SciFi and Fantasy Book Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Members' Chat > Former Introduction Thread

Comments Showing 3,801-3,850 of 6,988 (6988 new)    post a comment »

message 3801: by Filipe (new)

Filipe Alves (filipealves1973) | 9 comments Hello All

Born in 1973. In Portugal.

Gained the joy of reading with my father. He worked in a paper production factory, and since they had a part that made recycled paper - my father used to bring home 50kg of books at a time (with everything you can imagine - from Nobel awarded authors - to pulp fiction) - and comics too.

With that - my brother stuck with comics (he has like 15.000) and i stuck with books (several hundred at home).

I'm a Tech guy in a American company (working in the Portuguese office) and soon discovered that the books in English are cheaper, easier to get and more fast to obtain than the translated ones (for instance - Terry Pratchett only has a few books in Portuguese).

So - with that in mind - i started reading in English.

Just to give you a idea of the last books that i read:
- Redshirts
- The Golem And The Jinni
- Mindbridge
- The Inverted World
- The Third Kingdom
- Azazel
- Hidden Order
- The Long Earth
- The Ocean At The End Of The Lane

Fantasy and SciFy are my main passions.

Hope to gain more insight on these two passions - and also to have someone with whom you can discuss the books with (here it is difficult to find someone crazy about Rincewind - for instance).

Happy readings and fun to everyone!

message 3802: by Scott (new)

Scott (dodger1379) | 66 comments Luis wrote: "Hello All

Born in 1973. In Portugal.

Gained the joy of reading with my father. He worked in a paper production factory, and since they had a part that made recycled paper - my father used to bri..."

Welcome - that sounds like a great childhood! And you brought back memories when you listed Azazel as a recent book - read it years and years ago and have never been able to find anyone else who has read it.

message 3803: by Mike (the Paladin) (new)

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 870 comments Hi, welcome.

message 3804: by Mikhaeyla (last edited Sep 29, 2013 05:00AM) (new)

Mikhaeyla Kopievsky (mikhaeylak) | 1 comments Hey everyone - My name is Mikhaeyla and I'm a lover and author of dystopian and alternative reality worlds. I love the classic scifi works and some of the more obscure. A huge fan of dystopian themes - from Brave New Word to Wool and Snow Crash. I'm currently writing my first novel to completion and just trying to improve my craft as I continue to read and be inspired by great books. Looking forward to joining the conversation in this group!

message 3805: by John (new)

John Rosegrant Hi All. I'm John R (and I hope there aren't already a lot of members going by that moniker--if there are, let me know and I'll use something else). I've loved fantasy since starting with The Hobbit when I was a child. I especially like what I think of as a mixture of Low and High--tales in which someone from the ordinary world enters a magical world. (Actually, The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings qualify, since as Tolkien noted The Shire is thinly disguised English Midlands.) I have read less sci fi but enjoy some, for instance by Ursula Le Guin and Andre Norton, a lot. I'm also about to publish a Young Adult Fantasy novel, but I'll post about that in the Author folder in couple months. I only learned about Goodreads because of my writing, a very nice side benefit.

message 3806: by Mike (the Paladin) (new)

message 3807: by Art (new)

Art (artfink1) | 145 comments Welcome, Luis!

message 3808: by Wesley (new)

Wesley Morrison | 7 comments I grew up on science fiction and fantasy. Star Trek and Larry Niven were my "teething" choices, at least until my mother glanced over my shoulder while I was reading Niven's "A World Out of Time," didn't approve of what she saw for someone my age, and replaced it with a "Tom Corbett, Space Cadet" novel. I was not a happy child, but at least she let me keep watching Star Trek.

And no, 30+ years later, I still haven't finished "A World Out of Time." But someday, I swear!

message 3809: by Mike (the Paladin) (new)

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 870 comments ....moms, they just don't always get it.

Welcome.:)

message 3810: by Wesley (new)

Wesley Morrison | 7 comments Mike (the Paladin) wrote: "....moms, they just don't always get it.

