Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

General Discussion > Question about Southern Vampire (Sookie Stackhouse) chronology.

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Julia (new)

Julia (rhodium_maiden) | 53 comments Hey all.

I mostly lurk, but I'm reading Charlaine Harris's Sookie novels straight through right now. I finished Dead as a Doornail the other day and then started what I thought was the next book in the series, Definitely Dead, which I've now nearly finished.

Question (***********SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!***************):

When did all the Hadley stuff happen? It seems like I've skipped a book or something because the way that plot line is referred to, I feel like it should have happened in real time in a previous novel. Or is that intentionally left out until Definitely Dead?

Thanks for any feedback. :)

message 2: by Ann aka Iftcan (last edited Jan 21, 2009 01:22PM) (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 2659 comments Mod
there was a short story that covered her death--and Sookie finding out who did it. I don't remember what collection of stories it was in, but I can do some searching and see if I can find the book. LMK if you want me to find it.

Ed. Ok, I think I found it. Unusual Suspects: Stories of Mystery & Fantasy edited by Dana Stabenow

message 3: by Julia (new)

Julia (rhodium_maiden) | 53 comments Ann - thanks so much! I'll track that down. I kept thinking my memory was failing.

message 4: by Melissa (new)

Melissa I read the Sookie short story long after I read the books and to be honest, you aren't missing much. I thought the story was actually pretty bad. It was very dry and just info and once you've read the regular book, it didn't seem necessary. I'm not a fan of anthologies though, so it could just be me.

message 5: by Julia (new)

Julia (rhodium_maiden) | 53 comments I don't generally like short stories or anthologies, either, so thanks for that input. If it's short, I'll just read it for thoroughness but it's nice to know I haven't missed anything vital.

message 6: by Jess (new)

Jess | 173 comments I believe the anthology book's name was Bite, that was where the story about Hadley was.. I think.

message 7: by Julia (new)

Julia (rhodium_maiden) | 53 comments Oooh, I have that Bite anthology, actually, on hand! Unread, of course.

*goes to look*

YES, the story in there is precisely the Hadley plotline! It's called One Word Answer. Thanks so much Jess. :)

message 8: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

I too found this story unsatisfying. But then, that's usually the case with short stories. The number of authors who are GOOD at them in miniscule. I read them anyway and try not to be too demanding, mostly because I'm somewhat OCD. I HAVE to have read everything that's written by the author about a series I'm reading. There are several other short stories that Charlaine wrote and sat in the Sookie universe. Some with Sookie, some just sat in the universe. I believe its "My Big Fat Supernatural Wedding" that has a fairly funny story set in the Sookie universe. I can't check the other collections of short stories that I have with one of her stories in them--mainly because my daughter (Lady Ozma also in this group) steals them as soon as I've read them so SHE can read them.

Charlaine is a funny, wonderful lady. I had the priviledge of meeting her once. (got all of my books that she's written in the Sookie line up to that point autographed.)

well, its 2:15 am, so I guess I should head to bed and stop reading all the messages that people have posted to the various groups in Goodreads. :o)

message 9: by Julia (new)

Julia (rhodium_maiden) | 53 comments I also dislike the short story format. It's just so rarely fulfilling, and I'm glad I'm not alone in feeling that way. Gaiman and Fitzgerald are the only short story writers I really enjoy.

But, like you I have this OCD - especially with any sort of series - that compels me to read EVERYTHING even remotely related. *sigh*

Ann, would you happen to know of all the SS short stories and how they are best read in order in relation to the actual books? That way I can attempt some sort of logical chronology in my reading. I read the One Word Answer (Hadley story) last night and finished Definitely Dead, with Altogether Dead next...anything I should be reading before I start that next book?

I agree Charlaine is hilarious, at least as a writer - I've not had the privilege of meeting her,

message 10: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

unfortunately, I don't remember the order. Find the short stories, sometimes by accident. And the stories that are just "in the universe" don't really matter what order you read them. For instance, the Charlaine Harris story in "My Big Fat Supernatural Wedding" is only set in the universe, and doesn't really matter WHEN you read it. It was more intesting as a side-bar and showing that not ALL were's and vamps hated each other (the Bride in it is the vamp, and the Groom is Were, altho the story is actually told from the point of view of the maid of honour.)

Mostly, I just read them when I find that they exist. I am geek enough that I DO read the lists on Amazon (you know the ones where someone has drawn up a list--and short review) of usually 10 books all with some kind of theme. That's how I often find out about a short story that I missed for a series.

message 11: by Julia (new)

Julia (rhodium_maiden) | 53 comments That makes me feel better - that they are in the universe but not really plot-essential or spoilery (other than One Word Answer) - anyway, maybe I can make up my own list now for others. :)

I was able to track down "My Big Fat Supernatural Wedding", so I'll read it tonight before I start the 7th Southern Vampire book. Just finished of the Bite anthology this morning.

message 12: by Melissa (new)

Melissa There's a short story in the Sookie Universe in the book Night's Edge. In Many Bloody Returns, there is a story about Dracula, and if I remember right, Sookie is in that one, but it's very short. Most of the stories in that one were. It was all about birthdays. I actually liked that one though.

message 13: by Julia (new)

