BOOKS THAT INSPIRE discussion

Introductions please..

Comments Showing 1-50 of 60 (60 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Bonita (new)

Bonita Rose | 1 comments HI all,
I am Bonita Rose and have so far, published 2 photography books on blurb.com

If you love photography, you'll love these--very colorful and inspirational!

I am currently writing my first memoir.. 55k words and counting.. I reside in Fargo ND

bonnierose

message 2: by Philip, Group Founder (new)

Philip | 25 comments Mod
Hi, my name is Philip Harris and I started this group. Welcome Bonita and others who have joined so quickly. I am an author of 9+ books, a publisher at ALL THINGS THAT MATTER PRESS, a blogger and nationally syndicated writer. I started the group after scanning existing groups and did not find any that really focused upon books that change our lives towards the better. Hopefully, readers will see this as a group where they can find such books in one place. I also hope that readers will also post books that inspired them and altered their lives. I did not even think of photos so thank you for the add of this genre.

message 3: by Roy (new)

Roy (mplwdscribe) | 1 comments Greeting Good Readers. My name is Roy Pickering and I was born on the idyllic island of St. Thomas. Currently I reside in a quaint New Jersey town with my wife and daughter. I am thrilled to announce that my debut novel Patches of Grey has just been published and is available for purchase at Amazon.com. Among my previously published works is Feeding the Squirrels, a novella that SynergEbooks produces as an ebook. I maintain a website [roypickering.net:] to showcase some of my short stories online, post editorial style pieces to the blog "A Line A Day", and I am one of the most widely read authors on TextOnPhone. Currently I am hard at work on a second novel plus a series of children's books that my talented wife (who designed the covers of both Patches of Grey and Feeding the Squirrels) is illustrating. Anthologies featuring my writing include Proverbs for the People (Kensington Books), Role Call (Third World Press), The Game: Short Stories About the Life (Triple Crown Publications), and Prose to be Read Aloud, Volume One.

message 4: by Robert (new)

Robert | 1 comments Hello Everyone. My name is Bob Morris and I am an independent management consultant (since 1986), based in Dallas. I also review mostly business books for the US, UK, and Canadian Web sites of both Amazon and Borders.

The category "Books That Inspire" evokes (inspires?) all manner of reactions. I plan to give serious thought to how I would complete a sentence that begins "Books inspire me to...." First, I will attempt to decide "what," then identify "which" books inspire me to do "what." Eventually, I will share the results of a process I call "mulling."

Meanwhile, best wishes and warmest regards.

message 5: by Philip, Group Founder (new)

Philip | 25 comments Mod
Welcome Roy and Bob. Bob, your condiment is worthy of a discussion topic-I will post it as such.

message 6: by Magdalena (new)

Magdalena (magdalenaball) | 2 comments Hi everyone and thanks Phil for the invite. I'm the author of Sleep Before Evening, an affirmative coming of age story about the power of art. Here's a synopsis: "Marianne is teetering at the edge of reason. A death in the family sends her brilliant academic career and promising future spiraling out of control until resentment towards those who shaped her past leads her on a wild and desperate search for the truth about herself. On the seedy side of New York, she meets Miles, a hip musician busking the streets and playing low-rent venues in a muddled bid to make his own dreams come true. In her new life, she finds anarchic squalor, home grown music and poetry, booze, drugs, sex, violence, love, loss … and, above all, exhilarating freedom on her troubled journey from sleep to awakening." All to best to everyone with their book promotions! Maggie

message 7: by Philip, Group Founder (new)

Philip | 25 comments Mod
Welcome Magdalena. Your book sounds great!

message 8: by Philip, Group Founder (new)

Philip | 25 comments Mod
Hi Debra and welcome-I think you may find some interest on the part of authors here for your reviews! Glad to have.

message 9: by Susan (new)

Susan Heim (parentingauthor) | 2 comments Hi! I coauthor Chicken Soup for the Soul books. My first one, Chicken Soup for the Soul: Twins and More, will be published in March. My second, Chicken Soup for the Soul: All in the Family, will be published in October. I've also published a book of inspirational stories for families with twins called Twice the Love: Stories of Inspiration for Families with Twins, Multiples and Singletons. I have another inspirational book coming out in the fall called Moms of Multiples' Devotions to Go. As you can tell, I love inspirational books!

message 10: by Philip, Group Founder (new)

Philip | 25 comments Mod
Deb, do you take e-submissions or just hard copy?

message 11: by Philip, Group Founder (new)

Philip | 25 comments Mod
Hi Susan-definitely on target for this group. I would ask all authors to post their book covers-we can make this a must stop for food for the soul

message 12: by Philip, Group Founder (new)

Philip | 25 comments Mod
Susan-go to the main page of this group and scroll down-then hit add book so that the cover appears on the group page.

