Writing Passionates discussion

Other Writing/Reading Stuff > great writing examples

Comments Showing 1-50 of 156 (156 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Veronica, What the neck!? (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:18PM) (new)

Veronica (v_a_b) | 2889 comments Mod
Does anybody know of any books that are "great examples of writing" so others can read them if they choose? If you do, please specify the genre and age group. You are also welcome to add these to the bookshelf.

message 2: by Kenzie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:19PM) (new)

Kenzie | 2838 comments What do you mean by 'great writing examples'? Books? Articles? Poems? All of the above?

message 3: by Cryschelle (new)

Cryschelle (wwwgoodreadscomPenpus) The DragonKeeper Chronicles by Donita K. Paul is so amazing. It's a fantasy written for teenagers, but even adult and little kids love them. The characters are so realistic, there isn't really a cliche character in my opinion. It's fun to read and very well written.

message 4: by Kenzie (new)

Kenzie | 2838 comments My favorite writing is definitely J.K.Rowlings books!!!

message 5: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) Harry Potter is a great writing example. Everyone from young to old love Harry Potter.

message 6: by Eric (new)

Eric Scot (youroddfriend) | 12 comments Stephen Kings On Writing is an amazing book that can help people strengthen their writing talents.

message 7: by Veronica, What the neck!? (new)

Just a reminder-you can add these books to the bookshelf. And if any of you are published, you can add your writng too.

message 8: by Katie (new)

Katie (hockeygoddess) | 8 comments I agree with Eric! I really got a lot from Stephen King's book, On Writing. Especially if you are just starting out...plus, he's a legend so how can you not take his advice!! I also never go without a copy of the current Writer's Handbook and the AP Stylebook on my bookshelf. It may seem technical, but the handbook has TONS of leads for how and where to get publish and as for the stylebook, well, I got my start writing articles for a small paper and I think having strong editing skills can help you present a more clean copy to a publisher to start with. Just my two cents!

message 9: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Ladd (ashleyladd) | 9 comments I think Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen and any Stephen King novel. He's a master of plot, characterization, and prose.

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) white oleander by janet fitch (fiction) is an amazing for its' descriptions! she really makes you see, smell and hear her words!

message 11: by Saybaar (new)

Saybaar | 6 comments I'll second Jane Austen. Although I really don't like her books because the characters and plot seem totally inane to me, the writing is very, very good. Also, for something totally different, I'd like to mention the Silmarillion by Tolkien. The writing style is so utterly different from anything written today, which makes it either enjoyable or impossible to read. I like it a lot, but I know a lot of people who think it's terminally boring...depends on your perspective and what you look for in a book, really.

message 12: by Sella, ov vey! i haven't checked this group in months. >< (new)

Sella Malin | 4530 comments Mod
For a book with good writing style, I would try The Theif Lord by Cornelia Funke; she writes with charm. Angie Sage also has found a neat way to include humor in her writing.

message 13: by Kenzie (new)

Kenzie | 2838 comments I don't know. I just really liked her writing because it hooked me into this 'book' world. It was an eye opener, so they are a fav.

message 14: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (StandWhereIstand) | 5 comments I agree with Brigid. JK Rowling isn't very good technically in my opinion (she suffers from overindulgence in adverbs), but what she is good at is world creation. And she also got tons of kids reading, which is a phenomenal thing to accomplish.

For really great technical writing I suggest checking out some of the pulitzer-prize winning novels like Beloved, The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay, and Empire Falls. Virginia Woolf is also a master of prose in my opinion. Her books can be a bit of a challenge to read, but her sentence structure and use of metaphor is definitely worth checking out for any writer. Mrs. Dalloway, in particular is a fantastically written book.

And Stephen King's On Writing is an absolute must for anyone who is or wants to be writer.

message 15: by Kenzie (new)

Kenzie | 2838 comments Everyone keeps saying Stephan King's On Writing. What's it about? And where would I find it?

