Paranormal & Urban Fantasy, Monthly Group Reads discussion

MGR [archived] > Feb.2009 book info/discussion thread

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Unapologetic_Bookaholic, Co-Lead (new)

Unapologetic_Bookaholic | 902 comments Mod
Suggestion for Feb book(s). I will poll the sugg. and post the results. The sooner the better.

I would like to have the results posted a couple days before Feb.1. So that everyone has a chance to get the book.

The set-up will be by chapter for those of us wanting to read together and a spoiler thread for anyone wanting to read straight through and discuss the book.

If someone knows something I don't (like where the Feb. mini reads are already posted, lol) please let me know =).

message 2: by Unapologetic_Bookaholic, Co-Lead (new)

I found the poll Tricia is doing. So whenever it closes she will post the info in this thread, right Trish?

message 3: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (new)

♥Tricia♥ (Siddie) | 1167 comments Mod
Righto, well or you can :) Whichever one gets to it first lol.

And no the reads havent been posted yet hehe I was waiting on the poll to close :)

message 4: by Unapologetic_Bookaholic, Co-Lead (new)

I can take it from there then. When the poll closes I'll start the reading threads =)

message 5: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (new)

Cool beans :D Thanks Kenjii!

message 6: by Unapologetic_Bookaholic, Co-Lead (new)

Poll closing JAN 22nd 2009 so cast your vote for FEB. MGR (mini group read).

There is a tie between Pleasure Unbound and A Miss of Midnight with 7 votes each.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

will we know today what the book will be so i can go buy it if i need to tomorrow. i am visiting the bookstore tomorrow.

message 8: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (new)

Yes sorry I had to extend it because we had a tie:)

The winner for the mini-group read is:

[image error]
Pleasure Unbound
Larissa Ione

message 9: by new_user (new)

new_user Oh, cool, I'll be interested to see what you guys think of this one. I really liked it. :)

message 10: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (new)

Ya I have been hearing wonderful things about this one :)

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (DarkHeart) | 168 comments Awesome. I ordered it with some vouchers I got for Christmas, but the box seemed to have gotten lost in the postal black hole - until yesterday when it finally arrived. I've heard really good things about this book and am definitely looking forward to reading it!

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

:) cool. i will go and see if the book store has it. :)

Nichole (DirrtyH) (dirtyh) My copy is also in the mail... I'm glad we chose this one!

message 14: by Unapologetic_Bookaholic, Co-Lead (new)

How many chapters are there so I can post the threads? Thanks! I don't have this one.

message 15: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (new)

Hmm one sec lemme see

message 16: by Unapologetic_Bookaholic, Co-Lead (new)

Thanks Trish!

message 17: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (new)

There are 27

1-6
7-13
14-21
22-end

That seems to split them up quite equally from what I can tell.

message 18: by June (last edited Jan 23, 2009 05:20PM) (new)

June (junepot) | 7 comments I agree with New User, it was a really good read, and I immediately liked the characters!!

message 19: by Unapologetic_Bookaholic, Co-Lead (new)

TYVM Trish I will make the threads for discussion =)

message 20: by Unapologetic_Bookaholic, Co-Lead (new)

notice the threads run from LAST to FIRST week in discussion (I will type them up in reverse next time so they post first to last).

Enjoy MGR: PLEASURE UNBOUND beginning FEB.1. 2009.

message 21: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (new)

Ok so in another group it was suggested that the MGR be a book that is a stand alone. I am wondering what you all feel about this as it might make it easier to not only separate the list but also on everyone's reading, so that we don't have to worry about if someone is caught up in a series or not.

Thoughts?

message 22: by Unapologetic_Bookaholic, Co-Lead (new)

We can put ALL series in the mandatory catagory of MGR. Stan alones in the BOM catagory.

The BOM as a stand would be better. That way the themes/author could change monthly. If you prefer a series BOM, then join in with the MGR, see? I think that works out well. We can have the best of both. I don't think we'd need two lists as we would know which is which based on the title. Let me know if this idea works.

message 23: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (new)

Hmm that would work but we already started a series for both didnt we? hehe

message 24: by Unapologetic_Bookaholic, Co-Lead (new)

yeah. this could be considered for future ref. we could delagate the BOM of FEB to MGR status in MARCH and have 2 series going. poll and see if we WANT to read the 2 series simultaneously in MARCH. put a SA in place of the BOM for March.

message 25: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (last edited Jan 24, 2009 11:49AM) (new)

I dont think people want to be stuck to reading a series tho for any monthly reads. It would be really sucky to read a series where you could only read 1 book per month in that series lol.

I just figure we would poll from the suggested books and see what the outcome is. We start with firsts in a series and from then on we can add the following books once the group has read them.
Though I dont think waiting a month for the next boko in a series will be doable.. some of us can read a book in a day or two hehe.

Thats not to say if the second J.R. Ward book is chosen that I wont honor that, of course the group will stick with what the members wish to read :)
That said, people need to suggest more books for our reading list that we can poll from before we run out! lol :P

That make sense?

message 26: by Unapologetic_Bookaholic, Co-Lead (new)

Tricia: Was that you that mentioned that you could read a series in a month? I had said that if as a group (say, in the first week) we finish the book we could decide to read another one or wait til next month. it is as simple as a vote. so yes a series can be done in a month for us speed readers. but it's up to everyone, to be fair, that is doing the MGR right?