Susan M. wrote: "[bc:Chicken Soup for the Soul Twins and More 101 Stories Celebrating Double Trouble and Multiple Blessings|4330100|Chicken Soup for the Soul Twins and More 101 Stories Celebrating Double Troubl..."

message 13: by Philip, Group Founder (new)

Philip | 25 comments Mod

I am one of the publishers of ALL THINGS THAT MATTER PRESS and would have numerous titles that could be reviewed. What are your favorite types-fiction or non-fiction? At the moment, as we are new, we are only sending out pdf's for reviews. We have 15 books published with more coming. If you get a moment you can go to http://allthingsthatmatterpress.com and see if there are any titles that might be of interest. We began publishing this past October so titles are new with first time authors as well.
Debra wrote: "Philip wrote: "Deb, do you take e-submissions or just hard copy?"

we prefer hard copy but yes we take ebooks also.
we ask they be sent to us as pdf and that the submitter allow 8 weeks for a revie..."

message 14: by Susan (new)

Susan Heim (parentingauthor) | 2 comments Philip wrote: "Susan-go to the main page of this group and scroll down-then hit add book so that the cover appears on the group page.

Susan M. wrote: "[bc:Chicken Soup for the Soul Twins and More 101 Stories C..."

Thanks, Phil! I just added some of my books to the main page. This is a great group. I'm glad to be a member!

message 15: by Philip, Group Founder (new)

Philip | 25 comments Mod
Way cool! Thanks.

message 16: by Philip, Group Founder (new)

Philip | 25 comments Mod

Glad you are here and feel free to start a discussion!

Susan M. wrote: "Philip wrote: "Susan-go to the main page of this group and scroll down-then hit add book so that the cover appears on the group page.

Susan M. wrote: "[bc:Chicken Soup for the Soul Twins and More..."

message 17: by H. (new)

H. T. Manogue (shortsleeves) | 1 comments Hi everyone. My name is Hal Manogue. I am the author of Short Sleeves Insights: Live An Ordinary Life In A Non-Ordinary Way. I also write a collection of poetry each year called: Short Sleeves Spirit Songs. 2009 will be the fourth edition in a series of ten. I'm working on two new books and I also do some Freelance writing.I appreciate the invitation.

message 18: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 19, 2009 05:52AM) (new)

Heather Hummel
Phil - I'm not the least bit surprised that you're at the helm of this board! I came across it in a round about way, and here we are. I'm looking forward to being on your show on February 2nd...Groundhog Day!

All,
I'm Heather Hummel, an author who specializes in the genre of Body, Mind, & Soul. My first published book was Gracefully: Looking and Being Your Best At Any Age (McGraw-Hill), co-authored with my mother, Valerie Ramsey. My second book is Through Hazel Eyes: A Novel (PathBinder Publishing). I collaborate quite a bit with the authors of Hay House, including Dr. Christiane Northrup, Dr. Wayne Dyer, and Eldon Taylor.
I also own a small publishing house and am a coach to writers.

I live in Charlottesville, VA - home of too many authors to mention!
Cheers,
Heather
www.heatherhummel.net

message 19: by Yvonne (new)

Yvonne Mason (authoryvonnemason) | 3 comments My Name is Yvonne Mason. I have authored and published several books my first one being Stan's Story, A Touch of Love. This book is the reason I am accomplished not only in writing but in receiving my degree in Criminal Justice after being out of school for over 34 years.
Stan is my younger brother who is challenged. He was born in 1952 when there were no resources for the challenged. He was never supposed to be anything other than just a sad piece of humanity thrown into the wells of despire and lonelness in an asylum. This didn't happen he was kept at home and taught us as much if not more than we taught him. He became a pioneer in the Fulton County Ga school system at a time when the challenged had no rights and didn't receive and education. He graduated from Russell High School in East Point in 1973 and has been working in the public sector since he was 16 years old. He believes he can do what ever he sets his mind to doing. He has touched and influenced many lives and continues to do so today.
He is an inspiration to all who meet him and who read about him.
This book should be on everyone's list-

message 20: by Philip, Group Founder (new)

