide comments, backbiting, and innuendoes to yourself. If a post in a thread seems to be going in that direction, from this point on, you will receive a private message, and your post, if inappropriate, is at risk for being deleted. If you consider this censorship, then so be it. What it is, is asking you to show self-control and maturity. When a person cannot do that, then authority has to step in. Don't unleash Big Sister on your back! Exhibit self-control and show respect to yourself and others.

*There will be no alienating or putting down of members. This is a group, this is not a bunch of factions. If you want to form your own group, feel free to leave and do that. If you want to be part of a community, then accept responsibility for maintaining a community environment. Even if you and others happen to disagree with what someone else says, that doesn't mean that everyone who agrees with you is against the other person.

*Freedom of discussion is important around here. However, it seems that there are certain hot subjects. If a discussion devolves to in-fighting, then a moderator will take control of that discussion, possibly closing it. If you don't like the direction that a discussion is taking because you disagree, don't take it upon yourself to change the subject. Perhaps other members are not finish saying what needs to be said. Only a moderator can close a discussion, so if you're not a moderator, then you shouldn't be trying to close down a discussion. Excuse yourself from the discussion and move onto something else. If you feel that there is an issue that needs to be addressed, please message a moderator off the list. It does not have to be myself. Remember there are two other moderators: Arch and New_User.

*If you have a personal issue with someone on the board, you have some choices available to you. You can try to approach this person off the board and come to an accord, you can leave the group, or you can ignore that person. You do not need to respond to any posts that this person makes, as Arch said, trying to get in as many snide comments as possible the whole time. That's really immature behavior, and it's beneath all of us as adults.

*Please feel free to add books to the bookshelves. One of the great advantages about being on here. Please do not delete books that others have added to the bookshelf.

*Discussions that get out of control will be ended, and the threads will be closed. Inappropriate posts will be deleted. If you don't want to be censored, than you need to make sure that you are following the rules and respecting other members.

*If you cannot disagree with someone in a polite manner, than don't post. Move onto another thread. I know it's hard to bite your lip when you feel strongly about something, but believe me, just because you don't state your opinion on every subject doesn't mean that your opinion doesn't matter. That doesn't mean you cannot say what you believe, but do it in a polite way (and without putting down someone else or their beliefs). If you are too 'hot' to do that, walk away. Come back when you can post in a respectful manner.

*I don't want to have to remove members, but I will do it, and any moderator has the authority to remove a member for justified reasons. That does not mean because they don't like that member. It means, a member who absolutely refuses to follow the group rules.

*If there is an issue with a member's behavior on the board that is not serious enough to cause removal, you will receive a warning in a private message off the board. Take it seriously. That is your only warning. The next infraction probably will lead to removal. If you are removed, you will be notified by private message. There will be no calling out of members on the board, other than saying that a post was inappropriate and it was deleted. That's as far as it will go on the list.

*Everyone should consider this a warning. You will not receive a personal message at this time because I want everyone to understand what the rules are and the issues we are dealing with right now. I urge to you consider your own behavior even though this message is general. But from this point on, if your behavior is out of line with the goals of this group, then you will be notified by private message.

-I am the group owner and by default a moderator.
-However, Arch and New_User (and any future moderators) have just as much authority on this board (with the exception of deleting this group), and they are expected to act impartially in the interest of this group. They will do so. If you don't like decisions made, you are free to appeal them, but go through the moderator who has made the decision first. Out of fairness to all members, I ask that the moderators let me know if they are about to remove a member. If I feel that this decision is being made fairly, I will agree to it. If not, I will ask the moderator not to remove the member. If the situation warrants it, the person will be put on probation, which means they are at risk for removal if their behavior continues to be disruptive.

-Other moderator authority:
*Closing discussions
*Moving threads to various folders
*Other activities designed for the maintenance of the board.
*Deleting inappropriate posts and threads.
*Messaging members who have acted in a manner that necessitates a warning. (I ask that the moderator just drop me a line if this is necessary so that I am aware of what is going on).

Things that any member can do
*Start a discussion thread
*Create a poll
*Lead a book discussion
*Add books to the bookshelf (please do not delete a book that has been added by another member)
*Post to an open discussion thread

I want to make it clear that all rules regarding conduct apply fully to moderators. The burden of acceptable conduct is probably higher, in fact.

message 2: by Arch , Mod (new)

Arch  | 6502 comments Mod
Thanks for the rules, Danielle. Hey, edit your topic. You have made a mistake and said road, instead of Board.

message 3: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books), Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) (Gatadelafuente) | 7290 comments Mod
Arch wrote: "Thanks for the rules, Danielle. Hey, edit your topic. You have made a mistake and said road, instead of Board."

I meant to say road. I was being figurative. :0

message 4: by Arch , Mod (new)

Oh, my bad! Thanks.

message 5: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books), Sees Love in All Colors (new)

No worries. Just me being pretentious.

message 6: by Caylah (last edited Jan 24, 2009 10:22AM) (new)

Caylah | 11 comments Yes i like guidelines.. so this way. i know what i can or cant do.. :-)

message 7: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (new)

CaliGirlRae (Rae_L) | 2000 comments Mod
Thanks for posting this and for the invite! I see a lot of familiar faces. Hey guys! :-)

message 8: by Arch , Mod (new)

Hey Rae

message 9: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books), Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Hey Rae. Glad you could make it. Happy to have you here. I started adding books. Everyone feel free to add books to the shelves.

message 10: by Arch , Mod (new)

Will do.

message 11: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (new)

Sounds great! :-)

message 12: by Marie (new)

Marie (MarieRochelle) | 81 comments Hi! My name is Marie Rochelle. I write interracial romance books. I'm glad that I was able to join this group. It seems like a lot of fun.

