Start by marking “Blood Lite (Hellchaser, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Blood Lite (Hellchaser, #0.5)

Blood Lite

(Otherworld Stories #8.2 -The Ungrateful Dead)

The Horror Writers Association Presents Blood Lite...a collection of entertaining tales that puts the fun back into dark fiction, with ironic twists and tongue-in-cheek wit to temper the jagged edge.

Charlaine Harris reveals the dark side of going green, when a quartet of die-hard environmentalists hosts a fundraiser with a gory twist in An Evening with Al Gore...

In an all-
Published October 21st 2008 by Gallery Books

To ask other readers questions about Blood Lite, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blood Lite

Melki
Oct 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
If you like your horror tales sprinkled with a dash of funny, you'll probably enjoy this collection of short stories. Some familiar names - Joe R. Lansdale, Charlaine Harris, Sharyn McCrumb, Jim Butcher, and plenty of unfamiliar ones (to me, anyway), manage to serve up the chills in a humorous VEIN to tickle your funny BONE. (GROAN! I know, sorry!)

In addition to the usual suspects of the genre - vampires a-plenty, necromancers and ghouls, you'll also meet failed horror writers, undead celebritie
Jeffrey
Sep 01, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror, read-in-2009
I had been quite prepared to give this book two stars until Jim Butcher provided a better than average entry to conclude Blood Lite. Still, having read five anthologies in quick succession, I'm not sure I'm any better off than I was before.

The book is largely hit or miss, with a couple of notable exceptions to either extreme. If I don't comment on a story, you can conclude that it didn't make much of an impression.

Mr. Bear, by Joe R. Lansdale, is like reading Chuck Palanhiuk. You are thrown off
Mireille
Jun 04, 2009 rated it liked it
In this review I’ve only listed the stories that are either a “don’t miss” or a “skip it entirely.” All others in the anthology are okay, but not noteworthy on either end of the spectrum. Total of 21 stories in book.

The Ungrateful Dead – Kelly Armstrong – Zombie/Ghost story… fun… 3 stars

Mr. Bear – Joe R. Lansdale – non-horror, un-humorous story… so bad I didn’t even finish it… why in hell did they put this story in here if it didn’t fit the anthology at all?... oooh, that’s the horror of it! - (
Rachel
Nov 02, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: supernatural, horror
Pretty awesome! I generally don't read horror, but there was a Dresden story in this anthology, so I bought it, and figured since it was October, might as well read the rest of them in keeping with the season. There were a lot of good stories in this one! Some were just gruesome, some were verging on shocking, and some were just plain silly, but they were all pretty funny, and the Dresden story is great. All but the Dresden story really do belong in the horror section, though, so be warned....
Elisa
There were some definite stand out stars in this collection: Kelley Armstrong, Jim Butcher, Charlainne Harris. Yet overall the stories contained in Blood Lite were well written, original, and eye-rollingly funny. I mean, where else are you going to meet pushy frat boy ghosts, vampire Elvis, environmental soldier werewolves, practical joker Angels, and dancing Ostriches?
Lady Ozma
Mar 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2009
There are 21 short stories in this anthology and almost every single one was so beyond fantastic that I can't even begin to describe them! I was laughing out loud with a great number of these dark comedies. I like the twisted take of most of these stories!
Cindi (cheesygiraffe)
Oct 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2009-read
Great anthology. I enjoyed all the stories. The funniest was Mr. Bear by Joe R. Lansdale. It was just so wrong. LOL Hell in a Handbasket by Lucien Soulban was hilarious too. Another funny one was High Kicks and Misdemeanors by Lucien Soulban. And yet another funny was Bitches of the Night by Nancy Kilpatrick. My favorite was Day Off by Jim Butcher but I am a bit biased to Harry Dresden.
Sue
Jun 02, 2009 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one
Shelves: anthologies
Julie (jjmachshev)
Oct 11, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2008-reads
There are many amusing stories in "Blood Lite" an anthology with 21 stories from some of the biggest names in the current horror/paranormal genres. Includes stories by Jim Butcher, Charlaine Harris, Sherrilyn Kenyon, Mike Resnick, Sharyn McCrumb, and Kelley Armstrong. From witches to wizards, ghouls to ghosts, and weres to vampires, these stories vary wildly depending on the author's genre, but all have a wacky, humorous zing to them. A pleasant afternoon's reading and sure to hit your funny 'bo ...more
I forgot until I read this book how short a short story actually is. I am so used to reading these books that have three authors and three stories (each story being in the 100 page range) that I forgot how FUN three page to 20 page stories can be. It's also a great way to wet your palet on an author you were not real sure about.

