Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Policies & Practices > Combining cookbook editions

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Erin (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:24AM) (new)

Erin | 8 comments Given the explanations that have been given for combining language editions, I'm assuming that it's all right to combine US cookbook editions with editions of the same cookbook from pretty much anywhere else in the world, though they'll have different measurements, cooking times, and sometimes different ingredients. After all, Mastering the Art of French Cooking, or How to Cook Everything are fundamentally the same no matter what the measurements, and I (as a reader) probably just want to know who else is into Julia Child or Mark Bittman, right?

Does anyone feel differently about this?

message 2: by Sere (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:24AM) (new)

Sere | 4 comments I agree with you. Sorta. I'd be fine with combining the same cookbook written in different languages as one as long as the kind of measurements and oven temperatures used within the book are clearly stated somewhere in the description or in the review. I mean, if you're reviewing the US edition of a particular cookbook which also has an UK version, I'd write that that particular cookbook does use the US measurement system.

I, being somewhat slow when it comes to US measurements -you have no idea how many cakes I burnt or totally ruined because I didn't get the conversions right- and also being often distracted, would appreciate finding that bit of info rather than, you know, mistakenly purchase an edition that may just not be for me. Yes, maybe writing all that is a bit redundant, but better be safe than sorry, right?

message 3: by Erin (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:24AM) (new)

Erin | 8 comments I think that adding a notation is a great way to handle the issue. And I hear you about conversions; I have cookbooks that were purchased in Europe, and I've just hand-written all of the conversions in the margins so I don't have to do it every time I want to cook something out of that book.