Julia (rhodium_maiden) | 53 comments Thanks Maggie! I'll track those down, too.

message 14: by IUHoosier (last edited Jan 28, 2009 12:18PM) (new)

IUHoosier | 25 comments I am VERY OCD, so I have the order for you, *'s denote short stories within the books:

Dead Until Dark
Living Dead in Dallas
Club Dead
Dead to the World
*Powers of Detection
*Bite
*My Big Fat Supernatural Wedding
Dead as a Doornail
Definitely Dead
All Together Dead
*Many Bloody Returns
From Dead to Worse
*Unusual Suspects

Enjoy my fellow OCDers....

message 15: by Julia (last edited Jan 24, 2009 08:35AM) (new)

Julia (rhodium_maiden) | 53 comments Oooh, awesome. *must find Powers of Detection*

message 16: by Julia (last edited Jan 24, 2009 08:32PM) (new)

Julia (rhodium_maiden) | 53 comments Okay, what about 'Gift Wrap' in Wolfsbane and Mistletoe, 'Dancers in the Dark' in Night's Edge, and "An Evening with Al Gore" in Blood Lite...any clue where those go?

Man, Charlaine Harris sure is prolific!

message 17: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 320 comments I think that Gift Wrap in wolfsbane and mistletoe has to come after From Dead to Worse and I assume before Dead and Gone (I am pretty sure this is the title of the next book).
Not sure about the others sorry.

message 18: by IUHoosier (new)

IUHoosier | 25 comments I've not read any of those three, Julia, sorry. According to publishing info, they were published in this order:

Night's Edge Oct 2004
Blood Lite An Anthology of Humorous Horror Stories Presented by the Horror Writers Association Oct 2008
Wolfsbane and Mistletoe Oct 2008.

message 19: by Kittiya (new)

Kittiya | 28 comments Thanks for the great question Julia. I would have never found out about Nights edge, Bloodlite, Wolfsbane and Mistletoe. Or at least not right away. I found the link for Powers of Detection: Stories of Mystery & Fantasy by Charlaine Harris. I unfortunately do not know how to put the link on here as others have... Sorry.

message 20: by Julia (last edited Apr 08, 2009 01:35AM) (new)

Julia (rhodium_maiden) | 53 comments I'm so glad someone else found it useful, Kittiya. :)

I also have made my own list with a more precise chronology with EVERYTHING CH has written to my knowledge. I do not know the order of the last two stories other than that they both come either during or after book 8 because I was spoiled when I started reading them after 7 (I'm waiting on book 9 before I read both 8 & 9 together).

1.Dead Until Dark
2.Living Dead in Dallas
3.Club Dead
4.Dead to the World
*Fairy Dust (Powers of Detection)
5.Dead as a Doornail
*One Word Answer (Bite)
6.Definitely Dead
*An Evening with Al Gore (Blood Lite)
*Tacky (My Big Fat Supernatural Wedding)
*Dancing in the Dark (Night's Edge)
7.All Together Dead
*Many Bloody Returns
8. From Dead to Worse
*Lucky (Unusual Suspects)
*Gift Wrap (Wolfsbane & Mistletoe)

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Kittiya wrote: "Thanks for the great question Julia. I would have never found out about Nights edge, Bloodlite, Wolfsbane and Mistletoe. Or at least not right away. I found the link for Powers of Detection: Storie..."

Yes, super thread! I've only just started foraying into the Sookie universe, so I'm pleased as punch there's this much to read in it. Whether I'll ever get my hands on it all is another story, but like Daniel Day Lewis and chocolate fountains, sometimes it's just good to know that things exist.

message 22: by Yz the Whyz (last edited Apr 08, 2009 07:21AM) (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 1020 comments Mod
I actually have a different list....LOL..Can't remember where I got it, but I'll share..

1. Dead Until Dark
2. Living Dead in Dallas
3. Club Dead
4. Dead to the World
4.5 Powers of Detection*
4.7 Night's Edge*
4.8 Bite*
4.9 My Big Fat Supernatural Wedding*

5. Dead as a Doornail
6. Definitely Dead
7. All Together Dead
7.5 Many Bloody Returns*
8. From Dead to Worse
8.5 Wolfsbane and Mistletoe*
8.9 Unusual Suspects*

9. Dead and Gone

message 23: by Julia (last edited Apr 08, 2009 02:26PM) (new)

Julia (rhodium_maiden) | 53 comments Yz, that list is not right in terms of the internal storyline's chronology. It's probably publication date, which to me is much less important than plot order. Just sayin'.

message 24: by Yz the Whyz (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 1020 comments Mod
Thanks for the input, Julia.

I'll look into it. So far, I've just finished the fourth book, and I'm enjoying the series pretty much.

message 25: by Julia (new)

Julia (rhodium_maiden) | 53 comments I love the series - lots of fun. :) The short stories outside the books are hit or miss , but short enough to be worth reading. Fairy Dust, One Word Answer, and Many Bloody Returns all feature Sookie if I recall. The rest are in the same world but do not deal with any of the main book characters.

Many Bloody Returns is rather essential to read because otherwise book 7 is a little confusing. I would say it actually takes place *during* book 7 somewhere.