The Next Best Book Club discussion

Revive a Dead Thread > GoodReads

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angela (new)

Angela | 1934 comments I have always been a quick reader, but lately I am finding myself rushing to get through a book so that I can move on to the next on my list. Part of this has to do with the Winter Challenge, but another is because there are so many good books I want to read. I am trying to slow down so that I can savor my books, but it is very hard!

message 2: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments The winter challenge does make me go more and faster from one book immediately into another one but that is because many books I chose because of a word in the title. They aren't bad books but 3/4 are jsut normal books.

Fiona, I had the same problem when I was four to five months home in Belgium last year. I knew I was leaving after those months and had more than hundred unread books in my room. I knew that I wouldn't be able to take them with me, so I wanted to read as many as possible! I started a book but was already with my head thinking about the next one on the pile and the fifth, sixth, tenth.....

Since Tnbbc I am also going more ( already did a bitbut more narrowly) in bookshops or libraries and have a lsit written or in my head of books I nead to read...because of GR. In te past I would go in, look around, pick up, put down and in the end go outside with whatever caught my eye. Now I have a mission.

But it doesn't make me enjoy less books and reading. It is just more an active and less lonely activity.

message 3: by Kandice (last edited Jan 19, 2009 10:39AM) (new)

Kandice I have noticed that I try too hard to read the book that is being dicussed that month in whatever group because I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE being able to discuss it with other people. The problem is, that they are often not books I would choose to read on my own, so I drag through them. I am generally a quick reader, but not when I am not enjoying the book. I read a page or two and then jump up to do some chore I would normally let sit.

I think because GR is so novel to me, that I will get over this. I also need to get over my fear of starting a thread, so I can choose a book I WANT to read, and then just throw it out there. Chances are SOMEONE else will read it and discuss it with me.

I am struggling through Strange and Norrell right now for that very reason. I really don't like the book and need to give up. Part of my reluctance to do so, is that I bought the book so I could contribute to discussion. To stop would not only be an admission of failure, but a waste of money! Money I could have spent on books I WANTED to read!

Quite the dilemma!

message 4: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments Fiona, now that I am not going back I am going to save for my sister to come on holiday here....and ask her to bring some books with her for me.
aybe one day I will be so crazy and ask to send some over. The problem of having my books there is that I don't want to buy or borrow from the library the ones I know I have home. For instance memoirs of a Geisha is home and really want to read it....

message 5: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments By the way Fiona, Over hundred unread books plus a big amount of unread Agatha Christie books...bringing to Italy isn't that simple...

message 6: by Angela (new)

Angela | 1934 comments I only read the book being discussed if I am interested in it... most times I am not. I do plan on reading the Guernesy (sp) book, but not this month.

message 7: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Jeane, Fiona is right. That book is a must read! The movie was beautiful, but the kimono I imagined while reading it could never been shone on film. Breathtaking! I LOVE books that make you use your imagination for visuals to really "get" them. (the hairstyles in my mind were pretty awesome as well!)

message 8: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I will need to build a bit of confidence Ms. Fiona. Perhaps after lunch. I am going out with a girlfriend I can always count on for a pep talk!
(thank you!!!!)

message 9: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments Fiona wrote: "Jeane wrote: "Fiona, now that I am not going back I am going to save for my sister to come on holiday here....and ask her to bring some books with her for me.
aybe one day I will be so crazy and a..."

Don't manage...hehe. Luckily there are more books out there than I ever will be able to read, so lots of choice.

message 10: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments Fiona wrote: "Jeane wrote: "By the way Fiona, Over hundred unread books plus a big amount of unread Agatha Christie books...bringing to Italy isn't that simple..."

Maybe you should start a book-moving savings a..."

I wouldn't make a saving account for it but I have been thinking about many ways to get them here or in Italy!!!! :-))) And I know I will do it some way. I also thought that if the shipping of my books cost in the end more than a trip Belgium-Ireland and back...I might as well invite my sister over and pay her ticket. that way I have some of my books and I have my sister on holiday!

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) Reading is kind of a lose/lose with me in this regard, becuase I am a very fast reader.

Either I rush through it because I LOVE it and can't wait to find out what happens (or move on to the next book in the series), or I rush through it because its just 'okay' but I'm anxious to move on to something else.

I also have a lot of problems picking out a book from my TBR pile once I finish something...I feel actual pressure to pick what looks the best...instead of just grabbing something that I've obviously already picked out anyway, as I own it.

*sigh* luckly I'm into the Outlander series for a bit, that will keep me occupied for the time being.

message 12: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments Kandice wrote: "Jeane, Fiona is right. That book is a must read! The movie was beautiful, but the kimono I imagined while reading it could never been shone on film. Breathtaking! I LOVE books that make you use you..."