Welcome.:)"

30+ years later, mine still doesn't. But I still love her to death anyway. :)

message 3811: by Light (new)

Light Hy everyone, greetings from Hungary. My name is Orsi, and I read almost everything. I've always loved fantasy but thought that sci-fi is not for me. Then I red The Windup Girl and found out there is much more besides space ships and lightsabers (apologies from the Star Wars fans).

message 3812: by Mike (the Paladin) (new)

message 3813: by T. (new)

T. (tjacksonking) | 2 comments Hi Mike, Nick and all the other readers/authors here. I'm Tom/T. Jackson King,, 65, a former fed archaeologist, writer and editor for small print papers, and a published science fiction writer since 1988. I love ancient archaeology and the cultures of India, Japan, China and the eastern Mediterranean. In non-fiction I enjoy ancient history, current geopolitics, world travel books, and finding friends from cultures all around the world. My Dad worked for the UN so I attended colleges in Paris and Tokyo, to my benefit. Was also an anti-Vietnam War protestor, campus organizer and alleged "communist" according to the hard core rednecks of east Tennessee. Not so. Just a freethinker who has a genetic tendency to question "received authority". This looks like a nice community and I hope to contribute. Tom.

message 3814: by Thadd (new)

Thadd (qoowo) | 32 comments My name is Thadd Evans, age 62. I write hard and soft sci-fi. In the seventh grade, I started reading a book about every two weeks. I have a B.A. in Art and Liberal Studies from Sonoma State University, M.A. in Art, San Francisco State University. I studied graphic & industrial design at City College of San Francisco for 1.5 years.

In 1982, I started reading about quantum mechanics as a hobby. Years later, just for fun, I started reading about artificial intelligence and Chaos Science.

My etchings and paintings are in private and corporate collections throughout the USA, Taiwan and Japan. My etchings have been included in museum group shows, ones throughout the world.

Thank you for reading this. More information is available on my website.

message 3815: by Mike (the Paladin) (new)

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 870 comments Hi Thadd and T. welcome.

By the way T., I'm from East TN and was in the army till '75....:) not sure if I'm hard core or not????

Glad to see you here. I think you'll like the group.

message 3816: by T. (new)

T. (tjacksonking) | 2 comments Hi Mike! Yeah, re Tennessee, I attended UT-Knoxville for my junior and senior years, studying journalism, from 68 to 71, when I graduated. Helped lead some anti-war demos there, and shut down campus for three days during the Cambodian invasion of Nixon. Plus we wore black armbands during VP Hubert Humphrey's visit. We smoke lots of great stuff, heard some far out music, and enjoyed the green hills and coves of nearby Appalachia. Met my first wife, mom of my kids, there.

Mike, I like friendly rednecks, of which there were many in East Tennessee, especially those who liked Blue Grass! Mostly it was the political rednecks that we upset. Strange history is that the campus narc during my time later went on to become mayor of Knoxville. Wild. And thanks for your service in the Army! My son Keith was active duty Air Force and did overseas TDY right after 9/11 in the Afghan theater and later in the Persian Gulf. Tom.

message 3817: by Mike (the Paladin) (last edited Oct 03, 2013 08:18PM) (new)

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 870 comments My brother went to UT medical. I didn't do college till '78 or so (I was living in WV during the Carter admin and construction sort of became another name for unemployed). Went to a community college which became a satellite campus for WVU.

Retired/disabled now. Very little money but more time to read. :)

message 3818: by Mark (new)

Mark Dunstan | 6 comments Hello, my name is Mark (funnily enough!)and I am from Oxford, England. Born and bred, in fact, and have lived here most of my life!