Philip | 25 comments Mod
Nice to meet you Hal and thanks for joining in.
Hal wrote: "Hi everyone. My name is Hal Manogue. I am the author of Short Sleeves Insights: Live An Ordinary Life In A Non-Ordinary Way. I also write a collection of poetry each year called: Short Sleeves Spir..."

message 21: by Philip, Group Founder (new)

Philip | 25 comments Mod
Hi heather-glad to see you here-also looking forward to our interview!

Heather wrote: "Heather Hummel
Phil - I'm not the least bit surprised that you're at the helm of this board! I came across it..."

message 22: by Philip, Group Founder (new)

Philip | 25 comments Mod
Sound like a great book-being in special ed. I understand the issues your brother faced. I hope you are trying to get the book into schools.

Yvonne wrote: "My Name is Yvonne Mason. I have authored and published several books my first one being Stan's Story, A Touch of Love. This book is the reason I am accomplished not only in writing but in receiving..."

message 23: by Yvonne (new)

Yvonne Mason (authoryvonnemason) | 3 comments I have tried for two years ever since it was published. No One seems interested.

message 24: by Philip, Group Founder (new)

Philip | 25 comments Mod
Not surprised-most educators have their heads...Do you have a blog on the topic?

Yvonne wrote: "I have tried for two years ever since it was published. No One seems interested. "

message 25: by Shannon (new)

Shannon McGee (confuzzledbooks) | 2 comments Hi I am a avid reader of mostly fantasy and Ya books. I know there have been books that I have read that inspired me but I will have to think about it and come back.

message 26: by Philip, Group Founder (new)

Philip | 25 comments Mod
Welcome Shannon and it would be great to have your perspective!

message 27: by Yvonne (new)

Yvonne Mason (authoryvonnemason) | 3 comments Philip wrote: "Not surprised-most educators have their heads...Do you have a blog on the topic?

Yvonne wrote: "I have tried for two years ever since it was published. No One seems interested. "

"

I have several if you google my name or Stan's Story, A touch of Love you will see me everywhere.

message 28: by Philip, Group Founder (new)

Philip | 25 comments Mod
Thanks-I will do that

message 29: by Shannon (new)

Shannon McGee (confuzzledbooks) | 2 comments Thank you Debra. I have the Ark, the Reed and the Fire Cloud in my TBR Mt. and other ones look interesting as well.

message 30: by Philip, Group Founder (new)

Philip | 25 comments Mod
What kind of lessons and inspiration do these titles provide-perhaps post the answer in the other discussion so we do not clog up introductions.

message 31: by Dianne (new)

Dianne Sagan (diannes) Hi everyone,

I'm so glad to be invited into this group. My first published novella, Christian fiction, "Rebekah Redeemed" was released this past week and I had my first book signing. We had a small group, but I sold 9 books. It felt like my whole life had been experienced for that moment. It's up on awoc.com (the publisher's website) as well as Barnes & Nobel and Amazon.com.

The story is of a young girl who must suffer through being treated as a slave in her relatives homes and "The Tainted Mirror: An Anthology" This book includes my story "Second Chances."

I have several other stories, articles, and books in the works and am a ghostwriter. I've ghostwritten 10 books in the past three years.

I'm eager to get to know you all.

message 32: by Philip, Group Founder (new)

Philip | 25 comments Mod
Nice to meet you, Dianne and welcome.

message 33: by Philip, Group Founder (new)

Philip | 25 comments Mod
Nice to meet you Vanessa-please post your book for others to see if you have not already done so.

message 34: by Dianne (new)

Dianne Ascroft | 1 comments It's Groundhog Day and I've popped my head out of my burrow in Northern Ireland to say 'hi' and introduce myself. I'm Dianne Ascroft and I recently released my first historical fiction, Hitler and Mars Bars. While it is a fiction it could be classed as inspirational as it's the story of a German boy displayed by the Second World War and aided by the Irish Red Cross. The story follows his life as he grows up in a foreign land - surmounting every problem he faces. He's a plucky child and is never beaten by any circumstance. You can check out more about the book at www.geocities.com/dianne_ascroft.