Kandice the reason I bought the book was that I adored the movie. I never had expected it would be so good!

message 13: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments Kandice, i put The Strange book up on my next reading list because of the winter challenge and because i am very curious about it. So after I finsih Moby Dick (this week!!!!!!), I am gonna take that one to work.

message 14: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I LOVED Moby Dick. I admit, I only read it once when I was much younger, and it was abit of a struggle, but still... I really enjoyed it! That's another classic the Illustrated Classics for children got me to actually read. I hope you are enjoying it. Don't you love the name Quequeg? Did I spell it right. It HAS been a long time!!!

message 15: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments Kandice wrote: "I LOVED Moby Dick. I admit, I only read it once when I was much younger, and it was abit of a struggle, but still... I really enjoyed it! That's another classic the Illustrated Classics for childre..."

??????????????????????? Kandice, I think it says enough: thirth attempt, first one about four years ago.... only moving on because it is the only think I bring with me for my too long lunch every time..... This version has over 500 pages and the first page I found interesing was around 438....

message 16: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Oh! Well... I did admit to it being a struggle! Maybe I was just impressed with myself that I did it. Most of the classics that I went on to read after being exposed to them by kids books I enjoyed. I know everyone knows the gist of Moby Dick, but maybe because I knew what the hightlights were, I had something to look forward to between all those long descriptions. If you really hate it... Quit! I wouldn't have said that a few years ago, but as my TBR and nightstand pile grows larger, I think that may be a philosophy I adopt. "I will not waste my precious reading time on drivel... I will not waste my precious reading time on drivel..."

message 17: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (sbez05) | 556 comments Kandice wrote: "I have noticed that I try too hard to read the book that is being dicussed that month in whatever group because I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE being able to discuss it with other people. The problem is, that t..."

You can always swap it away on a book swapping site, since you know it's not a book you enjoy and won't read again. You'll have to pay the postage, but then you can use the credit to get a book you do want in return. :) I love PBS and bookmooch - I only swap ones I know I'll never pick up again.

message 18: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) I have the same problem Fiona. I feel like I'm drowning in pages and pages of books. I'm an average reader and before GR I probably read 3 books or more a month. Since I've joined there are so many wonderful recommendations that I feel like I have to read more to keep up. This year I'm doing the 75 book challenge, so now I find myself reading more than usual. Before I just use to read before bedtime, now I actually shut off the TV and read a book. I don't mind though because with the rubbish that's on TV I don't feel like I'm missing much. I just wish that I wasn't taking classes, which seems to be getting in the way of my reading time.

message 19: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Stephanie wrote: "Kandice wrote: "I have noticed that I try too hard to read the book that is being dicussed that month in whatever group because I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE being able to discuss it with other people. The pr..."

That's another thing I never would have knownabout before GR. I haven't looked into it, but probably should. Thanks:)

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) Fiona, I know what you mean about bookmooch. I LOVE it, and I send books all the time...but it seems like I go several days without a request...then BANG! 5 at once.

I don't send books overseas, because I want to be able to send as many as possible, so I just limit to the US...I just feel bad that I'm "limiting access" to free books...but maybe someday I will have money! haha.

message 21: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Postage on books can get steep! We have media mail in America, which I think is restriced to about $3.50, but since I buy the vast majority of my books used, it still may be more than I would normally spend. I'll buy a new book if I really want it, but there is always a bit of guilt involved. I will check out the site for books I really can't find used. Postage has to be less than new!

message 22: by Vicki (new)

Vicki I agree. I recently am feeling overwhelmed with library books. I took five out during the winter break only to read books I had at home. Now I want to read them, but I also want to get to my own overflowing book shelf. I have books in every corner I could have them. Everytime I see something that looks good here, I seem to have to have it. I have decided after I finish the Stolen Child, the rest of the books are going back to the library unfinished, and I need to work on what I have here. Of course, until the next group read comes up and the cycle starts over again.

I think the problem is, since I left college, I lost that outlet to discuss books, and this group offers that, so I want to read and be a part of it.

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) Let us know if you get an account Fiona, maybe I'll make an overseas acception for you :-)

message 24: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments Kandice wrote: "Oh! Well... I did admit to it being a struggle! Maybe I was just impressed with myself that I did it. Most of the classics that I went on to read after being exposed to them by kids books I enjoyed..."

I can practically never quit a book. since I started reading I think I did it twice.
It also doesn't help that it is about killing or chasing whales! But I am going to finsih it. This week even!!!

message 25: by Melody (new)

Melody | 564 comments I understand exactly what you are saying Fiona.

I used to wander along library shelves taking ages to pick a book to read not really knowing even what I wanted to read next. Now I have a TBR that is so long I feel pressured to shorten it. I think that doing the Fall and Winter challenges has also meant that I am rushing through books just to get them read and also I am choosing books that I maybe don't even want to read because they fit a point score.

I'm not knocking the challenges, they are great fun and a good way to read more books but I am thinking of skipping the next one so I can look at my TBR and read and take my time and savour what I really want to read next.

message 26: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10024 comments Mod
I joined this webiste back in Aug or Sept of 07, I think (too lazy to check) and created this group shortly thereafter.... I never used to pay attn to how many books I read, never kept a log of what I own, or have to read...

I used to only have three unread books at a time. I would buy them, then read them all before I went back to the bookstore. After I joined this site tho, I started adding books to my TBR shelf like wildfire and then I started buying more and more books each time I went out....

Now I am addicted to library sales, have almost 100 unread books here, set yearly challenges, keep track of all the books I read, and sometimes do the reading challenges for fun....