I enjoy sitting back reading when I have the time. I mainly read ancient history ones, but I do venture into the science fiction and fantasy realms too. Dan Abnett is a particular favorite for science fiction, and David Gemmell in fantasy.

message 3819: by Jason (new)

Jason | 1 comments Hello, Im new here, I love to read when I can. Fantasy is how I escape the chaos of the real world. I have only read a few Sci-fi, but enjoyed them as well. Hope to meet some great people and learn about some great books.

message 3820: by Mark (new)

Mark Dunstan | 6 comments Hey!

message 3821: by Mike (the Paladin) (new)

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 870 comments Hi,welcome.

message 3822: by Text (new)

Text Addict (textaddict) | 29 comments Hi folks! I'm a geographer, historian, and avid reader (in case you hadn't guessed from my handle). Lately I've been reading more mysteries than F&SF, but I hope to find the time and energy soon to seek out more F&SF. (My public library has tons of mysteries, much less F&SF.)

message 3823: by Mark (new)

Mark Dunstan | 6 comments Hello, Text, good to see another person interested in history. Any particular time period?

message 3824: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Hi All!
I am Kathryn, a new fantasy lover who is obsessing with the way a book to take you to a place you have never dreamed of.
I am also looking to make some new friends on here so please feel free to add me as a friend and talk books!

message 3825: by Mike (the Paladin) (new)

message 3826: by Text (new)

Text Addict (textaddict) | 29 comments Markdienekes wrote: "Hello, Text, good to see another person interested in history. Any particular time period?"

Hello, Markdienekes! Academically I'm into American history, but I read pretty widely outside that realm as well. Because everything is interesting. :)

message 3827: by R.S. (new)

R.S. McCoy (rsmccoy) | 3 comments Hello all! Today is my first day on Goodreads and I'm afraid I'm still trying to figure out how all this works. Currently I am reading Siege and Storm and I am in the process of finalizing my own fantasy novel.

My absolute favorite authors are Asimov, Herbert, and Card. If they've written it, I've read it.

message 3828: by Mike (the Paladin) (new)

message 3829: by Alan (new)

Alan Denham (alandenham) | 256 comments RS wrote: " I am in the process of finalizing my own f..."
Hi RS

Noticed you on Goodreads this morning, clicked your picture and followed through the links (as I usually do when I don't recognise someone) and found your blogspot on Ebook marketing . . .

Oh how I agree with every word! Particularly the ones that acknowledge that everybody thinks their own work is wonderful - but sometimes (regrettably often!) they are disastrously wrong. So those of us that really have produced wonderful work (at least, that's my opinion!) get drowned in the dross - and are generally too polite to write appropriate reviews!

So I looked at your list ("Facebook? Check. Blogger? Check (Duh!) Figment? Check. Writer's Beat? Check. Goodreads? Check.") and thought about what I had done . . .

Facebook? No, I have an account under a false name because I wanted to find out how it worked - then I decided I didn't want to put that much information about myself into that sort of environment - so I sometimes check around for old friends, but I am the wrong generation, I very rarely find any!
Blogger? Running a blog could be an awful lot of work. I suppose I might have to one day.
Figment? I hadn't heard of it ... googlegooglegoogle ... Ah! Now I can guess what generation you come from - and also guess you are not English, or I would probably have been aware of Figment before.
Writer's Beat - thanks, I didn't know about them, I need to do some more research.

And add . . Twitter. Another author posted a tweet for me, but so far it has done nothing for sales.
So I am working largely on word of mouth - and not selling much!
I think the problem is simply a matter of making enough people aware of you - but how to do it? The last thing you want to do is become a spammer! No, I'm stuck!

Any further advice on marketing would be much appreciated - but it is a tedious and time consuming business and I don't enjoy it!

I have also found your first chapter and sent comments privately. It wasn't that easy to find - you need to post more links. Now . . . go look at my profile - and follow some links.

