Urban Fantasy discussion

GROUP READ OF THE MONTH--ARCHIVE > February Group Read: War for the Oaks *and* Moonheart Win!

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Theresa (last edited Jan 18, 2009 07:04PM) (new)

Theresa  (tsorrels) Time to start nominating titles for February...

The rules for submitting a book title:
1) One submission per UF member
2) Please submit the title and author
3) UF titles are preferred, but supernatural, sci-fi, and fantasy are okay too.
4) It must be the first book in a series or a stand-alone title
NOTE = If the title is in a series, but can be read without previous knowledge of the earlier books, feel free to submit it.
5) If we have already read and discussed the first book in the series as a group, the second title can be submitted.

Let's go to a total of 12 nominations or an end date of Thursday, January 22nd - whichever comes first.

For voting, we're going to use the Polls option again instead of submitting votes in the topic.

Please start nominating titles... and newcomers, please don't be shy - we would love to hear from you!

---

1. Stolen by Kelley Armstrong
2. Touch the Dark by Karen Chance
3. Moonheart by Charles DeLint
4. War for the Oaks by Emma Bull
5. Servant The Awakening by L.L. Foster
6. Moon Called by Patricia Briggs
7. Destiny Kills by Keri Arthur
8. The Iron Hunt by Marjorie M. Liu
9. Grave Sight by Charlaine Harris
10. A Rush of Wings by Adrian Phoenix
11. Halfway to the Grave by Jeaniene Frost
12. Touch of Evil by C.T. Adams & Cathy Clamp

message 2: by Theresa (new)

Theresa  (tsorrels) Stolen by Kelly Armstrong

This is the second book in Armstrong's Women of the Otherworld series. The first book in the series, Bitten, was the Group Read in December.

From Amazon.com:
Elena Michaels, the only known female werewolf, cavorts on a more fully cultivated supernatural playing field in this sure-footed follow-up to Bitten (2001). While investigating a suspicious notice advertising information for sale about werewolves, Elena meets witches Paige and Ruth Winterbourne-and, to her misfortune, a team of mortal and supernatural commandos who abduct Elena and Ruth to a remote underground bunker in the wilds of Maine. There Ty Winsloe, "billionaire and computer geek extraordinaire," is collecting a menagerie representing all the supernatural species that coexist anonymously with humanity (vampires, werewolves, witches, etc.). While his scientists study such creatures in the hope of distilling their uncanny powers as salable commodities, Winsloe hunts those captives who have outlived their usefulness in cruel most-dangerous-game fashion. Elena's efforts to outsmart Winsloe long enough to apprise her Pack of her whereabouts are complicated by a werewolf wannabe among the captors.

message 3: by Meg (new)

Meg (fictiontheory) | 10 comments Touch the Dark by Karen Chance

The Amazon.com summary:

"Cassandra Palmer has been in hiding for three years since she escaped Antonio, the master vampire who raised her after he had her parents killed when she was only four. A gifted clairvoyant, Cassandra was Antonio's useful tool until she discovered his complicity in her parents' deaths and fled his estate. Tony has finally caught up with her, but he isn't the only one. The vampire senate is after her, too, and they've sent sexy vampire Tomas, who insinuated himself into her life by pretending to be an abused runaway, to watch over her. After Cassie and Tomas are attacked, he brings her to the senate. There she learns that the mages are gunning for her, too, as is the powerful vampire Rasputin, who is gearing up to challenge the senate. Cassie is in a race against time to save her own life and find out why so many want her dead."

First in the series. And you can buy it used from Amazon for like three bucks plus shipping.

message 4: by Jason (new)

Jason | 36 comments Moonheart by Charles DeLint

We keep nominating him, but not picking him. Let's give the master of modern magic a run through. I like Moonheart because it predates NF, and is an excellent read in how magic and wonder could exsist around us without our knowldege.

message 5: by Jakub (new)

Jakub (jnareb) | 21 comments War for the Oaks by Emma Bull
Standalone. The book with which I began my adventure with urban fantasy.

From Wikipedia:
A fantasy novel by Emma Bull, "War for the Oaks" (1987) is the story of Eddi McCandry, a rock musician who finds herself unwillingly pulled into the supernatural faerie conflict between good and evil. War for the Oaks is a pioneering work in the subgenre of urban fantasy: although it involves supernatural characters, the setting (Minneapolis) is decidedly real-world.

From Google Books:
Acclaimed by critics and readers on its first publication in 1987, winner of the Locus Award for Best First Novel, Emma Bull’s "War for the Oaks" is one of the novels that has defined modern urban fantasy. Eddi McCandry sings rock and roll. But her boyfriend just dumped her, her band just broke up, and life could hardly be worse. Then, walking home through downtown Minneapolis on a dark night, she finds herself drafted into an invisible war between the faerie folk. Now, more than her own survival is at risk—and her own preferences, musical and personal, are very much beside the point.

----------
P.S. Could you please put a link with list of books which were already discussed (were Group Read), so to know what books not to submit? Thanks in advance.

message 6: by K (new)

K Flack (scorpitarrius) | 1 comments Servant: The Awakening by L.L. Foster

message 7: by Jason (new)

Jason | 36 comments This list is up Jakub, I think it only goes back to September of 08 though. Scroll through the front page under group reads to find it.

message 8: by Jakub (new)

Jakub (jnareb) | 21 comments @Jason: I cannot find it (the list of all group reads / books which were discussed already). There are bookshelves, but it is one shelf per each month, and there is no common shelf for all group reads.

message 9: by Theresa (new)

Theresa  (tsorrels) Jakub, here you go...