Xerxes Break(Vivian Ephona) (ephona) Well, to name some, Scott Westerfield of the Uglies series, Stephanie Meyer, author of Twilight, and probably a good first-person writer, James
Patterson when writing Maximum Ride.

message 17: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (StandWhereIstand) | 5 comments Stephen King's On Writing is his personal memoir/instructional book about writing fiction. The first 100 pages or so are basically his life story and how he got started as a writer - very inspiring. The rest of the book is filled with fantastic tips and exercises for aspiring writers. I don't think it's out of print, so you should be able to get it at any bookstore.

BN.com has it for about $8
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/On-W...

message 18: by Kenzie (new)

Kenzie | 2838 comments Thanks Nicole!

message 19: by Veronica, What the neck!? (new)

me too

message 20: by Kenzie (new)

Kenzie | 2838 comments Did you guys hear that she might not let them make a seventh movie? She aparently - just what I heard - wants people to read her last book instead of see the movie. Wouldn't that stink? I mean, I prefer the books, but it's interesting to watch the movies.

message 21: by Sella, ov vey! i haven't checked this group in months. >< (new)

Aww man! The seventh movie would be awesome!!

message 22: by Kenzie (new)

Kenzie | 2838 comments Yeah...I love that part in the book where everyone thinks Harry's dead, but he really isn't. It's awesome.

message 23: by Sella, ov vey! i haven't checked this group in months. >< (new)

That was so suspenseful! I really thought he was going to die.

message 24: by Kenzie (new)

Kenzie | 2838 comments I was about to cry. I threw the book. But then I picked it up, to read what happened, and it turned out he wasn't dead. I laughed at myself then.

message 25: by Kenzie (new)

Kenzie | 2838 comments That part with Dumbledore was extrememly confusing. I kept reading it again and again, 'cause I couldn't understand what had happened. What did you find confusing, Tori, exactly?

message 26: by Sella, ov vey! i haven't checked this group in months. >< (new)

I thought the part with Dumbledore was really confusing. I didn't know where Harry was, if he was in heaven or something, who that kid in pain was, and it...just didn't make any sense.

message 27: by Kenzie (new)

Kenzie | 2838 comments Does anyone know what that kid in pain symbolized? I can't figure it out.

message 28: by Sella, ov vey! i haven't checked this group in months. >< (new)

I think it's the part of Voldemort's soul that was stuck inside Harry.

message 29: by Kenzie (new)

Kenzie | 2838 comments I expected her to make more out of his death, but in the long run, I like it short.

message 30: by Sella, ov vey! i haven't checked this group in months. >< (new)

I was disappointed when Harry didn't actually kill Voldemort- he just used the Expecto Patronum! It felt cheap.

message 31: by Kenzie (new)

Kenzie | 2838 comments I heard somewhere that she might make another book in like seven years or something.

Xerxes Break(Vivian Ephona) (ephona) Has anyone here read the Looking Glass Wars?

message 33: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (StandWhereIstand) | 5 comments I've read the Looking Glass Wars. I thought it was ok. I happened upon it by chance because my company's booth at Wonder-Con was right next to the author's - Frank Beddor. He was promoting the Hatter graphic novel at the time and told me about his book, so I picked up a copy. I thought it was a fairly well-done take on a classic. Much better than Wicked, which I thought was abysmal.

message 34: by adi (new)

adi (restartaugust) | 125 comments I read the Looking Glass Wars... IT WAS AMAZING! Such an interesting take on the series. Yeah, I love them. They're making a movie.

Xerxes Break(Vivian Ephona) (ephona) I know. I just wonder how closely they are going to follow the book...in detail mostly.

message 36: by Allie (new)

Allie (pearlrose95) Only the first LGW. It was amazing!!!

message 37: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ | 5857 comments Mod
i have to read these. i've heard so much about them! i'll go add it to my to-read list...

message 38: by Katie (new)

Katie S (bookworm23) | 8 comments THE HOST is a great writing example. STEPHANINE MEYER is an icredible author. this TEEN novel has romance, suspence, drama, and execpected surprises. OMG I LOVE THIS BOOK. u all should read it.

message 39: by Laina (new)

