You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Closed Discussion Topic > The Library

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Megan (new)

Megan Lyons | 4 comments I went to the library yesterday and said I would only get out 5 books, then I decided to change my limit to ten. I ended up getting about 15 books. Does anyone else have this problem? I can't go to the library without leaving with 20 books!

message 2: by Mads (new)

Mads I don't go to the library much anymore (it's out of the way, they keep changing rules on us because we're not living in that city...too much hassle!) but when I do I end up getting more books than I can read in the three-week limit. Even if I renew them, I wouldn't be able to finish them all before I would have to return them.

The last time I checked out books for leisure, I got a couple of heavy classic literature (Frankenstein, The Diary of Anne Frank, All Quiet on the Western Front, The Great Gatsby...) and I'm not sure I finished any of them.

But yes. I completely understand!

message 3: by Molly (new)

Molly | 270 comments I only take away what I know I can finish. I'm not that fast of a reader and I get irritated when the books I want to read aren't available so I always feel guilty extending a book or not returning on time. I do understand the desire to just pile them up in my arms though - I do that whenever I go home for a visit and go through my parents' shelves - I always end up lugging home a bag of borrowed books!

message 4: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Butland (httpwwwgoodreadscomprofiles_b) I rejoined the library last year when I totted up how much I was spending on books (gulp) and I'm so glad I did - I've ended up reading different things (Agatha Christie, John Le Carre, as well as re-reading books I'd not thought about in years.
I noticed last time I was at the library that I could volunteer to go in and select books for people who are housebound. I think I might sign up - it seems like a fairly easy thing to do to help out people who (horror of horrors) may not have access to books otherwise.

message 5: by Jenny, Group Creator - Honorary Moderator (new)

Jenny (notestothemoon) | 846 comments I'm one of those people that tends to pile them up. Shame on me. They are all going back today and I wont do it again. I will just take those that I can read in the 3 weeks. I know what you mean Molly, I can never get the books I actually want so I shouldn't do the same!

message 6: by Sandra (last edited Jan 24, 2009 04:45AM) (new)

Sandra (wildbanshee) | 10 comments Almost all of my books come from the library because as much as I read, I couldn't afford to buy them, also my library sells some books for a $1.00 a piece.
I usually have to renew the books and they are pretty nice about that. Plan on going today now that I think about it. Sometime I like to go there to just read because it is real quiet, they have a room blocked off for just that purpose.

message 7: by Molly (new)

Molly | 270 comments I am very lucky in that our town actually has 2 libraries. The main branch is big and bright and has all sorts of amenities and was recently updated and renovated. There is always something going on there and they have a large collection.

I just went into the smaller branch for the first time recently. It is in an old historic building that has the lovely smell of old worn books and the shelves are high and packed into small spaces so you feel like you are wandering through someone's home collection. The librarian was very sweet - although I was a little concerned when I told her I was looking for Anna Karenina and she asked me who wrote it!

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

I admit I tend to pile books. I seem to have this irrational fear that I will be trapped in my house, due to blizzard, floods,.. or other natural disaster, and I won't have anything to read. I am trying not to be such a book piler and just get what I can actually read.

message 9: by Cal (last edited Mar 02, 2009 04:30AM) (new)

Cal Desmond-Pearson (the-social-hermit) | 4 comments Here in Newcastle-upon-Tyne we have a brilliant library The Literary & Philosophical Society (Lit & Phil) - Just follow the link - It is the largest independent library outside London, housing over 150,000 books. A wide selection of current fiction and non-fiction can be found alongside historical collections covering every field of interest.

The Grade II* listed building was opened in 1825 and the magnificent reading rooms remain largely unchanged. The collection is coupled with an extensive set of periodicals, providing an exceptional resource for both general reader and academic researcher. It also holds a large Music libray - CDs, vinyl, 78s, music score, books etc.

In addition to the library, the Society hosts a wide range of events including book launches, concerts, lectures, readings and workshops that cover a variety of topics and issues. Both members and non-members are welcome to attend these events, which are mostly free.
Just follow the link

message 10: by Marc (new)

Marc | 7 comments Our library has a limit of 10 ten books,but the most I've taken out in one visit is 5. I must admit even when returning books,and not intending to go through to the library itself I end up having a quick look,and often come away with 1 or 2!

message 11: by Victoria (new)

Victoria The library near me isn't that great at all, so I tend not to use it. The whole of the ground floor is taken up with a big childrens area (some books and some play area), DVD's and CD's. The first floor is mostly computers, with a small fiction section and the a slightly larger non-fiction section. There is no quiet area and it can get very noisy in there - ok if you are choosing a book but no good if you wanted to read in there. It's a shame because I would love to live near a fantastic library! I end up getting all my books from charity shops - you can't look for specific books but they are cheap at £1 or £2.

message 12: by Cyd (new)

Cyd | 20 comments I love my library! I always walk out of there w/ too many books, its kind of a work out to get them to the car. I was just there today, because of Goodreads, I ordered lots of books by my some of my favorite authors I had not read yet. I guess I got carried away, on the hold shelves was one paper wrapped book telling me to go to the circulation desk, imagine my surprise when the librarian brought me 20 books!

message 13: by Victoria (new)

Victoria The more books you take out the better for the library. I think their funding is based on number of issues. I always take out loads of books but now they have an automated email system that tells you a few days before your books are due. I always have to take an even number out. Weird I know.

message 14: by Sharon (new)

Sharon I don't go to our library. It's not very big but also I have found if I take books out the library I feel pressured to read them in a certain amount of time and then I don't enjoy them. I also like the newness of new books. I have the added advantage of having three daughters, two of whom are teens and they read a lot of the things I read. Also have friends who I swap with

message 15: by Kim (new)

Kim I popped into our local library yesterday- but unfortunately my card had expired so I need to go back with some id. I also thought about how much I would spend if I wanted to get some of the books and decided that I would be better trying to reserve them from a library. I do have enough books on the bookshelf for my husband to have thought it was a really bad idea though!

message 16: by Beth (new)

Beth Diiorio (beth_diiorio) I LOVE MY LIBRARY! It not only has a great selection of books, DVD's, and periodicals, but it is part of a library network, made up approximately of 16 towns, who share the job of fulfilling book requests. I feel so very fortunate...I have not had to purchase a book in a long time! :-)

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

I use my local library to read books that seem interesting. Sometimes, I pick up a book, read the blurb and get drawn in only to get bored with it part through. Doing this with a library book is a lot cheaper. Also, I feel happier browsing for unknown authors/ books in libraries rather than bookshops; I don't know why though.

message 18: by Yorky (last edited Aug 23, 2009 01:44PM) (new)

Yorky Caz (yorkycaz) I loved going to my library as a kid so much so that I once got accidentially locked in as I was sat on the floor so totally into the book I was reading that I never heard them shutting up! I managed to find a list of phone numbers on the wall and had to ring them all until someone answered then I had to tell them I was locked in the library! It was months before my family stopped laughing at me for that one!

You'll love this one...!! A book club & more

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Anna Karenina (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Agatha Christie (other topics)
John le Carré (other topics)