A Thousand Splendid Suns A Thousand Splendid Suns discussion

A Thousand Splendid Suns

Comments Showing 1-50 of 73 (73 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Laura (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:24AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Laura This novel was an incredible effort following "Kite Runner."

This time the main characters are female and living in Afghanistan as the country struggles with war and politics over the past decades. The women are forced to deal with unthinkable adversity - adversity we can't contemplate sitting still for in America. The lesson is that our freedoms and justice are not available to everyone.

message 2: by Gayle (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:23PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gayle What a great book to read! It's one of those books that does 2 things at the same time: 1)remind you how lucky you are to live in the USA and 2)it brings to life the harsh reality that other countries consider commonplace practice!!! Excellent book!

message 3: by Faezeh (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:26PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Faezeh Such a powerful second book after the kite runner. Shows the first one wasn't just a fluke. His book is so easy to read and his charaters so alive and real...I fell easily into the story and have had a difficult time of leaving it behind me..always a sign of a good book.

message 4: by Jenn (new)

Jenn I know that this was the book written after Kite Runner... but should I read the Kite Runner first? I already have this one from the library, but I won't read it if it will make more sense if I read the other first!

Annalisa Jenn,
No not at all. They are completely different stories about Afghanistan. You don't need the knowledge in one to read the other. Read it.

message 6: by Liz (new) - rated it 5 stars

Liz I absolutely love A Thousand Splendid Suns. It is eye opening and awful that women in other parts of the world are denied so much freedom. It reminds me how lucky I am to live in a place where women have equal rights as men.

I'm not finished with it yet, but I'm pretty sure this is one of the best books I've read in a while.

Wayward Child I love this book even more than The Kite Runner. Maybe it`s just my romantic side talking, but I always go back and read the parts describing Layla and Tariq`s relationship. It`s so pure and innocent and true, their love is everlasting, if you ask me.

Jennifer Phillips Just finished this book and want to add my voice on what an amazing story. I didn't want it to end! And I don't resent such a book keeping me up past my sleeptime. I highly recommend it.

Karen The Kite Runner really got to me, made me cry, and pops into my mind frequently. While A Thousand Splendid Suns is a splendid book indeed, I didn't find it quite as powerful as The Kite Runner.

Irene Best book I have read in a long time

Kristine Cayne I liked this book. It was well written and showed the relationship between the wives in a way that is rarely done. However, I didn't find the prose to be as inspiring as that in The Kite Runner. It's a near second.

Hannah Rush An exquisitely written story demonstrating the indomitability of love and the human spirit even in the midst of destruction and terror.It has all those components Faulkner said were essential to any story worth writing: Love and Honor and Pity and Pride and Compassion and Sacrfice (without which any story is ephemeral and doomed).

message 13: by rudy (new) - rated it 5 stars

rudy i looooooooooooooved this book, it was such a great read, i finished it in less then a week, and im a slow reader, sadly. it was great! i loved it. it made me cry to be honest. best book i read in a long time.
xxx

Jayne Day I read this book about 4 years ago when I was on holiday in KL and thought it was very good. I actually liked it better than the kite runner. It was interesting to be in KL at the time as it is a place where you see a lot of muslims on holiday and it was very noticeable particularly around the pool where I was staying - the men were in swimming having a wonderful time in boardshorts etc while their women were covered up and under beach umbrellas in 30 degree Celicus temperates!

Karen I really enjoyed this book. Not only was it a story of two women from opposite educational perspectives drawn together by circumstance, it also gives a brief insight into the geographical and cultural aspects of Afghanistan. I could appreciate it was a story, however, I suspect the author had drawn a lot on the experiences he had experienced growing up under this repressive regime.

Allison I found this book to be compelling and was entirely enthralled by it. The story portrayed a very vivid picture of Afghan life from a woman's perspective and left little to the imagination. I cared about each of the characters and frequently was moved to tears by the descriptive prose.

Beth I read A Thousand Splendid Suns and thought it was much better than Kite Runner. That could be because I prefer reading about adults.

Karen This was a fabulous book. It is totally different from The Kite Runner which I loved also. This book, however is told from a womans perspective. It's so hard to believe that women were treated in this manner. I also learned more of what that Taliban was all about. It seems to me that the Taliban is run by very insecure men when they have to keep women on such a low scale.

Angie Such an amazing book. So was The Kite Runner. I hope he writes a bunch more novels! So eye opening!

Gamlath Madhushika Such a amazing book.I would say this is even better than the Kite Runner.
This makes me to love Afghanistan.

Catherine Leggitt This book was amazingly insightful and terrifying and wonderful. What a great peek into war torn Afganistan. I can't say I like it better than The Kite Runner. They were so different. Both of them had an impact on me and I will not forget what happened in those books.

Carmelita I really loved this book, when I read "The Kite Runner" , I thought it was the greatest I ever read, but 1000 Splendid Suns topped that. I am keeping a copy to read back in the future.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

This book is perfectly written. Totally love it!! :D

message 24: by Sim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sim Carter I agree this was a sensational book but quite different from the Kite Runner except for the general part of the world where they take place. But Splendid Suns was such an eye-opener as to how women are treated. It was so shocking and terrifying truthfully. I cried a thousand tears in pain for those women!
They made a film of Kite Runner. Do you think they could make a movie from this one? WHo would you cast as the two women? That would be tough.