Laina (laineyru) Right... I honestly don't understand what the big deal over Stephenie Meyer was. She's one of those authors that I don't want to read because I don't like the way she affects my writing. Honestly, her writing isn't all that great. It's emotion, which is why people like it. Which I guess that works, but I don't enjoy it much. Everything is discovered through very teen dialogue. Brigid mentioned JK Rowling not having a mature writing styple, but she's eons ahead of Stephenie Meyer! (by the by I love Jo and her writing!!) I mean, Meyer doesn't stay true to her characters (in the Twilight series at least; I haven't read the host), her dialogue is confusing. I always had to go back and reread. Her puncuation and some of her grammar is wrong... *shudder* I'm not a huge fan to say the least.

message 40: by Laina (new)

Laina (laineyru) In answer to the question, though (sorry, I get distracted!!) if you want to read quality, lyrical, amazing writing, read something of Shannon Hale's. The Goose Girl may be a little rough, but get through it and read the Bayern series. They are so good, so well written, and just plain amazing. If you don't want to commit to a series, read at least Princess Academy and Book of a Thousand Days. Two of the best books written in this world. (Also, you don't have to read the Bayern series in order. You can pick and choose.) Austenland is a great examply of humor and fun, too.

If you want to write humor and don't exactly know how, read Joan Bauer for a great example. HILARIOUS! And well written and clever. They're great.

message 41: by Katie (new)

Katie S (bookworm23) | 8 comments With twilight it IS one of those books U HAVE to re-read, i had to and that made it even better a story. ^^ i see tht u like JK. better, that is fine with me I JUST LIKE MEYER BETTER. as i read the harry potter books i got bored by the 4th book, i skimmed through the 5th one, then i gave it up for TWILIGHT. no offense to u Liana, i like Stephanenie Meyer alot better

message 42: by Veronica, What the neck!? (new)

Hmmm, I like both of the series, but I do like Twilight a bit better.

Either way, neither of the books can possibly stand up to To Kill a Mockingbird, which, in my opinion, is one of the best books I have ever read.

message 43: by Laina (last edited Feb 25, 2009 02:35AM) (new)

Laina (laineyru) no offense taken. Before you think that I never did like the Twilight series, though, I ahve to admit that I read Twilight over nine times and New Moon even more... Eclipe made me realize what was wrong with it. I haven't read To Kill a Mockingbird yet. My teacher wouldn't let me because she said I'd be reading it next year in school anyway. Any other time i would've read it anyway because I read what I want, but I got distracted... : )

message 44: by Sella, ov vey! i haven't checked this group in months. >< (new)

Laina, what do you find wrong with Eclipse? I think it's the best one out of the three.

Twilight is my favorite series in the whole world; after that comes the Uglies series, and after that Percy Jackson, after that Warriors, after that Septimus Heap...oh yeah and Harry Potter.

message 45: by Katie (new)

Katie S (bookworm23) | 8 comments sella I LOVE THE UGLIES SERIES TOOO. but after twilight. and eclispe IS the best one, it has the most werewolf and vampire action, and it also gives stories about the Cullen's past lives. (jasper and rose's human lives)

message 46: by Veronica, What the neck!? (new)

I think that Twilight is better, because New Moon and Eclipse are pretty depressing...particularly Eclipse...

message 47: by Sella, ov vey! i haven't checked this group in months. >< (new)

Seriously? Oh...Eclipse was my favorite. It has the most depth and the plot has a better level of complexity than Twilight or New Moon...the others were sort of a one-way street, but this plot has many sub-plots and such...

message 48: by Kenzie (new)

Kenzie | 2838 comments I like Eclipse the best, too.

message 49: by Sella, ov vey! i haven't checked this group in months. >< (new)

Yay. :D

message 50: by Katie (last edited Feb 25, 2009 02:15AM) (new)

Katie S (bookworm23) | 8 comments omg yeah eclispe is sooo good because u get to know everyone better and they are soo many twists and turns i am soo obssesed LOL. i am going to the realease of breaking dawn tonight in my town. WHOOO

« previous 1 3 4