This collection was quite fun and hardly any clunkers in the bunch. Perfect book for a short attention span or when you only have a little time here and there to read.

Barbi Faye (The Book Fae)
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Horror, Humor, Fantasy fans
Recommended to Barbi Faye (The Book Fae) by: genre
I have been in love with this series so much I have gotten several more books in the same genre of short horror stories. This series especially has been infused with witty wonderful dark humor as well, addictive little vice I have discovered; I need more...! These short stories have been such little nummers!!! Like little cupcakes! Mmmm! Read your face off!!
Paola Garcia
Nov 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Where Angels Fear To Tread ☑
John
Jun 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a pretty entertaining collection of short stories...loved the Jim Butcher one and the Elvis one was quite good as well. Definitely worth a read.
Nancy Meservier
December was a pretty good month for me, book wise. It seemed like everything I picked up was enjoyable on one level or another. Then I decided I wanted to dive into some short fiction, and picked up Blood Lite, a horror comedy anthology, from my local book store. I was drawn to this particular book due to the fact that it had short fiction by some of my favorite paranormal writers: Charlaine Harris, Kelley Armstrong, and Jim Butcher. A first I found myself very happy with the content inside, bu ...more
Julianna
Jan 24, 2014 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Reviewed for THC Reviews
When reading anthologies, I usually pick up one novella here and there to fill in gaps between longer books and rarely read them straight through. With that being the case, I've decided to post reviews of each story as I finish it. Reviews on the remaining novellas and the overall book rating will be forthcoming.:-)
*newest review for this anthology

The Ungrateful Dead by Kelly Armstrong -

Mr. Bear by Joe R. Lansdale -

Hell In a Handbasket by Lucien Soulban -

The Eldr
Alison (Lady Coffin) S
can I give it 3.5 Stars??? Not all the stories are 4 star worthy, but some are for sure.

So many stories from......
Kelley Armstrong with her good story about Jamie Vegas the necromancer.
Joe R. Lansdale story Mr Bear that I found to be a very dark, but interesting look at smokey the bear.
Lucien Soulban with Hell in a Handbasket was totally funny, and unexpected look at the underworld. Had me laughing out loud more than once, even with just a tiny bit adolescent boy humor in the end, it was a very
Shannon McGee
Jul 24, 2009 rated it really liked it
22 authors come together to write some humorous paranormal short stories. For me there weren't many laugh out loud moments, but some disturbing moments, maybe. Some of my favorites were:

THE BEST

KELLEY ARMSTRONG - THE UNGRATEFUL DEAD
This one inspired me to add a character to a book I am writing. I just enjoyed the liteness of it and the mixture of the paranormal.

JOE R. LANSDALE - MR. BEAR
Mr. Bear was one disturbing bear. I don't know if this is really one of the best, but I will never forget it.
Amanda
Sep 09, 2011 rated it it was ok
According to the title of the book and the plot description on the back, Blood Lite is supposed to be a "humorous" book, the stories are supposed to be funny and scary at once... but well, they aren't.