Cheers

Alan

message 3830: by Gordon (new)

Gordon  (Gmonie) | 108 comments What's up? I love the discussion lists, I've been sticking to mainly the 'Game of Thrones' groups & 'Kingkiller Chronicles' along with various groups that included authors from Lee Child to Tess Gerittson. BUT... Sci-Fi & Fantasy IS my love so I had to join this group once I saw it obviously. I'm from NYC & live on long Island now with 3 little ones, 2 of the 3 are twin boys. I read & listen to many audio books cuz of the commute... but written is 95% always better IMO, altho there are excellent narrators where I end up reading the text, listening to the audio, & watching the movie, what a great era :)

My favorite Sci-Fi authors are too many to list completely but love: David Weber (Prince Roger & H.H.) esp. in conjunction with John Ringo (Posleen war), Philip Dick (all his stuff is amazing for the time) similar to Heinlein, Richard Morgan (Takeshi Kovacs & Thirteen), Jack Campbell (Lost Fleet) to name just a few Sci-Fi

Fantasy prob. beats out Sci-Fi by a Nanometer, to include some i.e. Brandon Sanderson (Way of Kings, finished 'Steelheart' & impressed he could write a diff. genre so easily & well), Jim Butcher (Dresden), GRRM (GoT), Matthew Stover (Caine Chronicles), Abercombie (1st Law), Lynch (Lies of Locke), among many newer authors... I'm currently reading 'Blood Song' of the Raven's Shadow by Anthony Ryan a GR author & plan to read 'Prince of Thorns' next, another GR author to name some fantasy. I also put Bernard Cornwell someplace between historical fiction & fantasy due to books like 1356 & the 'Grail Quests, Saxon Chronicles.'

Hello All! I hope GRRM finishes up his last couple books or I WILL CHOP OFF HIS MANHOOD & FEED IT TO THE GOATS!

Valar Morghulis

message 3831: by Ralph (new)

Ralph Ambrose (rmambrose) | 15 comments Hello, all!

I was born in Lexington, Ky, but moved to Southern California when I was six. My first real experience with SF was seeing Star Wars when I was 5 (so, I'm in my 40's), and my passion for reading came from reading the Chronicles of Narnia between third and sixth grades. Now I read as much as I can, and I'm also interested in writing.

Ralph

message 3832: by Mike (the Paladin) (new)

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 870 comments Welcome.

message 3833: by Chip (new)

Chip Putnam | 67 comments I'm Chip Putnam and I live in Clemmons, NC. My current age is 42 which makes me the answer to "What is meaning of life, the universe, and everything!" I'm eclectic in my writings but for reading I tend to stick with my first love of sci-fi/fantasy. I figure I live in reality, why bother to read about it. In fantasy, I still hold Tolkien to be the epitome of all fantasy. In science fiction, Asimov reigns supreme.

message 3834: by Mike (the Paladin) (new)

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 870 comments Hi Chip, welcome.

message 3835: by Ralph (new)

Ralph Ambrose (rmambrose) | 15 comments Chip, you've reminded me that I have something satirical to look forward to at my next birthday. Thanks!

message 3836: by David (new)

David | 14 comments Welcome Chip. I'm with you on fantasy as a doorway to other realities.

message 3837: by David (new)

David | 14 comments Hello, Gordon: Saw your mention of Lies of Locke and remembered that I've been waiting to read The Republic of Thieves. I also like Butcher for his Codex Alera series.

message 3838: by Chip (new)

Chip Putnam | 67 comments Ralph wrote: "Chip, you've reminded me that I have something satirical to look forward to at my next birthday. Thanks!"

I've had a lot of fun with it although my kids think I'm weird.

message 3839: by Heimdall (new)

Heimdall Thunderhammer | 1 comments Hi all!

I'm a reader/writer/illustrator/fan of sci-fi and fantasy, particularly books geared towards younger readers. My favorite authors are Brian Jacques, Lloyd Alexander, Rowling, and Tolkien. I was born in Maine and lived here most of my life, except for when I went to college at Emerson in Boston.