Dianne Ascroft,
author of Hitler and Mars Bars

message 35: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline Snider (jacquelinesnider) Hi Philip,

I like your group idea. I am always open to sharing the books I've read. They have definitely helped me change my life for the better.

I am a writer and editor and have a blog titled The way is love (http://www.jacqueline-loveistheway.bl...) that you and your group members might really like.

Thanks for starting this group!

Philip wrote: "Hi, my name is Philip Harris and I started this group. Welcome Bonita and others who have joined so quickly. I am an author of 9+ books, a publisher at ALL THINGS THAT MATTER PRESS, a blogger and n..."

Bonita wrote: "HI all,
I am Bonita Rose and have so far, published 2 photography books on blurb.com

If you love photography, you'll love these--very colorful and inspirational!

I am currently writing my ..."

message 36: by Philip, Group Founder (new)

Philip | 25 comments Mod
Welcome Jacqueline! Will check out your blog.

message 37: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline Snider (jacquelinesnider) Thanks, Philip. I hope you like my blog.

If you have any topics you'd like me to write about feel free to let me know.

Have a great day!

message 38: by Aaron (last edited Feb 04, 2009 08:37PM) (new)

Aaron Hoopes | 1 comments Hello,
My name is Aaron Hoopes. I am the founder of Zen Yoga an art that blends tai chi, qigong and yoga together to help people connect with their body, mind and spirit. My books are related to breathing, movement and relaxation. I've also written Eat Smart The Zen Anti-Diet
I'm just getting the hang of this site, but am quickly coming to love it.
wishing you all much peace,
Aaron Hoopes

Zen Yoga A Path To Enlightenment Through Breathing, Movement and Meditation by Aaron Hoopes Perfecting Ourselves Coordinating Body, Mind and Spirit by Aaron Hoopes Breathe Smart The Secret to Happiness, Health and Long Life  by Aaron Hoopes [image error]

message 39: by Philip (new)

Philip Lee | 1 comments Hi,

My name is Philip Lee. My latest book is Bittersweet: Confessions of a Twice-Married Man, which is a hopeful, and true story of love and second chances. I think it fits in this group. New to GoodReads. Glad to be here.

Best wishes all, Philip
www.philiplee.ca

message 40: by Philip, Group Founder (new)

Philip | 25 comments Mod
Nice to meet another Philip!

message 41: by Karen (new)

Karen Mains (karenmains) | 1 comments Hello, this is Karen Burton Mains, author of spiritual and inspiring books. I'm inviting all of you to read my books and to sign-up for my newsletter, Soulish Food: The Hungry Souls E-mail Newsletter, at http://www.hungrysouls.org/newsletter/

Thank you and God bless us all!

message 42: by Philip, Group Founder (new)

Philip | 25 comments Mod
Hi Karen and welcome-will check out your newsletter.

message 43: by Mark (new)

Mark (markdavidgerson) | 4 comments Hi. I'm Mark David Gerson.

I'm the author of two inspirational books

The MoonQuest: A True Fantasy, a visionary novel that's won five awards, including two for visionary fiction.

The Voice of the Muse: Answering the Call to Write, a blend of tips, tools, exercises and inspiration for writers in all genres and at all levels.

Thanks for the invite, Philip!
Mark David

message 44: by Philip, Group Founder (new)

Philip | 25 comments Mod
Hi mark-good to see you!

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

Welcome aboard, Mark. Your books sound great, especially the second one for me!

Best,
Heather Hummel
www.heatherhummel.net

message 46: by Mark (new)

Mark (markdavidgerson) | 4 comments Thanks for the welcome, Heather (and Philip)!

The link I posted has excerpts from both both books. Please feel free to check them out!

message 47: by Mark (new)

Mark (markdavidgerson) | 4 comments P.S. Heather: If you ever decide to add outside (ie, non-you) links to your site or blog, I'd love to exchange with you (http://thevoiceofyourmuse.com and http://markdavidgerson.com)

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

I checked it out - I love downloading this stuff to listen to on my iPhone while I walk my dogs. I'll do so.

Have a great evening.

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

Mark -
I sent you a friend request on FB. I'll e-mail you from there about exchanging links on our blogs. :)

message 50: by Mark (new)

Mark (markdavidgerson) | 4 comments And I'll take care of the FB rquest when I get back later this evening. Thanks!

« previous 1