I was very disappointed by the number of awful stories in this collection. Many of them fell flat, it was clear that the authors were trying be silly and amusing, but instead they came off as desperate and bleh. In the beginning I forced myself through these stories, but after a while I just strai
Gina Gallo
Dec 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-2012
Most of the stories were funny and cute. It didn't keep my interest enough to make it a quick read, but it was a fun one. Some of my favorites:

Kelley Armstrong wrote "The Ungrateful Dead" which focused on Jamie, the Necromancer. It was funny- focusing on the grumpy and whiny dead people. We all know some people who will be like that- dead or alive!

Joe R. Lansdale wrote "Mr.Bear"- This story just tickled me. I don't know if it was because the idea of Smokey the Bear being a psychopath is just pla
Sam
Nov 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-fun
This anthology is a 21-story salute to the light-hearted side of horror stories. First off, the intent of this collection was not to scare the pants of the reader. If your looking for seriously Steven King-ish or Lovecraft-ian work (though some of those elements can be found here), then look somewhere else. If you're looking for some vampire/werewolf/zombie love that is the predominate fad the last few years, again, your looking on another shelf. I would consider the maturity to be PG-13. It IS ...more
Susan
Oct 27, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
11/1/2009
Immediately read "The Ungrateful Dead", "Mr. Bear" "An Evening With Al Gore" "Where Angels Fear to Tread" and "Day Off"

The Ungrateful Dead • [Women of the Otherworld Short Fiction] • (2008) • shortfiction by Kelley Armstrong
Mr. Bear • (2009) • shortfiction by Joe R. Lansdale [as by Joe Lansdale ]
Hell in a Handbasket • (2008) • shortfiction by Lucien Soulban
The Eldritch Pastiche from Beyond the Shadow of Horror • (2008) • shortfiction by Christopher Welch
Elvis Presley and the Bloodsucker
Pam Winkler
Mar 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
I finally got this one back from the library so I could do my review. Yay!
The Ungrateful Dead by Kelley Armstrong was pretty nice.
Mr. Bear by Joe R. Landsdale was a bit disturbing?
Hell in a Handbasket by Lucien Soulban was pretty amusing.
The Eldritch Pastiche from Beyond the Shadow of Horror by Christopher Welch was pretty funny.
Elvis Presley and the Bloodsucker Blues by Matt Venne wasn't really my sort of thing.
No Problem by Don D'Ammassa was kind of funny.
Old School by Mark Onspaugh and
Julia
Last time I read this I read it for the Charlaine Harris story about a wealthy couple who take on the environment as their cause in “An Evening with Al Gore;” “Day Off” a Jim Butcher story about Harry Dresden trying unsuccessfully to take a day off; “The Ungrateful Dead” by Kelley Armstrong is about the psychic she writes about in her Otherworld series, Jaime.

This time I reread it for “No Problem” by Don D’Ammassa, about a graduate student who is Frankenstein’s descendent. I also really liked M
Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*
Keeping track of the stories and will update as read

Charlaine Harris "An Evening with Al Gore"
Jim Butcher "Day Off"
Sherrilyn Kenyon Where Angels Fear to Tread"
Kelley Armstrong's "The Ungrateful Dead." - Have read this already in another anthology by Kelley Armstrong. Jaime is one of my favorite characters of her Women of the Otherworld, and this is another good story for the female necromancer.
Mr. Bear by Joe R. Lansdale - good grief, what did I just read!?! Mr. Bear by Joe R. Lansdale is beyon
Nov 30, 2008 rated it it was ok
I think the authors here were told to shoot for tones like "quirky" and "funny" when writing about urban supernatural and horror, and most of them overshot directly into "twisted in a disturbing and not funny or thoughtful way." More like "a bad Twilight Zone" vibe.

However, at least all the stories were readable, unlike some of the messes of short stories I have seen in some similar compilations.