Yes. That makes sense. I think of everyone brings 2 books a month to the suggestion list it'll fill up pretty quick! hehe

message 27: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (new)

Depends on how big the series is hehe I probably read the Anita Blake series in a little over a month.

I know of ladies who are interested in reading say the J.R. Ward series but can only do 1 book a month, as where others can do way more then 1 per month.

We have a wide array of readers so I think we should just see how it goes from month to month and just keep with the voting :)

I figure if others want more to read each month as group reads they can always check out Steph or Jess's groups as well :)

Thats what I did! lol And now I have like 6 to read in group reading for Feb alone :)

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

ya i think the 2 a month book read is fine with being 4 groups it will keep us busy..

message 29: by Unapologetic_Bookaholic, Co-Lead (new)

Yeah. With the votes and the BOM and MGR suggestions. I think we can keep things running smoothly. Like u say. We have several groups and challenges going. So even though we CAN read more than one book in a series per month, it would probably work out best to stick to 1 book. And vote on the rest. YAY! Trish I think we got it =D

message 30: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (new)

=D Ya I just got all of my books in and realized just how many I will be reading this month!

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

i know the feeling... :D

message 32: by Unapologetic_Bookaholic, Co-Lead (new)

I incorporated my challenges from other groups with my BOM reading. so hopefully I can do that ALL the time, hehe. less time on GR that's for sure guys..../=D

message 33: by Unapologetic_Bookaholic, Co-Lead (new)

A comment was made, but I didn't want to clutter the mini-read with my thoughts on this, lol

Can we vote that March's Mini read will be Desire Unchained? I don't know the exact date though if it's not within the first week, should we not consider it?

message 34: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (new)

Well you are in charge of the side/mini-read so you can do it how you want :)

message 35: by Unapologetic_Bookaholic, Co-Lead (new)

We'll see how it goes. I need a date =)

message 36: by Unapologetic_Bookaholic, Co-Lead (last edited Feb 05, 2009 10:15AM) (new)

I am not sure how the threads got so out of order. I know you can sticky the threads to make them #1 but when you do that it kicks week 1 down to the bottom. So anyway, I just hope that everyone is paying attn to the thread titles and posting accordingly. Next month I hope to have the threads done better.

message 37: by Unapologetic_Bookaholic, Co-Lead (new)

If anyone knows the release date for Demonica book 2. Please post here. Thanks. On Larissa Ione's site it shows the month but no date.

message 38: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (dawnv) On Amazon Desire Unchained: A Demonica Novel will be released on 24 Feb and then the third one Passion Unleashed will be released 30 March.

I do love it when you get a book every few months instead of once a year!

message 39: by Unapologetic_Bookaholic, Co-Lead (new)

TYVM Dawn. I will have to break my book diet but I want to continue the Mini Read with the Demonica series. As tight as I want to be about book buying, once a year would never work!

message 40: by Heather (new)

Heather (ClownG33K) | 13 comments Ok I am confused by the terminology. I got BOM but MGR, what is that? I am slow today so please forgive me. I am late in the reading of the BOM. And there's also a mini-read as a BOM? HELP me!

Nichole (DirrtyH) (dirtyh) MGR is mini-group read. THe mini group read just means it's not the main group read, it's optional. But of course, they're all optional, so it's really just like we have more than one group read per month and you can choose which ones you want to read.

message 42: by Heather (new)

Heather (ClownG33K) | 13 comments Oh ok I get it now! The blond is really showing through today! LOL

message 43: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (new)

Hehe

Ya, I had tried to stop using the abbrevs because I didnt want to confuse people :)

With the merge of another group into this one next month (yay! Excited!) we will actually have a total of 4 monthly reads for this group :)

So those that read fast can have more books to discuss :D
And even if you dont you can always just pick and choose which areas you want to participate in :)

message 44: by Heather (new)

Heather (ClownG33K) | 13 comments Really? That's awesome! Have the books for March been discussed yet????

message 45: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (last edited Feb 09, 2009 10:47AM) (new)

Not yet, what I know so far is:

- We are adding a series read to the group, this is being brought over from the merging group. I am super excited about this and reading a series with the group :D Shanon and Stephanie will be moderating this one.

- We are keeping the main book of the month read as randomly polled.

- We are keeping the mini-read, Kenjii moderates this one.

Now keep in mind ALL books that are not a part of a series will be polled from our collective book suggestions.. so any book you can think of that you want to read as a group read feel free to suggest it here:

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/9...

message 46: by Unapologetic_Bookaholic, Co-Lead (new)

I want to read ahead but I am reading FOUR BOM books, lol. So I have to read my weekly chapters then decide which book I'l like to continue reading.

The poll is showing we, in the MGR, would like to continue the Demonica series. Should something happen and the book is not released FEB. 24th. I will chose an alternate (there will only be 4 days to vote, between FEB. 24-28). There are a few days left to vote =)