Marie

message 13: by Arch , Mod (new)

Hi Marie. Welcome to the group. You are going to have some fun here.

message 14: by Marie (new)

Marie (MarieRochelle) | 81 comments Thank you for the welcome.
Marie

message 15: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (new)

Hey Marie, welcome!

message 16: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books), Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Hi Marie. I love your books that I read. Glad to have you here.

message 17: by Marie (new)

Marie (MarieRochelle) | 81 comments Rae,
Thank you!
Marie

message 18: by Marie (new)

Marie (MarieRochelle) | 81 comments Danielle,
Wonderful! I'm so thrilled you have enjoyed them.
Marie

message 19: by Marie (new)

Marie (MarieRochelle) | 81 comments I just wanted to drop by and wish everyone a Good Morning.
Marie

message 20: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books), Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Good morning, Marie. We'd love your thoughts on the publishing industry's treatment of interracial romance and how they don't seem to be present on the shelves. We're chatting about that under Wake up Publishing Industry discussion.

message 21: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (new)

Morning Marie! :-)

message 22: by Marie (new)

Marie (MarieRochelle) | 81 comments Just dropping in to see how everyone is doing today?
Marie

message 23: by Arch , Mod (new)

I'm doing great. How are you doing?

I am about to get my exercise in, then hit my royal story.

message 24: by Marie (new)

Marie (MarieRochelle) | 81 comments Excellent. I exercised this morning and I have to do it again tonight. I try to get in at least an hour a day or more.

message 25: by Marie (new)

Marie (MarieRochelle) | 81 comments I was wondering has anyone read my books Lucky Charms, Crossing the Railroad or Slow Seduction. If so, what did you think about them.

Thanks,
Marie

message 26: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (new)

Not as of yet. :-)

message 27: by Arch , Mod (new)

Marie, are you books ebooks? My library doesn't carry your books.

message 28: by Marie (new)

Marie (MarieRochelle) | 81 comments Some of my books are ebooks and then they go into print. I think some libraries will request certain books from other libraries. I'm not for sure.
Marie

message 29: by Arch , Mod (new)

My library does interloans.

message 30: by Marie (new)

Marie (MarieRochelle) | 81 comments Okay..try to see if you can order my books that away. I hope you have luck.
Marie

message 31: by Arch , Mod (new)

What genre is your books?

message 32: by Aliyah (new)

Aliyah Burke | 48 comments Just wanted to pop in and say hi and thanks for having this group for us to meet and chat on.
Happy reading,
~Aliyah

message 33: by Arch , Mod (new)

Hi Aliyah.

message 34: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (new)

Hiyas Aliyah!

message 35: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books), Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Hey Aliyah. Thanks for joining us. :)

message 36: by Sheridan (new)

Sheridan (SheridanTBR_forthewin) | 5 comments Marie wrote: "I was wondering has anyone read my books Lucky Charms, Crossing the Railroad or Slow Seduction. If so, what did you think about them.

Thanks,
Marie"

I've read Lucky Charms and you better believe I enjoyed it.

message 37: by Aliyah (new)

Aliyah Burke | 48 comments Thanks for the welcome.
Happy reading,
~Aliyah

message 38: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (new)

Aliyah, if you write anymore historicals/time travel please let us know! (I'd love to read more like A Knight's Vow hehe).

message 39: by Aliyah (new)

Aliyah Burke | 48 comments Will do Rae. Thank you. I'm working on one that deals with Nikolas, the half brother to Marcus in AKV right now. Not sure when it will be done or out, but I am working on it. I also have a series of 5 that will be out hopefully soon that are historicals. The first one in that group in The Princess and the Marquess.
Happy reading,
~Aliyah

message 40: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (new)

That rocks, Aliyah! I'm definitely looking forward to those. Will have to keep an eye out. :-)

message 41: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books), Sees Love in All Colors (new)

I downloaded The Princess and the Marquess this weekend. Look forward to reading it. I know Rae and I love the historicals, also Caylah. Thanks for writing them.

message 42: by PT (new)

PT (spinsterPT) | 319 comments OK, I have joined the group. I am still trying to figure this all out.

message 43: by new_user (new)

new_user Welcome to the group, Shunda! We're having some great discussions! Feel free to let us know if you need any help. :)

message 44: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books), Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Hey Shunda. Great to see you here.

message 45: by Arch , Mod (new)

Welcome Shunda.

message 46: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (new)

Hiya Shunda! Welcome! :-D

message 47: by Justine (new)

Justine L2r | 1082 comments Aliyah wrote: "Thanks for the welcome.
Happy reading,
~Aliyah"

Are you the Aliyah? The Aliyah who wrote a Knight's Vow?

message 48: by Marie (new)

Marie (MarieRochelle) | 81 comments Lilamazon123 wrote: "Marie wrote: "I was wondering has anyone read my books Lucky Charms, Crossing the Railroad or Slow Seduction. If so, what did you think about them.

Thanks,
Marie"

I've read Lucky Charms and..."

I'm so pleased that you enjoyed it. The hero wasn't my usual alpha male, so I was hoping everyone would fall in love or at least like with Patrick.

message 49: by IslandGirl (new)

IslandGirl Reads (IslandGirlReads) Hi everyone, I just joined and hope to read some inter-racial romance! Any suggestions?

Vindella......post as Evy

message 50: by Justine (new)

Justine L2r | 1082 comments Welcome Evy

It depends on what you want to read. What's your specific interest?

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.