I like to discover new authors, but I am a picky reader, I need a book that catches my attention in the first few pages or I'll probably abandon it. I'm a collector of hardcover books, I much prefer the physical version to an electronic one, and find that building a library is almost as much fun as reading it.

message 3840: by Mike (the Paladin) (new)

message 3841: by Electra (new)

Electra Nanou (enanou) | 2 comments Hello everyone! My name is Electra and, as my name may hint, I am from Greece, but I am also half British, which has made my upbringing quite interesting.

I currently live in Northumberland and I am preparing to pursue a career as a fantasy author. Until that happens I am a humble RSPCA shop assistant, enjoying the British culture, to which I was introduced just over a year ago.

I have been an avid fan of fantasy and sci-fi from a young age, and have been honing my writing skills ever since.

message 3842: by Alan (new)

Alan Denham (alandenham) | 256 comments Electra wrote: "I currently live in Northumberland..."

Welcome to the home of civilisation.

(I live just outside Northumberland, and go there when I need to breathe fresh air - profile picture was taken at Howick Gardens)

message 3843: by Mike (the Paladin) (new)

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 870 comments ...did you seriously just welcome a Greek to the home of civilization?????? Intentional irony I assume...right???? :)

Hi Electra, welcome and good luck.

message 3844: by Alan (new)

Alan Denham (alandenham) | 256 comments Mike (the Paladin) wrote: "...did you seriously just welcome a Greek to the home of civilization??"

Greece is rightly called the cradle of civilisation. I regard England as its present home :-)

message 3845: by Mike (the Paladin) (new)

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 870 comments So....it moved west???? Okay. But I live in Nashville, the Athens of the South. :)

message 3846: by Electra (new)

Electra Nanou (enanou) | 2 comments I have to agree that Greece is not its former self, but there are still some Greeks, like me, that try to keep its spirit alive - or bring it back to life, one might say... Thank you ever so much for the warm welcome.

message 3847: by Tess (new)

Tess | 7 comments Hi! My name is Tess. Originally from Illinois, I've been living in Madison, WI for the past 11 years. I've always loved fantasy and science fiction, as well as romance novels, historical fiction, mysteries, and manga. My favorite series and authors change all the time, but ones I've loved forever are Francis Mary Hendry, Anne McCaffrey, David Eddings, and Lloyd Alexander.
In general, I like science fiction short stories better than long novels. I love all sorts of fantasy, but am getting tired of the paranormal genre.
Thanks for all the great discussion topics - it is so much fun to read through!

message 3848: by Mike (the Paladin) (new)

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 870 comments Hi, welcome. I live near Madison TN, think there's some mystic connection????? Probably not, we live in the "mundane" world.

message 3849: by Jordan (last edited Oct 15, 2013 05:53PM) (new)

Jordan MacLean (damerien) | 72 comments I am Jordan MacLean of the Clan MacLean. I was born in 1518 in the village of Glenfinnan on the shores of Loch Shiel. And I am immortal.

Or, I was born on the 3rd day of the month of August, in an early year of a decade not too long before our own...

I live in a "historical house" (which means it needs LOTS of restoration) in North Carolina with my partner, Mike, and my cats, Attila, Dregs, Julius, Antigone, Abigail and Mercutio, though I am NOT a crazy cat lady, being several cats shy of an actual hoard/horde.

I've been a symphony cellist and an aikido student and instructor. I've also been a software engineer and engineering supervisor, and I've been a stay-at-home homeschooling mom. I've acted, directed and written for stage, and I've produced a film that reached international distribution (under my real name).

My son is now in the US Army, stationed in Germany. My partner serves with the 82nd airborne at Fort Bragg.

I am an epic fantasy author in the tradition of Frank Herbert and I suppose George R R Martin, and J R R Tolkien, (having entertained and discarded the idea of being Jordan R R MacLean to continue the tradition) and if you are interested in my books, please check out my page at www.jordanmaclean.com . I will post more info about my books in the Authors forum as well.

Nice you meet you folks!

message 3850: by Mike (the Paladin) (new)

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 870 comments Hi, welcome...and I choose to believe you're immortal. It's cooler.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.