I picked this up because two of my favorite authors had stories in it - as for those - Charlene Har
Tasha Turner
Not as humorous as I'd hoped. Some stories I skipped after the first page or two. My favorites were:
The Ungrateful Dead by Kelley Armstrong medium, ghosts, good ending
PR Problems by Eric James Stone ghouls
High Kicks and Misdemeanors by Janet Berliner killer ostriches?
The Bell... FROM HELL by Jeff Strand surprise ending
Day Off by Jim Butcher a Dresden short of usual quality
Helen
Nov 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people who like humor stories, stories of werewolves, etc.
Shelves: animals, cats, mystery, humor
I don't usually like horror books, but the humor in these stories made them amusing! They are not LOL funny, but all have a humorous twist. None are scary.
Storm
Jul 18, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: anthologies
The Ungrateful Dead By Kelly Armstrong

Nothing too fancy. I liked the perspective of Jamie Vegas and Savannah. I can see how dealing with the ghost as they did would be something people in their line of work come up against from time to time. It was worth a chuckle.

Mr. Bear By Joe R. Lansdale

There's funny, there's corny, there's 'meh' and then there's just bad. Ugh. If this was supposed to be funny, it wasn't. If it was supposed to be a little 'scary', it wasn't, this was just bad taste. The hell
Lbaker
The ungrateful dead by Kelley Armstrong - An ironic twist, and I like the fact that ghosts aren't any smarter than the person they were - 4 stars.

Mr Bear by Joe R Armstrong - A little gross, not my cup of tea - 1 star

Hell in a handbasket by Lucien Soulban - Well researched, liked it - 4 stars

The Eldritch pastiche from beyond the shadow of horror by Christopher Welch - it was ok, tried to hard to have inside jokes, they just fell flat - 2 stars

Elvis Presley and the bloodsucker blues by Matt Venne
Stefanie Waring
May 01, 2012 rated it it was ok
This is one of those books that I keep on my shelf because I'm a horrible packrat, and every now and then I take it down to re-read, despite vague warnings bells inside my head. Unfortunately, this collection is not very good. Most of the stories are unsatisfying at best and downright horrible at worst. There are a few good ones but the majority of them just left me scratching my head or rolling my eyes.

I think the worst offender is 'Where Angels Fear to Tread' by Sherrilyn Kenyon. Perhaps it w
The Lost Challenges: Book 15.5 Where Angels Fear to Tread 1 6 Jun 22, 2013 02:20PM

• My Big Fat Supernatural Honeymoon
  • Evolve: Vampire Stories of the New Undead
  • A Fantasy Medley (Otherworld Stories, #9.2; Crown of Stars, #7.5; Realms of the Elderlings)
  • Many Bloody Returns
  • Dark-Hunter: An Insider's Guide (Hellchaser, #2)
  • Mean Streets
  • Unusual Suspects: Stories of Mystery & Fantasy
  • Naked City: Tales of Urban Fantasy
  • Vampires: The Recent Undead
  • Checkmate (Otherworld Stories, #9.5)
  • Midnight Pleasures (Wild Wulfs of London #0.5; Dream-Hunter #0.5)
  • By Blood We Live
  • Hotter Than Hell (The Hollows, #4.5)
Yes, I have a lot of books, and if this is your first visit to my amazon author page, it can be a little overwhelming. If you are new to my work, let me recommend a few titles as good places to start. I love my Dan Shamble, Zombie P.I. series, humorous horror/mysteries, which begin with DEATH WARMED OVER. My steampunk fantasy adventures, CLOCKWORK ANGELS and CLOCKWORK LIVES, written with Neil Pear ...more

Otherworld Stories (5 books)
  • Men of the Otherworld (Otherworld Stories, #1)
  • Tales of the Otherworld (Otherworld Stories, #2)
  • Otherworld Nights (Otherworld Stories, #3)
  • Otherworld Secrets (Otherworld Stories, #4)
  • Otherworld Chills (Otherworld Stories, #5)
“Honey, I liked the Harry Potter movies, too, but that doesn’t mean I ran out and got a Dark Mark tattooed onto my left forearm like you did.” 73 likes
“One of the first lessons a necromancer learns is the art of playing dumb. Of course, one problem with playing dumb is that is seeps into your everyday life. ~Jaime Vegas” 16 likes