Group Read History

message 10: by Kieraanne (last edited Jan 16, 2009 08:10AM) (new)

Kieraanne Moon Called by Patricia Briggs

"Werewolves can be dangerous if you get in their way, but they'll leave you alone if you are careful. They are very good at hiding their natures from the human population, but I'm not human. I know them when I meet them, and they know me, too.

Mercy Thompson's sexy next-door neighbor is a werewolf.

She's tinkering with a VW bus at her mechanic shop that happens to belong to a vampire.

But then, Mercy Thompson is not exactly normal herself... and her connection to the world of things that go bump in the night is about to get her into a whole lot of trouble."

message 11: by Kami (new)

Kami (aidansmama) | 22 comments Destiny Kills by Keri Arthur

message 12: by Jakub (new)

Jakub (jnareb) | 21 comments Theresa wrote: "Jakub, here you go... [...:]"
Thanks a lot!

message 13: by Melissa (new)

Melissa The Iron Hunt by Marjorie M. Liu

message 14: by Anneliese (new)

Anneliese | 6 comments Grave Sight by Charlaine Harris

Amazon.com description:

"Ever since Harper Connelly survived a zap from a lightning bolt, she's been able to find dead people, a skill that makes the protagonist in the first installment of Harris's new series a tad more bizarre than the mind-reading heroine of the author's Sookie Stackhouse books (Dead as a Doornail, etc.). Harper travels to the Ozark town of Sarne, Ark., to find a missing teenage girl's body, accompanied by her stepbrother, Tolliver, who acts as her manager and bodyguard and with whom she shares a thinly disguised physical attraction that they manage to keep at bay by engaging in casual sex with various partners. Finding the body takes no time at all, but leaving town afterward isn't so easy. When Harper's life is threatened and Tolliver ends up in jail on trumped-up charges, it quickly becomes apparent that something sinister is going on in Sarne. Harris delivers a knuckle-gnawing tale populated with well-developed, albeit edgy characters. A nifty puzzle toward the end will challenge the most jaded mystery buffs."

message 15: by DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (last edited Jan 16, 2009 01:45AM) (new)

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (darkheart) | 113 comments I recommend A Rush of Wings. Adrian Phoenix has created an amazing new series with wonderfully rich and emotional characters. She has quickly become on of my favorite authors and I think everyone should read this. =)

HIS NAME IS DANTE.
Dark. Talented. Beautiful. Star of the rock band Inferno. Rumored owner of the hot New Orleans nightspot Club Hell. Born of the Blood, then broken by an evil beyond imagination.

HIS PAST IS A MYSTERY.
F.B.I. Special Agent Heather Wallace has been tracking a sadistic serial murderer known as the Cross Country Killer, and the trail has led her to New Orleans, Club Hell, and Dante. But the dangerously attractive musician not only resists her investigation, he claims to be "nightkind": in other words, a vampire. Digging into his past for answers reveals little. A juvenile record a mile long. No social security number. No known birth date. In and out of foster homes for most of his life before being taken in by a man named Lucien DeNoir, who appears to guard mysteries of his own.

HIS FUTURE IS CHAOS.
What Heather does know about Dante is that something links him to the killer -- and she's pretty sure that link makes him the CCK's next target. Heather must unravel the truth about this sensual, complicated, vulnerable young man -- who, she begins to believe, may indeed be a vampire -- in order to finally bring a killer to justice. But Dante's past holds a shocking, dangerous secret, and once it is revealed not even Heather will be able to protect him from his destiny....

message 16: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) Halfway to the Grave - Jeaniene Frost

Flirting With The Grave...

Half-vampire Catherine Crawfield is going after the undead with a vengeance, hoping that one of these deadbeats is her father – the one responsible for ruining her mother's life. Then she's captured by Bones, a vampire bounty hunter, and is forced into an unlikely partnership.

In exchange for help finding her father, Cat agrees to train with the sexy night stalker until her battle reflexes are as sharp as his fangs. She's amazed she doesn't end up as his dinner – are there actually good vampires? Pretty soon Bones will have her convinced that being half-dead doesn't have to be all bad. But before she can enjoy her status as kick-ass demon hunter, Cat and Bones are pursued by a group of killers. Now Cat will have to choose a side ... and Bones is turning out to be as tempting as any man with a heartbeat.

Reviews: "HALFWAY TO THE GRAVE has breathless action, a roller-coaster plot, flashes of dark humor, and a love story that will leave you screaming for more. I devoured it in a single sitting and I can't wait for the sequel. Sign me up for Jeaniene Frost's fan list!"

– Ilona Andrews, New York Times Bestselling Author

"Pairing-up a sassy half-vampire out for blood, with a sexy vampire on a mission of his own, Ms. Frost builds a strong and captivating world full of paranormal twists, a touch of humor, and a romance that quickly heats up the pages."

– Kimberly Swan, Darque Reviews (Read Full Review)

message 17: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 2 comments Touch of Evil by C.T. Adams & Cathy Clamp

message 18: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) Kathy wrote: "Touch of Evil by C.T. Adams & Cathy Clamp"

I just finished reading that one in November. Would be cool for this one to be read. I'd love to chat about it since it was so different than any vamp book I've picked up so far.

message 19: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) DarkHeart wrote: "I recommend A Rush of Wings. Adrian Phoenix has created a..."

This sounds pretty good!

message 20: by Theresa (new)

Theresa  (tsorrels) Okay. I created the poll. Go and vote! :)