But I spend so much time on here that my actual reading time is being impacted. Its a crazy sick cycle but I wouldnt trade it for the world!

message 27: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments Heather wrote: "Fiona - I'm so glad that you started this topic as this is exactly where I'm at right now! SO many books and not nearly enough time...I even start pondering my next read while I'm reading my curren..."

Heather, Mist of Avalon is on my first made tbr list that I started about 5-6 years ago...and I still didn't read it. But lately i have been checking if they have it in the library, so maybe this year....

message 28: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments Melody wrote: "I understand exactly what you are saying Fiona.

I used to wander along library shelves taking ages to pick a book to read not really knowing even what I wanted to read next. Now I have a TBR tha..."

Melody, in the past i also would just wander along the library or bookshop shelves and pick up what caught my eyes.... hehe, I still do but after I took the ones catching my eyes thanks to TNBBC. So in the end it made me take more books from the library or shops than before!

message 29: by Katie (new)

Katie Lori - That very thought has been cracking me up lately. I'm spending more and more time on GR which is taking away from my usual reading time - which I come on here to discuss. And now that I've started classes again my reading-for-pleasure time is going to take a serious blow. Not to mention all of my favorite TV shows that have started up again(Battlestar Galactica, Lost, and Psych)which take away even more time.

I'm trying not to stress myself out about reading books. My TBR list keeps growing but right now my main focus HAS to be school work. Maybe I'll stress about it during the summer when my time is completely my own. I'm young...I'll get to them all eventually haha

message 30: by Linda (last edited Jan 20, 2009 12:14PM) (new)

Linda | 887 comments The problem is twofold:

1) There are waaaaaaaaay too many people making waaaaay too many great suggestions for reads and since we are all OCD here, that makes it tough; and
2) Who has time to read since we are all too busy out shopping for books? Now I ask you all, are we not ready for the farm?

message 31: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Angela wrote: "I have always been a quick reader, but lately I am finding myself rushing to get through a book so that I can move on to the next on my list. Part of this has to do with the Winter Challenge, but a..."

For the most part, I've been having the same problem. I've been stressing out a bit, though, because I haven't had much time to read lately since I just started a new job. I've been sick a lot this winter, too, which has hindered my reading progress.

My intentions for the Winter Challenge (as well as a couple of other challenges) were good, but I'm really lagging behind now. It bugs me that I won't come close to my goal, but I guess I can only accomplish what I can find the time for, so I'd better stop worrying about it. As others have mentioned, it can be difficult to choose what to read when your TBR list is long, but I've found the Winter Challenge helps make some of those decisions - if only I could find the time to read the books I'd planned to read. I'm sure it would help, though, if I spent a bit less time on GR!

message 32: by Meghanly (new)

Meghanly | 218 comments Fiona wrote: "It's like drowning. Drowning in pages and pages and pages of books and words and stories."

What a wonderful way to go... though I have the same problem - I think it's a great problem to have!

message 33: by Emma (new)

Emma  Blue (litlover) | 2389 comments I feel the exact same way Fiona.

I'm going to read TGDT again, and I'm excited to just get lost in the story, no timelines.

message 34: by Esther (new)

Esther (eshchory) | 572 comments I sometimes find I'm drowning in To DO Lists, my TBR being just one of many.

I do spend too much time in GR but if I 'cold turkey' I feel out of touch.

I'm good with a deadline so I get into challenges then if I spend an afternoon reading I have a sense of achievement rather than guilt at not doing the laundry!

message 35: by Joanna (new)

Joanna Compton-Mys (coldsnap) | 101 comments I came in too late to do the Winter Challenge, but I am hoping that there will be a spring challenge! (Then again I may also have just not found the link to challenges as I'm still digging through old stuff!)

message 36: by Jamie (last edited Feb 21, 2009 11:16AM) (new)

Jamie The tasks for the Spring Challenge are coming out tomorrow, Joanna! You can find the challenges in the fun and games section.

message 37: by Joanna (new)

Joanna Compton-Mys (coldsnap) | 101 comments Cool Jamie, I look forward to it! Thanks!

message 38: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) IT is terrific Fiona. Read the first page, and you'll be sucked in (if I remember right).

message 39: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) I love Maine. I would move there if I could. It is beautiful, and yes, on the coast. Parts of it are wild and undeveloped, while other parts can be congested and traffic-y, but all in all I find the people to be friendly and the scenery beautiful.

I PM'd you about the accent.

yeah I was browsing it on AMazon, looks like it takes longer than I remember to really get going. Hmmm.. but you'll like it.

message 40: by Robin (new)

Robin (robinsullivan) | 997 comments So I'm definitely reading more books since joining TNBBC as everyday I hear of something new I want to read. I feel "pressured" to get to all of them because they all sound so good - but I will say I'm enjoying each one completly. I think I'm just spending more time reading but I don't "rush" through a book I want to enjoy it.

message 41: by Liesl (new)

Liesl (lieslm) | 170 comments Fiona - IT is one of my all-time favorite books. It scared the crap out of me and I just couldn't stop reading it. I think you'll really like it.