Bogan Laura wrote: "This novel was an incredible effort following "Kite Runner."

This time the main characters are female and living in Afghanistan as the country struggles with war and politics over the past dec..."

Samira I loved it... I just read the kite runner and loved both books just the same, I couldn´t stop reading and I cried so much... despite of the characters being male or female, I think the author has great hability to describe and tell the story in such a way that you feel you´re part of the plot!!! Both my favourites, this confirms my saying that a book doesn´t have to be 600 pages to be a great book, I never really expected the ending at all in any way!!!

message 27: by Sim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sim Carter Hi Samira
I cried buckets too! Did you see the Kite Runner movie?

message 28: by Vicky (last edited Mar 28, 2012 02:05PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Vicky I read the A Thousand Splendid Suns and Kite Runner a while ago(2007). I watched the Kite Runner movie last night. It made me cry all over again. Splendid Suns was so very sad. I am not sure I can watch Splendid Suns as a movie...I would be crying throughout it.

message 29: by Sim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sim Carter Vicky, NO ONE could watch Splendid Suns in a movie theatre; wracking sobbing throughout! I wish more people would read this book though and cry and cry in the privacy of their own homes!

Samira Samira wrote: "I loved it... I just read the kite runner and loved both books just the same, I couldn´t stop reading and I cried so much... despite of the characters being male or female, I think the author has..."

No, haven´t seen the movie, but I prefer, like you say to cry by myself reading the book, however I´ll try to get it and see it.

Vicky Does anyone know if he wrote more than these two books?

message 32: by Sim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sim Carter It doesn't look like it. Here's a link http://www.khaledhosseini.com/hossein...
to his website. He talks about wanting to write a play or a movie, in addition to more books. Sounds like he might be working on something but nothing finished yet.

Vicky thank you for the link.

message 34: by Sim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sim Carter Vicky wrote: "thank you for the link."

You're most welcome!

message 35: by Ray (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ray Just brousing this discussion. I read 2Thousand Suns a year or so ago, amazing book. Just downloaded Kite Runner for my Kindle.

Leslea This was a "bookclub" read and I was a bit hesitant about reading it. Wow! I am so glad I did, it was a real eye opener and made me appreciate life in Australia as a free woman. If you enjoyed this book you should read 'The Little Coffee Shop in Kabul'. This is lighter in content than Suns but great characters, great story and had me weeping like a baby at the end!

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

I loved A Thousand Splendid Suns more than The Kite Runner.

Brandy Laura wrote: "This novel was an incredible effort following "Kite Runner."

This time the main characters are female and living in Afghanistan as the country struggles with war and politics over the past dec..."

I really enjoyed this and decided to pick it up because I read and loved The Kite Runner. This is the first book that has ever made me cry. I too enjoyed it more than Kite Runner - both are Brilliant. :)

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

Yep, I enjoyed Kite Runner too. I liked A Thousand Splendid Suns because the author seemed so able to portray the life of the women in Afghanistan. There is one scene that stuck in my mind. It's where the husband made his wife chew pebbles or rocks. Unbelievably cruel.

Heather I loved this book. The author did a great job of portraying the life in Afghanistan. This book brought tears to my eyes. Incredible book.

Susan Davis I found this riveting and disturbing in equal measure. Better to be a dog in Afghanistan than a woman. It's not often a work of fiction makes me angry, but this one did. Yet it is a very beautiful book, beautifully written.

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

Yep, it made me angry too.

Pradeep  An easily readable book. Indeed not boring.

message 44: by Jc (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jc Melgar Such a great storyteller, but the topic is really hard to read.
Freedom is something we take for granted but we shouldn't.
I close the book so many times because the story makes me feel so angry but then it remind me of being grateful of living were I live.

Maryke Snyman Loved the book. I kept on having to flip back to the section start pages to remind me what year the story was happening in as I could not believe how these women lived.

Gave me a very appreciative view of our liberal society where even though there are challenges that we face as women we are at least allowed to live our lives in what ever way we want. No having to be chaperoned by some man.

While their circumstances broke my heart, I was absolutely engaged by the real love the two main characters had. Even though they were different and started out as adversaries. I hope one day to have a friendship that strong and pure

Maryke Snyman Jenn wrote: "I know that this was the book written after Kite Runner... but should I read the Kite Runner first? I already have this one from the library, but I won't read it if it will make more sense if I rea..."

The stories are quite different and deals with different themes so you can read either first, in my opinion.

Christine Cortes this book touches something deep inside...it made me realize how much i take for granted the freedom and rights i have.

message 48: by Mikayla (new)

Mikayla Any one know what page this quote is on if so please tell me?? ?"...yet love can move people to act in unexpected ways and move them to overcome the most daunting obstacles with startling heroism..."

Chami I think Muslim women around the world are going through lots and lots bad and dreadful things than we Buddhists, Christians and Hindus. While we are enjoying our life with our freedom they are giving up lots of things because of their lack of freedom. I pity them all.

message 50: by D. (new) - rated it 5 stars

D. Carr Laura wrote: "This novel was an incredible effort following "Kite Runner."

This time the main characters are female and living in Afghanistan as the country struggles with war and politics over the past decad..."

well said Laura.

« previous 1